Leak in '07 335 Conv - Page 2 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-05-2007, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: SLK350/335XI/325XI
ps--be nice to the guys at the dealer on the surface...but plan to take on them when it gets ugly. Haven't been to a dealer that is genuinely nice yet...
Old 09-05-2007, 01:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 12/06 Production E93/335
just found out my car will be in the shop for another week, at least, while they wait for the parts to come from Germany.

i stayed calm, and still awaiting to negotiate the comp, will stay friendly until the try to scew me.
Old 09-05-2007, 03:30 PM

Mein Auto: .
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipWOT View Post
In my opinion, the coupe or sedan are both better looking vehicles than the 'vert. And they all come standard with big sunroofs. You could probably get your dealer to replace your car with a coupe or sedan without costing you a penny due to all the trouble you've had with the convertible.

My husband has a sedan, so we didn't want another one. I literally cried when I saw the 'vert at an auto show. So beautiful, I told hubby I HAD TO HAVE IT. We ordered it in March, got it in July.... It's kinda my dream car for now. (until I see the new M3 in person, lol)

I really don't want to get a coupe, but if I have to.....i guess. I'll have my other half drive it for a while, until BMW has perfected this hard top thing. I understand that a new coupe would still be better than my car being in a shop!!!!!

Not sure what to do about an attorney. I called my att as soon as I know this problem was becoming big ... he doesn't do Lemon Law stuff. ...bummer. I'm not used to dealing with attorneys that aren't in my family, so I'm not too sure what to do now.

The service manager said they wouldn't just replace the car. .. Legally are they obligated to??? I really am not up to snuff when it comes to Lemon Law stuff!
Old 09-05-2007, 03:46 PM
Here since day one

Try puttting vaseline on all the rubber seals ... seriously I used to have leaky targa tops on my Corvette's back in the early 90's and on my other cars back when t-tops were around.

I would first put a coat of vaseline on all the rubber seals on the roof and if there was one particular spot it was a really bad leak I would gob it on ... you wouldn't see it or know it was there but I would do this every 6 months to a yr depending on if the car leaked again in that time and it fixed it.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:00 PM

I don't even have the car to try that, intreasting though. The service manager called an hour or so ago... apparently they're STILL waiting on stuff from the mother land.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
I don't even have the car to try that, intreasting though. The service manager called an hour or so ago... apparently they're STILL waiting on stuff from the mother land.

Start Here:

Florida's Lemon Law applies to NEW or demonstrator vehicles sold or long-term leased in the state of Florida. When consumers buy or lease a new or demonstrator motor vehicle, they must receive from the selling dealer or lessor the "Consumer Guide to the Florida Lemon Law." This publication explains consumer rights, gives steps to follow to resolve problems, contains a toll-free number for the Lemon Law Hotline and a form the consumer can use to notify the manufacturer of chronic defects and time out of service for repair.

To obtain a "Consumer Guide to the Florida Lemon Law," or speak with someone about the Lemon Law, consumers in Florida may call the Lemon Law Hotline at 1-800-321-5366, or 1-850-488-2221 for consumers outside Florida. This phone line should be answered between the hours of 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., Eastern time.

For more specific information about the Florida Lemon Law (including the time limits and the steps necessary to pursue a lemon law claim), click here. Some coverages are different for recreation vehicles. For information about recreation vehicles, click here.

Note: The information contained within these web pages is general information and is not intended to provide specific legal advice. This information applies to motor vehicles acquired on or after October 1, 1997.

http://myfloridalegal.com/pages.nsf/...4?OpenDocument

Note: I have also used Vaseline on various seals, including the rubber flapper in my toilet that is always completly submerged, and it works wonders - my top doesn't leak so I haven't used it on my vert, but I would if I had a leak.

I also love my vert, and would get another one before going to a coupe or sedan.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:57 PM

Thanks! Funny, I called that number a few hours ago... apparently their office closes @ 4:45pm!!!
Old 09-05-2007, 07:48 PM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert/14JGC/ 17Outback
I feel for you guys I honestly do as I would be upset with a new car that has so many problems as your Canadian BMW does. Sandy you said that the top is just leaking and yes I have been through this crap with the oh so famous Toyota models too waiting on parts from Japan for 6 weeks.
All I can say in Sandy's case is to stay the course. This should fix the car unless you have other problems.
To our Canadian friend, man I don't know what I would do but ask BMW to bring a lease and drag that dog back to Germany.
I honestly have not one bitch with my car and that should be both of your experiences when you drop this amount of money for a car.

