BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Correct & complete OEM aux Retrofit install

309K views 438 replies 126 participants last post by  PAPER 
#1 · (Edited)
I made these 2 videos for those of you who have a FaceLift Ask Unit & FaceLift MMI
that would like to do the Auxiliary plug Mod in your car . I also made them cause
some 1 accused me of taking credit for there work . There are 2 members on here
that can confirm I have had the Auxiliary feature in my 2002 745LI for just under
4 MONTHS . They have Both been in my car on several different occasions & have
seen it with there own eye's a few month's back .

Those 2 members are =

Rookie2008 ( real name is MARK )
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=225734

B7M4W5 (real name is CARLOS )
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/member.php?u=260565

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY DAMAGE YOU CAUSE TO YOUR CARS .

Published on Jul 28, 2012

FOR ALL OF YOU PRIVATE MESSAGING ME , IT IS EASIER IF YOU JUST LEAVE
ME A # I CAN CALL YOU AT INSTEAD OF AN EMAIL ADDRESS .

THE PRICE ON THIS MOD DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU PAY FOR THE PARTS NEEDED .
THESE PARTS ARE NEEDED FOR THESE YEARS OF YOUR E65 E66 =

1 = ASK UNIT IS NEEDED FROM = ( 02 TO EARLY 06 )
2 = MMI SCREEN IS NEEDED FROM = ( 02 TO 05 )
3 = AUX CABLE NEEDED ALL YEARS NOT EQUIPPED WITH IT
4 = AT TUNER NEEDED = ( WHEN APPLICABLE 02 TO EARLY 06 )

& YES YOU STILL HAVE TO HAVE THE AUX FEATURE CODED
SO IT SHOWS UP ON YOUR SCREEN . THE DEALER WILL NOT
CODE THE AUX FEATURE ON YOUR CAR . YOU WILL NEED TO
FIND SOMEONE TO CODE IT FOR YOU , OR YOU CAN LEARN TO
CODE IT YOURSELF ...

=== READ CAREFULLY ===

BE SURE TO CHECK THE BUILD DATE ON PARTS &
MAKE SURE THEY ARE FROM A CAR BUILT IN LATE 06
, 07 , 08

IF YOU HAVE AN 02 TO 05 YOU WOULD NEED

1 = MMI SCREEN ( BUILD DATE FROM 06 UP T0 08 )
2 = ASK UNIT / CD PLAYER ( BUILD DATE 07 UP 08 )
3 = AT/TUNER ( BUILD DATE 06 UP 08 )

=== READ CAREFULLY ===
FOR THOSE OF YOU WITH AN EARLY BUILD DATE 06 .
YOU WOULD NEED

1 = ASK UNIT/CD PLAYER ( BUILD DATE 07 TO 08 )
2 = AT TUNER ( WHEN APPLICABLE BUILD DATE LATE 06 TO 08 )

THIS WILL WORK ON ANY 745 OR 750 FROM 2002 TO 2008 AS LONG AS YOU HAVE THE CORRECT PARTS NEEDED ...

=== READ CAREFULLY ===

YOU WILL STILL NEED TO HAVE THE AUXILIARY FEATURE
CODED ONTO YOUR MMI SCREEN BY SOMEONE WHO CAN DO IT .
PREFERABLY AN EXPERIENCED CODER .

THE DEALER WILL NOT ADD THE AUX FEATURE TO YOUR CAR !!!

PIN POSITIONS =

2 = RIGHT = RED/WHITE
7 = LEFT = BLUE/WHITE
8 = GROUND = BLACK OR WHITE & BROWN

DO AT YOUR OWN RISK
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR WHAT YOU DO
TO YOUR CAR !!!

PLEASE WATCH BOTH VIDEOS .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4imynuJ2Oc&feature=channel&list=UL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9lkxUDMrDk&feature=channel&list=UL

IF YOU CLICK THE SHOW MORE UNDER THE VIDEO , YOU WILL SEE
THE PART # & A LINK TO PURCHASE THE PART ON AMAZON .

LEFT SIDE OF THE PICTURE IS A NON FACELIFT
RIGHT SIDE OF THE PICTURE IS A FACELIFT

Attachments

See less See more
#325 ·
Hi there.

I really appreciate your helpful information on getting aux on 745li 2002. My car is imported from Japan and I need all of the parts mentioned above. Ask unit cs changer lcd screen. Aux. Haven't had any luck in finding any good ones in Canada. At least where I live. I am wondering if you can help me find those parts hopefully for not so expensive prices. I can be reached at 403 690 0615.

#326 ·
Feb 2006 750li facelifted model. I have the Ask unit with the mode and fm buttons. I have installed the oem (correct pins) six cord. I have had a professional program the MMI so it shows up in the display. Problem I'm having the same problem that 2 others had on here where it just shows radio station in the sub menu of the Aux selection instead of Aux Volume. I read a few responses that said buy a newer June 2006 and up Ask unit. They don't come cheep and most for sale on eBay just say 06 and not what month. So before I start to take a gamble at $350 a pop. I just want to be sure that when it comes to this exact problem the answers aren't just the product of someone's best guess. Great if someone that had the same problem as me in the early 2006 model where it shows the radio setting in the Aux slot on the MMi screen fixed it by say buying a 2007 ask unit. Or if one of the experts on here can say they are 110% sure that's the issue.
Much respect for your help folks

#328 ·
Hi everybody!
Thanks Paper for your informations. It's very useful.
I have e65 2001 and I'd like to get an aux to play music from my phone.
I read that I need to change Mmi and ask unit to show the aux option in i drive, correct? Is not enough tho code the actual mmi and ask unit by ncs, correct?
If yes, is this the easyest way to get an aux?

