BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

The Ultimate iPod Info Thread

543K views 1K replies 361 participants last post by  Fharper2431 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I wanted to connect an iPod to my car and decided that waiting for the BMW iPod connector might take a while...or never happen, so I got the aux input installed ($64 part + $140 install).

This is what the aux input looks like--it's typically installed in the glove box, next to the flash light:

Here's the aux input install directions:
click here

I decided to have the iPod in the center arm rest (to be out of sight, and also have easy access).

For a power source, I went with the Monster iCarCharger, since it has a direct line out (not through an amplifier like the Belkin adapter, so you have a clean output), which I hardwired to the switched power lines of one of the power outlets in the rear center console (below the A/C vents). You definitely don't want to use the headphone jack, since it is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality & volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. The headphone jack sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the iCarCharger's 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound.

Here's a list of parts you'll need--on a difficulty scale of 1 - 5 with 1 being the easiest, I'd say this DIY is a 3--once I had all the parts, it took me half an afternoon to complete:

Monster iCarCharger--$40 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/computer/produ...pple%20Products

Monster MP3 MusicConnect shielded cable with mini-stereo connectors (1/8" mini jack on each end)--$20 from BestBuy:

http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=3258

Griffin AirClick remote control for iPod--$40 at Apple Store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/airclick/index.php

Wire connectors--$4 at RadioShack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104016&cp
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2104018&cp

18 gauge wire--you***8217;ll need about a foot--I bought 4 feet to have extra ($0.12 per foot)

In-line fuse holder & fuses--$5

With this set up, when you have the audio input on aux input and the iPod playing & you turn off the car, the iPod pauses and shuts itself off after a few minutes. When you start the car, the iPod turns on and is still paused (at the point in the song when you turned off the car), and I use the Griffin AirClick to resume playing, by pressing the play/pause button (actually, pressing any button will work). I keep the AirClick remote in the drivers door storage area, so it's easy to press the play button. You don't have to open the center arm rest to access the iPod, except when you want to select a new playlist.

I first removed the coin holder in the center arm rest--there are 4 torx screws (red circles)--you can see the coin holder on the seat (yellow circle):

Next remove the panel that holds the 2 power outlets at the back of the rear center console--I used a metal spackle knife to wedged it out from the bottom sides--you need to use a bit of force, and it will eventually snap out on both bottom sides. Here's instructions :
click here

The 2 clips on the bottom sides (red circle) fell into the center console so you need to find them with a flash light and replace them for reassembly. The pic also show the 2 clips from the bottom edge of the A/C vent (yellow circle--see next instruction).

Next you remove the A/C vent--instructions:
click here

There are 2 clips (yellow circles) at the bottom corners, which you use needle nose pliers to pull down and out, then you pull the assembly toward you and down to remove. The red circle shows a blue female connector which I connected to the green wire in place of the stock connector, to fit the harness I made:

To hardwire the Monster iCarCharger, I used the metal spackle knife to wedge open the part of the adapter that would slide into the power outlet, to reveal the spring in the center, and one of the metal pieces on the side. I attached a female connector to each and crimped to secure (red circle). The pic also shows the line out connection (yellow circle):

I assembled a harness to tap into the power and ground wires from one of the rear power outlets. The blue male connectors at the far right connect to the female connectors that originally connected to the power outlet (the red circled connection is unnecessary--you can use a straight wire here). The orange female connectors (yellow circles) connect to the power outlet:

Wrap all exposed connections with electrical tape, and reinstall A/C vents and power outlet panel.

Once you have the aux input installed in the glove box, you need to run the mini-stereo cable from the glove box to the rear center console. First remove the trim at the side of the rear center console, using a metal spackle knife and pushing towards the rear of the car--instructions here:
click here

Remove screw (red circle) from side trim panel and pull panel toward you and down. After plugging cable into aux input and fishing through back of opened glove box door, run cable into top of panel and behind it:

Run cable along side of rear center console, and into rear section:

Run mini-stereo cable and coiled wire from Monster iCarCharger into center console compartment below the coin holder--this pic has a white wire for easy identification showing location. You'll need to enlarge the opening, using a Dremel or similar tool, so the iCarCharger plug will fit through:

Install coin holder.

Here's the iPod in the armrest:

You can remove the iPod from the armrest to change playlists, etc.:

I ripped my CDs using Exact Audio Copy w/ LAME eocoder http://users.pandora.be/satcp/tutorials.htm at 256 kbps VBR, then volume normalized using MP3Gain at 94 dB http://mp3gain.sourceforge.net/ , and the sound quality is excellent. Anybody want to buy a CD changer??!! :)

See less See more
#615 ·
I bought an aux kit for my 04 530i from bavauto for 70 some dollars. the instruction tells u to plug one end of the kit to the back of the radio, and the other end is for the mp3. it says the car needs to be programed for the mp3 kit to work, the dealer wants 400 some dollars to install the kit and program. i thought thas expensive. how u guys get it so cheap? R we talking about the same stuff? i am guessing the car needs to be programed so u can use the idrive on the mp3, instead of hitting "next" on the mp3, u can change songs using the idrive. anyone got better ways?

