BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

white exhaust smoke

5K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  titoe39 
#1 ·
have an 01 525i built 5/01 ,recently had some white smoke coming out of exhaust right after starting comes out like a fog machine, this has been going on for a week now, not driving the car ,doing some research. we pressure tested radiator and did a chemical test on coolant and no mayo on dipstick and filler cap, so that eliminates blown head gasket,
my suspicion is the ccv / oil separator , I remove the air intake and see a lot of oil leaking
on side of engine, must be coming from oil filter housing ( common with the e39) . i just remove the adjuster unit on the intake manifold and whoa ! manifold is soaked in oil. if the oil separator goes bad , would it send oil back into manifold causing it to burn in chamber ? (also check the spark plugs and they are black from oil burn no other dis-coloration).

I need a second opinion by concluding that it is the ccv, thinking about ordering parts now.

need help

#2 · (Edited)
That is correct. If the system clogs up, the oil gets sucked back into the intake manifold. The culprit can be the drain hose to the dipstick, or the oil separator. Or, the diaphragm could be cracked.

Probably should get your eyes checked: oil smoke is blue.

#3 ·
Thanks man, you're probably right it seems whitish on start ups but then turns bluish when idling, also check real oem.com for prices and part # and then called local dealers here in San Diego ,and they almost have a 40% mark up on smrp any suggestion on best prices for oem parts.

thanks again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.