BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Ultimate iPod Info Thread

543K views 1K replies 361 participants last post by  Fharper2431 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to connect an iPod to my car and decided that waiting for the BMW iPod connector might take a while...or never happen, so I got the aux input installed ($64 part + $140 install).

This is what the aux input looks like--it's typically installed in the glove box, next to the flash light:

Here's the aux input install directions:
click here

I decided to have the iPod in the center arm rest (to be out of sight, and also have easy access).

For a power source, I went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out (not through an amplifier like the Belkin adapter, so you have a clean output), which I hardwired to the switched power lines of one of the power outlets in the rear center console (below the A/C vents). You definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Here's a list of parts you'll need--on a difficulty scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the easiest, I'd say this DIY is a 3--once I had all the parts, it took me half an afternoon to complete:

Monster iCarCharger--$40 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/produ...pple%20Products

Monster MP3 MusicConnect shielded cable with mini-stereo connectors (1/8" mini jack on each end)--$20 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3258

Griffin AirClick remote control for iPod--$40 at Apple Store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

Wire connectors--$4 at RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104016&cp
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018&cp

18 gauge wire--you***8217;ll need about a foot--I bought 4 feet to have extra ($0.12 per foot)

In-line fuse holder & fuses--$5

With this set up, when you have the audio input on aux input and the iPod playing & you turn off the car, the iPod pauses and shuts itself off after a few minutes. When you start the car, the iPod turns on and is still paused (at the point in the song when you turned off the car), and I use the Griffin AirClick to resume playing, by pressing the play/pause button (actually, pressing any button will work). I keep the AirClick remote in the drivers door storage area, so it's easy to press the play button. You don't have to open the center arm rest to access the iPod, except when you want to select a new playlist.

I first removed the coin holder in the center arm rest--there are 4 torx screws (red circles)--you can see the coin holder on the seat (yellow circle):

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console--I used a metal spackle knife to wedged it out from the bottom sides--you need to use a bit of force, and it will eventually snap out on both bottom sides. Here's instructions :
click here

The 2 clips on the bottom sides (red circle) fell into the center console so you need to find them with a flash light and replace them for reassembly. The pic also show the 2 clips from the bottom edge of the A/C vent (yellow circle--see next instruction).

Next you remove the A/C vent--instructions:
click here

There are 2 clips (yellow circles) at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove. The red circle shows a blue female connector which I connected to the green wire in place of the stock connector, to fit the harness I made:

To hardwire the Monster iCarCharger, I used the metal spackle knife to wedge open the part of the adapter that would slide into the power outlet, to reveal the spring in the center, and one of the metal pieces on the side. I attached a female connector to each and crimped to secure (red circle). The pic also shows the line out connection (yellow circle):

I assembled a harness to tap into the power and ground wires from one of the rear power outlets. The blue male connectors at the far right connect to the female connectors that originally connected to the power outlet (the red circled connection is unnecessary--you can use a straight wire here). The orange female connectors (yellow circles) connect to the power outlet:

Wrap all exposed connections with electrical tape, and reinstall A/C vents and power outlet panel.

Once you have the aux input installed in the glove box, you need to run the mini-stereo cable from the glove box to the rear center console. First remove the trim at the side of the rear center console, using a metal spackle knife and pushing towards the rear of the car--instructions here:
click here

Remove screw (red circle) from side trim panel and pull panel toward you and down. After plugging cable into aux input and fishing through back of opened glove box door, run cable into top of panel and behind it:

Run cable along side of rear center console, and into rear section:

Run mini-stereo cable and coiled wire from Monster iCarCharger into center console compartment below the coin holder--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location. You'll need to enlarge the opening, using a Dremel or similar tool, so the iCarCharger plug will fit through:

Install coin holder.

Here's the iPod in the armrest:

You can remove the iPod from the armrest to change playlists, etc.:

I ripped my CDs using Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME eocoder http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm at 256 kbps VBR, then volume normalized using MP3Gain at 94 dB http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ , and the sound quality is excellent. Anybody want to buy a CD changer??!! :)

See less See more
#326 ·
Well I just picked up the USB cable for my 535xi (the dealer was out of them when I got my car). Let me first say that it works perfectly. The sound quality is as good as when I listen with headphones (perhaps an oxymoron) and the functionality through Idrive is great. It is like having an iPod hardwired into the computer.

One question I have though is whether or not the iPod turns off when you stop the car. I didn't have time to sit in my car for awhile, but when I turned off the car the iPod was still charging and said OK to Disconnect. This concerns me that it may still be drawing power from the battery. I want to leave my Ipod in the center console of the car but it will be a real pain if I need to disconnect it every time I get out of the car. Does anybody know if it will switch off automatically after a few minutes? I'd hate to get to my car and find the battery of the car dead b/c I left my iPod plugged in.

Thanks in advance.