#618 ·
iPod interface upgrade?

Hello all;

I'm a newbie here and have a question.

I just purchased a 2006 530i CPO with Nav and Premium Sound. As part of the deal I requested an iPod interface. The dealer said yes, but that they were currently out because BMW was in the process of doing an upgrade that would be shipping soon. Has anybody else heard this?

#619 ·
Does anybody know if 500 tracks and 255 artists limit was increased in the later versions of iPod interface?
Did they make any improvements form 2006 when this first came out?

Thanks!

#625 ·
Ipod Genius feature on Idrive?

Total nfg here. Been reading through the treads for about a month and soaking up all the info on my 328i I should be getting in March. One thing I have yet to see about the 6FL ipod integration is the ability of the idrive to control the Genius function in the Ipod. Is it possible to create a new Genius playlist through the control of the idrive? Thanks

#626 ·
Total nfg here. Been reading through the treads for about a month and soaking up all the info on my 328i I should be getting in March. One thing I have yet to see about the 6FL ipod integration is the ability of the idrive to control the Genius function in the Ipod. Is it possible to create a new Genius playlist through the control of the idrive? Thanks
I don't have 6FL in my car, but I don't think you can create any playlists (or anything, for that matter) through iDrive--but rather only play what exists on the device.

#628 ·
Depends on your needs but for me yes! If you drive all day listening to talk radio then maybe no, you don't need it. But the storage capacity of the iPod (vs burned MP3 discs in the console drive) and iDrive integration are well worth it in my view. There are third party options that will connect in the glove box and work with iDrive as well...

#629 ·
I have a 2008 550i with Navigation and without the CD changer. I also have an iPhone 3G. I want to get the iPhone cradle so I can charge the phone and use the external antenna. I also want to get a USB interface. I currently have about 80 albums on a DVD in MP3 format that I am playing through the iDrive and the Navigation system but I want my navigation system back. I just bought a 32Gb flash drive and want to play my music through the USB interface off of it instead. I have spoken to several dealers and received conflicting responses. Several said that they cannot retrofit the USB interface. They also want $330 for the iPhone 3G cradle and said that all the space under the cradle will be lost to wires.

Can I get the USB interface installed in my car and if so what is the Part Number. Should I let the dealer do it or can I do it myself?

Is $330 reasonable for the cradle (sounds expensive to me) and does it real wipe out all the space under the cradle with wires?

I am sure some of this has been covered in this thread already but I had a hard time finding it.

Thank you!!

#630 ·
Comments in bold below

I have a 2008 550i with Navigation and without the CD changer. I also have an iPhone 3G. I want to get the iPhone cradle so I can charge the phone and use the external antenna. I also want to get a USB interface. I currently have about 80 albums on a DVD in MP3 format that I am playing through the iDrive and the Navigation system but I want my navigation system back. I just bought a 32Gb flash drive and want to play my music through the USB interface off of it instead. I have spoken to several dealers and received conflicting responses. Several said that they cannot retrofit the USB interface. They also want $330 for the iPhone 3G cradle and said that all the space under the cradle will be lost to wires.

Can I get the USB interface installed in my car and if so what is the Part Number. Should I let the dealer do it or can I do it myself?
The iPod / USB adapter is currently only available as a factory installed option, although I've heard rumors it will be released at some point as a retrofit.

Is $330 reasonable for the cradle (sounds expensive to me) and does it real wipe out all the space under the cradle with wires?
For parts and labor, doesn't sound too bad, and no, it doesn't take up all the space below it. See this thread for details:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172379

I am sure some of this has been covered in this thread already but I had a hard time finding it.

Thank you!!

#632 ·
I got quotes from 3 dealers ($900, $700, and $500).
Haven't done it yet, though.
With all those rumors of 6FL retrofit for '05-'06 cars........i wonder if i should just wait and see.

#637 ·
IPOD Connection

All,
I am not sure what BMW USA is doing with the prices. I live in germany and own a US spec 5, I took it in last year for the IPOD installation. It ended up costing around $300 for the everything (parts, labor and the software upgrade). It was done with the interface and the IPOD is in the glove. No issues with control, everything is done thru the Idrive. I reccommend it as a exec touch. Nothing better than crusing 200k and changing from lil wayne to LL.

