BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Problem w/ interior trim clips

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  ahull 
#1 ·
Didn't see this specific question anywhere else so here goes: I have a 2005 325i, but I believe the interior trim clips (plastic with a metal rod center) are the same across many models and years. I have purchased bags of these things over about 3 years, but the simulated wood trim pieces on the upper part of the rear doors just keep coming off. I have worked with the trim pieces, since they can be bent, to make sure they are not curved and putting undue pressure on the clips. In three years, I have probably installed 50 clips and the trim pieces have never stayed on more than a few weeks.

Has anyone found a way to help the clips stay positioned in the slots for a longer period?

#2 ·
I know what you're talking about and saw several new plastic "cups" crack over a short pd. after a refresh recently. When I redid them the last time I tried to not seat the pin too deep into the cup. Seems to be holding up better or maybe I haven't gone long enough for it to fail again. Ones that were just a little cracked I think I might have superglued the cracks then reinstalled.

If the plastic is too loose in the door panel, I wonder if a bead of dried glue on one side of each hole might tighten things up?

#5 ·
Well I wasn't saying to glue them in I was saying a bead of dried glue, or maybe dried rtv to build up the hole in the door panel so the cups fit tighter. Not sure I'd glue them in. Regulators

#6 ·
I had the same issue.. I bought several packs of after market clips from Bavauto.. and it continued.. I then bought the oem clips from bmw.. different design, diff plastic, and metal retainers... BUT i could not understand how they at the factory made them fit without destroying the panel. Extremely tight and the ears to hold in the panel were very big...

I modified them.. i took a file to the middle where it sits when in place.. Filed a deeper notch in one side, to be able to slip it in panel. Once in place, it isnt coming out.. and the trim has not let loose anymore

#7 ·
Madrone, my problem seems to be that the metal plug in the middle is just a little too small. ahull, great point! I think I will give that a try...build up the edges with glue or something, then push in the retainers. Maybe I could combine that technique with Madrone's idea of putting in a notch, once the edges are built up just a bit. Thanks!

#11 ·
Dealers should have plenty. I couldn't find elsewhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.