Thanks so much!
Luigi

#329 ·
I've a 2005 E65 - but I've bought and installed an MMI and ASK unit from a 2007 car. I've also coded the AUX into the MMI and it shows on the entertainment section correctly.

However I do not get any sound.

I've checked the pin with the multimeter and they appear correct according to this:

2 is right
7 is left
8 is ground

Paper/anyone, do you have any suggestions on how to diagnose this? The sound source works with some headphones, so it isn't that.

#332 ·
Success!

My problem: the connection I bought (from eBay) was for the *left* side of the plug, not the right (it wouldn't fit). So I assumed that was where it should go. I removed the 'inner' piece of the plug (black) from the outer piece (white, pictured) and simply put it into the right side of the ask plug, and, hooray - it worked!

Attachments

#333 ·
If my e66 was imported into USA from BMW on 09/17/2006, does that imply that I've got a late-06 model? If so, do I only need the aux-to-ask wire and can use my existing MMI + ASK? If so, do I just wire it in the back of the harness and get the AUX-option programmed in, or is there more to do?

Also, what exactly is the "AT TUNER"?

#334 ·
If my e66 was imported into USA from BMW on 09/17/2006, does that imply that I've got a late-06 model? If so, do I only need the aux-to-ask wire and can use my existing MMI + ASK? If so, do I just wire it in the back of the harness and get the AUX-option programmed in, or is there more to do?

Also, what exactly is the "AT TUNER"?

#335 ·
read through the entire thread (whew...) but didn't see anything that showed the back of the wood that you have to pry out to get to the ASK screws, I don't have a prybar tool like @paper shows in the youtube vids. looks like the wood snaps in straight/fwd into the dash. Was looking for a picture of the backside of the wood that shows the connector, and a shot of where it plugs into the console to figure out the best direction to pull on it and the make up of a tool to use. I can bend up a thin piece of sheet metal to have a go at it. Got the aux cable in the other day, I'm so over radio that it isn't funny, I'm actually listening to country music these days *shootMe*

#340 ·
Anyone else struggle to replace the wood-trim over the ASK unit?? The metal clips on mine are crazy tight and and after removal and attempted-replacement I cannot get it to sit flush with the ask unit, the unit is about 1mm recessed behind the wood-trim and the force needed to click it in seems very excessive.

Am I doing something wrong? Did I loose some shims that extend the bracket for the ASK/phone-pad slightly out away from the dash?

#341 · (Edited)
That side trim will just not pop off for me, and I went at it hard , the tang on the nylon pry bar is about 1/4" too long and presses up against the slide out drawers , I'll have to modify the pry bar to get a better fit. That trim is flush and tight. @paper, how you used a credit card to get the trim off is beyond me

#343 ·
Ha! Got the trim around the ASK unit off, it came out with the clips still attached to the pins. Went at it from the sides. The ASK unit shows 10-1-2006, but I'm assuming that this is an early unit from Jan 10 vs Oct 1 given European date formats. Need to go back to the videos and see about getting the plugs off the backside so I can remove it and install the aux cable.

#359 · (Edited)
Hello from France,

Thank you PAPER for this very interesting topic :thumbup:

I share my mistakes to help other person who wants to upgrade the AUX function :

My car is a 2004/01 745I E65 then :

MMI

First mistake : I bought on Ebay an end 2004 MMI because I thought it was a facelift but I was wrong, date on the side was KW : 39/04 then week 39 means September 2004 then it was same of mine. (MMI.C02 software in NCS the oldest), I sent it back to the seller.

Solution : I bought a newer MMI ref 65829157123 with KW : 08/07 on the side then February 2007 and It's perfect, AUX function was added without any problem with a NCS coding ! (MMI.C04 software in NCS which is the latest)

ASK

Second mistake : I bought on Ebay an end 2005 ASK unit because it was a facelift with mode button on the front panel but I was wrong, date on the side was KW : 43/05 then October 2005 but too old as I saw too late in this topic, I have the AUX function on the new 2007 MMI but instead of "AUX Level" on the display, I have the FM stations then this ASK unit is not AUX compatible (as my original CD ASK unit). But with ASK.C05 software in NCS which is the latest then it will probably have a firmware difference, may be copying the ROM of a recent working unit could work ??? I will send it back to the seller.

Solution : Today I bought on Ebay a newer ASK ref 9130764 with KW : 38/06 on the side then September 2006 and It should be perfect, I will test after delivery in one or two weeks.

#362 ·
If you are ready to go to NYC, the guy who programmed mine is in Queens and was very knowledgeable and accommodating to me - in addition to the Aux, I had him customize a whole bunch of settings to my preference. His name is Peter, email him at jerseybmwcoding -at- gmail.com and let him know the guy with the black 760LI V12 referred you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.