BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

?about HP?

2K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  99flhr 
#1 ·
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new here and am doing some reserch on the 3 series because I might get one.
All my experience is in the LS1 motor and it's derivatives, F-Body, Corvette, etc... so I am totally new to BMW.

I was wondering what the 330i was rated for hp at the flywheel, and the wheels with the 5spd tranny?
Also what mods are the first most people do, and how much are they, any links to sites that sell parts?
What are the most popular suspension mods?

#2 ·
Another question I have is what are the differences in the different models, ie i, ci, etc... I do know the xi is the AWD version? Also what would you guys recommend as for year and model? What are the positives and negatives of each.
One note is that I will need a 4 door, for my family, so the M3 is out.

#4 ·
Mykdiver said:
Sorry if this has been asked before, but I am new here and am doing some reserch on the 3 series because I might get one.
All my experience is in the LS1 motor and it's derivatives, F-Body, Corvette, etc... so I am totally new to BMW.

I was wondering what the 330i was rated for hp at the flywheel, and the wheels with the 5spd tranny?
Also what mods are the first most people do, and how much are they, any links to sites that sell parts?
What are the most popular suspension mods?
Can`t speak for 330i`s, but over on the Z board you`ll see where 2.8`s rated at 193 return about 164 rwhp on the dyno. Assuming the same 15% loss, then the rated 225 would net out to 190. I also have SBC experience and there are no BMW mods that approach the power gained versus dollars spent value of a SBC. There are dyno tests where 6hp were gained with a $600 exhaust (again, on the Z board) If you search for C.A.I. (cold air intake) you`ll find they gain little or nothing other than intake noise.
Of course cam and intake changes are effective, but they`re pricy, ditto for forced induction. :yikes:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.