I just don't get the problems you are experiencing as these should have been resolved before leaving the factory. When you tour the factory they check every system, drowd the car in water for leaks so all I can assume is that in shipping something happened or that you got that anomaly of failure items.

Best of luck, you both have our sympathy having been through this with a Toy that my mate still owns...
Old 09-06-2007, 05:55 AM

Thanks Brad! ...I'm just glad your vehicle seems to be "issue" free! ...lucky dog!

I called the FL Lemon Law number today. I'm going to file the paperwork to notify BMW and the State about my issues. The car is still in the shop. I wasn't sure what to do, I'm used to my attorneys doing everything for me. ...but I figured out the forms, FL really makes it easy (thank God!!).

I know it's just a stupid car, but I've been soooo stressed out abut this. I have lots of other stuff going on in my life, and this was like one of the few things that really made me smile big. It was my fun little toy...and they still have it. It just really has me upset.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:08 AM

Mein Auto: 330i, Mazda6, R90/6 R60/5
Quote:
Thanks Brad! ...I'm just glad your vehicle seems to be "issue" free! ...lucky dog!

I called the FL Lemon Law number today. I'm going to file the paperwork to notify BMW and the State about my issues. The car is still in the shop. I wasn't sure what to do, I'm used to my attorneys doing everything for me. ...but I figured out the forms, FL really makes it easy (thank God!!).

I know it's just a stupid car, but I've been soooo stressed out abut this. I have lots of other stuff going on in my life, and this was like one of the few things that really made me smile big. It was my fun little toy...and they still have it. It just really has me upset.
Another concern I would have is mold. Think you that new car smell changing to dank and musty. I had to replace the carpet, upholstery and floorboards in my Mustang conv, but it's 42 years old.

Good luck, hang in there.
Old 09-06-2007, 06:10 AM

BLT,

They are cleaning/drying out the carpet, and replacing the headliner.

I'm highly allergic to just about everything, SO that was a huge concern from the get.
Old 09-06-2007, 09:28 AM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
Ugh, that is awful they still have it. I don't think I would be confident in the roof lasting past four years, I had a similar issue with my new house...It was just built a few years ago, and the new skylight would leak every time it rained. Finally, the builder resealed it twice before replacing it. Every time it bloody rains I wonder if it will leak. I hope you will never have to worry about your car roof leaking every time it rains, b/c it's not fun. I am now confident in the replacement, but again, it was fully replaced. I hope your car roof is fully replaced, but a car is much more replaceable then a house, and I think you are doing the right thing filing the lemon papers.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:29 PM

Oh...not good, sorry about your house! Glad they got it fixed right now!

I just came back from the post office, sent out the LL paperwork.

I haven't heard from my dealership today yet, so I'm assuming it wasn't fixed. I can't stop thinking..."maybe I just got a Lemon" It really only seems as if I'm the only person have severe leaking. ...I honestly would just like them to order me another one, or even possibly order me a coupe. All of this is just getting ridiculous.

I've got to say, I'm a little concerned if I file against them the Dealership will ahte me and treat me accordingly after this is said and done. I really don't want to get on anyone's bad side. ...is that something I should be concerned with??
Old 09-06-2007, 12:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2017 330 Xi Wagon
I returned a car under FL lemon law. This was in 1997. The law as I understood it was the dealer had to replace the vehicle if it was returned for the same repair 3x. I think that was within a year's time.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
Quote:

I haven't heard from my dealership today yet, so I'm assuming it wasn't fixed. I can't stop thinking..."maybe I just got a Lemon" It really only seems as if I'm the only person have severe leaking. ...I honestly would just like them to order me another one, or even possibly order me a coupe. All of this is just getting ridiculous.