#328 ·
Well I just picked up the USB cable for my 535xi (the dealer was out of them when I got my car). Let me first say that it works perfectly. The sound quality is as good as when I listen with headphones (perhaps an oxymoron) and the functionality through Idrive is great. It is like having an iPod hardwired into the computer.

One question I have though is whether or not the iPod turns off when you stop the car. I didn't have time to sit in my car for awhile, but when I turned off the car the iPod was still charging and said OK to Disconnect. This concerns me that it may still be drawing power from the battery. I want to leave my Ipod in the center console of the car but it will be a real pain if I need to disconnect it every time I get out of the car. Does anybody know if it will switch off automatically after a few minutes? I'd hate to get to my car and find the battery of the car dead b/c I left my iPod plugged in.

Thanks in advance.
Internal systems stay powered for about 15 minutes and then shut off. But the minute you open your door, they power on - so you think it is always charging - but it isn't.

#329 ·
I got the Ipod kit installed on my '08 5 series, and all in all I'm happy with the purchase. I will say I'm a little disappointed at the list limitations and the time it takes to load the songs/ albums. The loading is especially weird. It's very intermittent. When I leave the ipod connected and come back to the car, somtimes it resumes instantly and other times it acts like I just reconnected it and it takes several minutes to load everything all over again. Does anyone else have this problem?

#330 ·
Something that is weird with the USB iPod kit is trying to get it to the Now Playing screen. I haven't quite confirmed that this is the way it is working, but it seems like if I turned off the car and it was on iPod, when I turn it back on it will go to the Now Playing screen. If I however make any changes to what I'm listening to it will go away from the Now Playing screen and I can't get it back. I can turn on the details which gives me the information for the song in the list with other songs in my playlist.

The other thing that I wish would store is random play. The system doesn't seem to know that my iPod is set to shuffle and each time I select a song I need to then set the playlist to random. I wish there was a setting so random would be on until I turn it off.

These are just minor gripes. The system really works well but I feel a few minor software changes would really help out.

#334 ·
I've heard from what I consider a very reliable source that the USB adapter that is currently factory install only will be a "dealer installable" option in the next few months. I was ordering the current adaptor and was told I should wait for the "USB one", made a few phone calls and heard the same.

Just passing along what I've heard, can't offer any more concrete evidence so feel free to completely dismiss the validity of this post.

Anyone else ask around and here the same?

#338 ·
I know the recent threads have to do with the USB adapter, but my question here goes back to the MOST ipod adapter that took the place of my CD changer.

My shuffle works...I like how using the track button continues to the next sequential song but the shuffle remains ON, moving on to the next random track when I leave it be.

With that being said, my firmware seems to be ok. So my question...does anyone else's ipod go back the beginning of the song that was playing when you turned off your car?

This happens to me everytime...and it's finally getting annoying. Especially now that I am considering listening to audio books. Does anyone have any recomendations for me? Is there anyone listening to audio books? Hitting pause does not seem to prevent the track from starting over. THANKS!!!

#339 ·
With that being said, my firmware seems to be ok. So my question...does anyone else's ipod go back the beginning of the song that was playing when you turned off your car?

This happens to me everytime...and it's finally getting annoying. Especially now that I am considering listening to audio books. Does anyone have any recomendations for me? Is there anyone listening to audio books? Hitting pause does not seem to prevent the track from starting over. THANKS!!!
Yes, and Yes. :mad:

I think the system is in beta test, the way it is so user unfriendly! :bawling: However, there wasn't anything better at the time, so what do you do?

My hope is that there will be a major firmware update, but not holding my breath. :(

I do use audiobooks, (Queen Noor w/ 13 CD's ) and it works as well as loading and unloading all those CD's, however, you have to figure out how the CD's are labeled. Not straight forward,

#340 ·
Interesting...so if you are listening to the audio book...how do you pick up from where you left off if you turn off the car?

#344 ·
I am running 1.1 i believe. I have chosen not to update the firmware. I also figured out that for audiobooks, windows users must manually change the format to .m4b if they are not already > the b stands for bookmark, and it remembers where it left off.

#346 ·
Has anyone had the problem with their ipod not being recognized or even coming on after being hooked up with the USB Audio Interface (option 6FL) cable. :dunno: I'll be in the car listening to my music, I get out turn off the car and when I get back in the ipod is dead.

To get it to work again I have to do a reset on the ipod. The good thing about this is my playlists are still listed. Any iformation will be appreciated.

#473 ·
Has anyone had the problem with their ipod not being recognized or even coming on after being hooked up with the USB Audio Interface (option 6FL) cable. :dunno: I'll be in the car listening to my music, I get out turn off the car and when I get back in the ipod is dead.

To get it to work again I have to do a reset on the ipod. The good thing about this is my playlists are still listed. Any iformation will be appreciated.
I had a similar problem with my 2g Nano attached to a 6FL cable in a 5 series I rented this weekend. Anyone have any ideas what the solution would be?

#347 ·
iPod USB hookup not working properly

Hello All.