#638 ·
OK, I did a search on this thread but could not find an answer to my question. I have a 2007 550i with Progman V26 and the factory installed iPod adapter. It works great with my 80GB iPod. I just purchased an iPhone 3G and when I plug it into the adapter, I get a message on the iPhone that says charging is not support for this device. My Idrive recognizes the iPhone just fine and I can play the music no problem, but it appears that it's not charging my iPhone. Any suggestions? Will a progman upgrade fix my charging problem? :confused:

#639 ·
When you say the factory installed iPod adapter, do you mean 6FL (iPod and USB adapter, which as far as I know is the only factory installed one)? If so, I recall hearing there was an updated cable that addressed the charging issue.

I see you have an '07, but I don't think 6FL was available until MY08. :dunno:

#647 · (Edited)
Harmon Kardon Drive + Play Issue

I just bought a used '07 530i (SMG), the car came with professionally installed Harmon Kardon (HK) Drive + Play (first generation) adapter/kit. The problem is that the HK dipslay screen shows "Please Wait" message everytime I start the car, but when I connect the iPod the iPod screen dispalys "OK to Disconnect" after this the HK display screen only shows "Please Wait" and nothig else comes on (oh yeah there is also a "02,1" message that keeps on blinking on the lower left corner of the HK diplay screen along with the "Please Wait" message).

I was wodering if someone has encountered this and if there is a way to fix it. I called HK and they told me to reset the the kit by unpluggig the wires. The problem with that is the adapter, which is installed somewhere behind the dash which I dont have access to.

I would appreciate any help on this matter.

#656 ·
BMW Ipod Kit

I had the BMW IPod Kit installed on my 04 530i a couple of years ago. I think it has to be installed in the glove box as that is where the connection is. It works great on my radio. It only disables the CD changer as that is the same connection that is used to connect the IPOD to the radio. The individual CD player still works fine. I don't remember what it cost to buy the changer and have it installed, but I think the total was around $500.00, including installation.

#657 ·
i bought an aux kit for my 04 530i from bavauto. the dealer wants 420 for install and program. to save some money, i want to try to install the kit myself, then let the dealer program it. anybody knows how to access the back of the radio? post some pics or something. thanks alot.

#658 ·
I had the aux input installed a few years ago. Paid ~$60 for the part, and $140 for installation/programming (1 hour labor, per the BMW SIB, which is posted in this thread--try a search).

Installing it is a bit involved (you need to remove several dash trim pieces, then remove the head unit--I've seen DIY instructions and pix posted--again try a search), so I decided to let the dealer do it, since it was 1 hour total.

$420 for install is a rip. I'd suggest printing the SIB and ask the dealer why it's not 1 hour labor, and if you don't get satisfaction, find another dealer.

#659 ·
Wow...still keeping up with this thread, Stream!? Amazing. :D

#660 ·
'09 550i with CD changer and aux input in the rear of the center console.

I can control my iPod if connected through the auxillary input in the rear of the console but I don't like the wire coming out it and because the connect is someone loose, you get some static.

Should I just disconnect that aux input and install another in a different spot closer to the front of the car? Is there a kit that will charge the iPod and allow me to control music selection directly from my iPod?

#661 ·
'09 550i with CD changer and aux input in the rear of the center console.

I can control my iPod if connected through the auxillary input in the rear of the console but I don't like the wire coming out it and because the connect is someone loose, you get some static.

Should I just disconnect that aux input and install another in a different spot closer to the front of the car? Is there a kit that will charge the iPod and allow me to control music selection directly from my iPod?
If the only issue your'e trying to address is the static, I'd suggest getting another cable and see if that solves it (get a high quality one, that is shielded).

The first post of this thread has instructions & pix for a DIY install that does what you want--charges the iPod and you control music selection directly from iPod.

If you want to control the iPod using iDrive, you can get the BMW iPod interface (lots of info on it in this thread--try a search).

I assume you don't have the USB/iPod adapter inside the center console (it's a factory installed option)?

#662 ·
I am just using the AUX input on back of arm rest for now as paying $600+ for IPOD kit is a bit much.
Problem I am having is I have to take the Ipod out of the car every morning to goto gym then when I return to the car I put my gym bag in the trunk with the IPod in it and get into the car. Go to switch on the stereo, swear, get out of the car open the trunk, get the ipod and get back into the car.
I expect over time I will train myself to not leave the ipod in gym bag, or buy a cheeper Ipod just for the car.

I tried using my Iphone to play music however a message came onto the screen saying something along the lines of it will play songs but will not be able to receive or makes calls. What's up with that ? wrong aux cable perhaps ?
Right now the Iphone is using bluetooth and they are getting along ok so don't want to mess with it.

#663 ·
Yes m8 recently had it done by BMW they removed the cd changer for the ipod interface, got it done when i bought it great job no farting about with cd's etc if u r thinking about it for info the interface wont charge 4th Gen IPOD's go to apple and get an attachment called scosse approx £20 it charges ok then.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.