BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tail Light Bulb Replacement #3

3K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  bimmernut1 
#1 ·
Hi Guys; quick question, I searched and read the manual but could not find an answer.

How do I replace the tail light bulb in my wife's X3 '06, manual says to pop the side plastic cover but it seems a bit to stuck. I don't want to break anything or end up at the dealer for it.

Based on the book it is the #3 light attached to the body, I have the amber indicator on the dashboard.

Any help, pictures, instructions Etc. is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Figman

#2 · (Edited)
Take off the carpet cover on the inside and the light bulb will be accessible . I purchased my new bulb at the dealer, Its silver coated. The only one I could find at the auto stores was clear with the comparable socket base. Good luck
cheers
vern

#3 ·
.... manual says to pop the side plastic cover but it seems a bit to stuck. I don't want to break anything or end up at the dealer for it.
Assuming you have removed the fabric covered rigid panel, and the soft padding over the back of the assembly where the wiring passes through,
you may be stuck after pressing together the two plastic clips in the middle of the circuit board for the bulbs.

That is because the holes in the metal that the bulbs have to pass through are not that big.

You just have to carefully jiggle it until the bulbs can cleanly exit the holes.

(Same thing when putting it back.)

I think it is just the turn signal bulb that has a coating and might be easiest to get that at the dealer.

The 21W single filament tail/stop bulbs can be bought anywhere. Just make sure the base is silver, not brass, and the bulb # matches (1157 or something?), or is an upgraded # for longer life.

The instructions in the manual are not that good, as there are subtle differences between the passenger side and driver side in how outer panels are removed.
The book tells you to release the wiring connector I think, but this doesn't seem to be necessary.

Make sure the rigid plastic is locked properly in place on re-assembly.

Some owners have found that bulbs can just work loose and have not burnt out.

But once you get that far may as well replace them anyway as they lose intensity over time.

#4 ·
Did this last week

There is a button on the side at the top that operates a latch. Even if you push and hold it may not clear. It's totally mechanical so press it a little harder at the same time you pull on the panel from the top. It will rotate down. Then remove the carpet pieces covering the back of the tail light. Remove power plug then pull out the holder containing bulb.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.