I just purchased a new 2008 535i. I got the usb connection in the center console. When i went to plug in my ipod I had a few problems. If i play a song the song name is a random series of characters. Also when browsing by artist it does not show all my songs that i have. For example if i go into a particular artist, it only shows me 4 songs and I know i have more.

Any tips?

Thanks guys

#354 ·
iPod Connection to 2007 335i - Song Name Display problem

Hello All.

I just purchased a new 2008 535i. I got the usb connection in the center console. When i went to plug in my ipod I had a few problems. If i play a song the song name is a random series of characters. Also when browsing by artist it does not show all my songs that i have. For example if i go into a particular artist, it only shows me 4 songs and I know i have more.

Any tips?

Thanks guys
Hello all - Having the same problem here on a new 2007 335i with the iPod connection. Song Titles appear as the following examples:

bkil
bqpm
cfnp
ciaw
ctdp
dyyg

and so on...

Anyone know of a fix for this? The songs play, but no idea what they are by the directory listing. Folders and artists names are the same way... Is it firmware on the iPod? Or a software bug that my BMW dealer needs to update?

HELP!

Thanks,
James

#348 ·
Hey guys. If this has already been answered then I apologize for not reading the entire thread first. (I went through the first 3 pages and it was taking forever)

Currently running my 80GB via an Aux in line from the headphone port into my bimmer. I have the following questions:

-When I turn the car off the Ipod is still running(obviously). Should I completely power it down each time or will simply "Pausing play" save the battery life? (I read that on another Ipod help site)

-Is there any cable solution out there that provides both a charging option along with headphone port to Aux in port? (I'm trying to avoid the whole Ipod interface integration into the car - Might be turning it in way early for a 550i)

Also, if any of you have little kids this is a great idea for you. My little 17 month old daughter loves watching Barney on the ipod while I play the audio via the aux in jack. I bought this to childproof the ipod. It is called Tapole and trust me, it is great!!!(Great for restaurants too)
http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4995/24oct06tadpoleaz9.jpg
(I bought the green version)

#355 ·
Here's a thought: see if the problem persists when you connect a friend's, hopefully newer, iPod. I had this done at the dealer when my iPod had probs aftre I took delivery of my 650, and sure enough, it worked with the tech's Nano, so I went home and updated my firmware. Problem solved.

#356 ·
Hi

I am having the same problem with a 520D USB interface. I have 2 ipods, one 80GB and one 30GB, one enabled for disk access and one not and they both have the same problem. The format that you are seeing is actually the file structure on the IPOD (if you set the IPOD to disk use you can see this). The BMW is failing to intepret wherever the index is stored to make sense of the random file structure, this is a bit of a blow as the USB input is useless without it doing this correctly.

If anyone has theirs working maybe we could work out what the differences are?

Thanks

#358 ·
Factory Cable

Many thanks for that ChrisDressler, I came to that independent conclusion myself yesterday after talking to the dealers and Customer Service in BMW.

Stupid thing is in UK this cable is not free of charge! You pay the £150 to have the USB port fitted in the car and then have to fork out a further £30 for a cable. They also do not make it clear that you need the cable at the point of ordering so you have to go back later and purchase it.

All in all not very clever really, but I am sure a few days of inconvinience will be worth it in the end.

Thanks again.

#359 ·
Anyone personally compare the AUX input and the IPOD connector for sound difference? I read all 15 pages of the thread and I read about the difference when listening to classical music, but that was it. Anyone else? Anyone compare the difference between using the iPOD dock connector (on the iPOD) vs the headphone jack (on the iPOD) when plugging the iPOD into the AUX connector?

#360 ·
I have both the AUX and Ipod dock connector, the dock connector is much better. The only way to get the Aux connnector to sound almost as good, is to a)use an adaptor with 'line-out' capabilities from the ipod (i.e. the SIK imp or other cable) and use a high quality cable to connect to the AUX input.

Otherwise, the dock is the way to go if you are interested in high quality audio. Its much more convenient. I added the dock after making the mistake of installing the AUX first. I listen to classical jazz, R&B, and rock most of the time, and have the L7 stereo.

Being able to use the iDrive screen is much safer as well.

#361 ·
i-pod integration for 2004 530i

Hi i'm new to this forum, I'm looking to add the ipod integration adapter for the i-drive and the dealership asked if my car was prewired for it. How can i find that out?
They told me they'd have to check and if it wasn't it would be expensive to install.
I don't want to get ripped off, any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Rick

#362 · (Edited)
Hi i'm new to this forum, I'm looking to add the ipod integration adapter for the i-drive and the dealership asked if my car was prewired for it. How can i find that out?
They told me they'd have to check and if it wasn't it would be expensive to install.
I don't want to get ripped off, any help would be appreciated.

thanks
Rick
The iPod interface replaces the CD changer, so what I believe the dealer was asking is whether your car was pre-wired for the CD changer. Do you have a CD changer? If so, you're OK. If not, you need to determine if your car has CD changer preparation (option SA 694). The dealer can run your VIN to determine if you do or not.

See install instructions below.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.