Update: E34 M30B35 Custom Turbo Build - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Forced Induction

Forced Induction
Aftermarket superchargers & turbos as well as tuning for stock BMW turbos (N54 motor - 135i / 335i / 535i). Force-fed discussion to make your car go faster

Old 05-25-2017, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 1989 E34 535i Turbo
Update: E34 M30B35 Custom Turbo Build

Hi all,

I thought i would share my turbo build with everyone. When i started the build it was very easy to get side tracked and bounce around in circles due to the combinations that had worked and hadn't. I wanted to do a cheap build to have some fun with while i planned an Ls1 swap.

Started with the exhaust manifold from a 745i, had a mate of mine machine it to T3 mount. Useless for my setup, turbo didn't fit at all because there was not enough room off the head. That was pretty much the only part I bought that didnt work. Now the list starts:
(I am in Australia by the way......)

*Turbo - GT35 eBay copy - $300 (roughly from memory) Say what you want, its killer so far.
*Exhaust manifold - Bought off eBay Good n Tight i believe, pics will show. $700 I think
*Injectors - Standard
*Oil feed - Picked up using a "t" fitting off the back of the head where the factory sender is. I made my own braided hose for all hoses with bits bought at the local performance shop.
*Oil drain - Drilled and tapped block (together i might add, plenty of grease and wiping so the shavings stick)
*Coolant hoses for turbo - used both ports at the thermostat housing area (see pics)
*Stock management
*Auto Trans
*AFM fitted at turbo inlet
*745i wastegate and manual boost controller

I think thats it, anyway first build was a no go. Unsure what the issue was but never even made it over 4psi and did head gasket. I was kind of expecting it. Went to get a reconditioned head as mine was cracked between valve ports and came back with a new car, just had a rebuilt motor and hadn't even been started yet. Oh and was also registered so that was a win. Head $500 Car $1000 so i bought the car. Off topic a bit but its all part of it, took all the good bits from the first car, spare trans, diff and a few other bits.

Round 2
- Same as before plus:
*3" universal intercooler kit - eBay $220
*Walbro 255lpm in-tank pump
*Stole 6 injectors out of my mates Ls1 as he went to carby....... (i didnt ask!) 30lb I believe.
*Threw 745i wastegate as far as possible and bought one to suit the vband on the manifold, 8psi spring (can upgrade) tial style made in china $60 (same as turbo, all the same and works killer.
*Sequencial BOV with adapter pipe HKS copy $50, there is a vid on youtube of them being tested, Interesting comparison.
*Stock throttle body removed from the front, blanked and fitted to the back (just a hole saw did the trick)
Management was the hardest as i wanted to keep auto trans, contemplated them all and went round and round for months before buying a piggyback by ECUmaster, the DET3. was the cheapest option i could find, was not interested in eprom stuff. Another option was MAPecu, reflecting on it, id probably go with them if i had another chance. ECUmaster are a pain to get any help/info from and with MAPecu they share base maps and there was one there for pretty much the same build as mine.

Anyway I have been driving around in it and its really quite impressive, AFM fitted after turbo due to space and signal goes to piggyback then converted back to motronic but limited and controlled by an internal MAP sensor, still learning that side of things but the deal is, drive around for a bit at different speed, gear etc and it creates a log. convert the logged data to a map, then remove stock afm. I then plan on taking control of the injectors and running the DET3 in fuel implant mode. Havn't made the dyno yet as I have the dreaded 'trans program' error i cant work out.

Continued.....
Managed to get a base tune for it in FIT. Basically despite the auto transmission woes (which became clear) I continued with the piggyback, however took control of injectors. While i was at it, after being advised to do so i increased the size of the injectors again to 60lb, added a GM IAT sensor and got in touch with someone who is going to wire in a manual controller for the transmission.

I asked if he would be able to tune it once i (hopefully) have 4 gears, and so to hopefully finish it off (for now), the piggyback system and probably most of the wiring etc is going to be removed to make way for the Megasquirt 3 pro standalone system with Ls1 coils and a heap of other stuff. I wanted to go that way in the beginning but wanted to keep auto and didnt want to have the issue that i ended up with anyway because i removed the trans computers source of load etc.

Moral of the story is, just aim for the best possible outcome and ask questions. More is better and if you want a good end result, you cant do it cheaply. I am hoping to get the car back in a few weeks with all the new hardware and a tune. Ill post a finished couple of pics and some dyno info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161202_163707127.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	150.0 KB
ID:	598737   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170625_171214_801.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	606370   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10154846218972523.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	606378   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10154843017847523.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	606386   Click image for larger version

Name:	received_10154843017467523.jpeg
Views:	4
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	606394  

Last edited by BoostedE34; 06-26-2017 at 04:12 PM.
Advertisement

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Forced Induction
Today's Posts Search