I've got to say, I'm a little concerned if I file against them the Dealership will ahte me and treat me accordingly after this is said and done. I really don't want to get on anyone's bad side. ...is that something I should be concerned with??
This will fall more under BMWNA's problem than your dealership's. BMWNA usually buys back the vehicle b/c their track record shows that no BMW should get lemoned. You should also call BMWNA, and voice your concerns. There are lemon lawyers who will give you free advice, but at the end of the day it is your call. If the dealership treats you poorly due to this incident, and you are offered a buyback from BMWNA (which most likely will happen), then you should switch to another dealership, b/c it is absurd that a dealership treat you poorly when they are getting compensated for any warranty work via BMWNA. At the end of the day that car is supposed to make you happy, if it isn't, then that's a problem that needs to be fixed by getting rid of it w/ no money lost.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 M5
Quote:

Don't feel bad, they should feel bad for what you have had to endure. Not one of those dealership employees would drop 50 Gs on a car like you did, and go through what you are going through, and not avail themselves of the protection of the law. They too would demand a new car.

I know you're not excited to have to do this, but it is necessary for your protection. And it is your legal right. And it's the right thing to do - it's not like you are complaining about the way your paint looks or some other arbitrary complaint (like you sometimes see here on these message boards). Good luck.
Old 09-06-2007, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 335
Same Problem Not As Bad

Last month (15th) I posted to this forum that I was having the same problem.

The dealership replace the seals and the locking mechanism. It greatly helped but did not solve the problem completely. I haven't returned it to the dealership yet to have it reexamined.

I will follow your quest for satisfaction with interest, hope it turns out ok.

I'll post if there is any change to the condition of my 335i.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:10 PM

CRAP- I just realized I filed the Lemon Paperwork with the wring freaking VIN#. ...it's going to come back to my Jeep. ...Not the BMW. (I only just realized this.) Should I resend all of the paperwork tomorrow, or should I contact the State and BMW to let them know what the correct VIN is?
...I've been so stressed out and have lost so much sleep over this, it's not surprise that I goofed. Damn.

Just got off the phone with BMW NA.

The gentleman I talked with said he's going to call my dealership and get a better idea about what's going on, then call me back within 48 hours. Gee, thanks.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelk01 View Post
I returned a car under FL lemon law. This was in 1997. The law as I understood it was the dealer had to replace the vehicle if it was returned for the same repair 3x. I think that was within a year's time.
From what I've been reading-

In FL you can file Lemon Law for one of two reasons... 1) If they've had your vehicle for 15 days or longer (which is cool, because most states it seems to be 30 days). 2) if they've tried to fix the same thing 3x or more.

SO, Since the car has been in the shop since Aug 20th.....I'm on day 17!
Old 09-06-2007, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: 12/06 Production E93/335
I'm not quite sure why it's taking so long to get the A-seal, if that's what it is. They did have to order mine from the USA (I'm in Canada, remember?), that took 5 days.

There was a service bulletin for the A-Seal. They did fix mine, after two tries. I think there may be a problem with getting stuff from germany right now, as my dealership called me today that they hope the part will be "shipped" by 10/11 of september.

I empathize your passion about lemoning your car! Just think, it'll take another 3 months to get a car, though.

I'm trying to do something similar, except we don't have any Lemon laws here in Ontario, Canada. I hate being litigous.

Stay cool, and friendly, and you'll be happy in the end.

I asked my dealership today to at least give me a 335 loaner
Old 09-06-2007, 10:17 PM
User

Mein Auto: 335 Convertible
I've got an '08 convertible on order from Bert Smith. Hopefully my roof and my service will be better than you've experienced, but you have me worried!
Old 09-07-2007, 04:13 AM

M, I wouldn't be worried! I don't think it's BS's fault, and it doesn't seem like anyone else is having leaking as bad as I am. Although I do have a few choice words I'd like to use to describe most of them in there. PM me and I'll tell you more about my wonderful BS experience, I don't want to smear that on the post. I can say, however, that I have worked well with the Service Manager there so far...I definitely think he's a decent guy.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalch View Post
I'm not quite sure why it's taking so long to get the A-seal, if that's what it is. They did have to order mine from the USA (I'm in Canada, remember?), that took 5 days.

There was a service bulletin for the A-Seal. They did fix mine, after two tries. I think there may be a problem with getting stuff from germany right now, as my dealership called me today that they hope the part will be "shipped" by 10/11 of september.

I empathize your passion about lemoning your car! Just think, it'll take another 3 months to get a car, though.

I'm trying to do something similar, except we don't have any Lemon laws here in Ontario, Canada. I hate being litigous.

Stay cool, and friendly, and you'll be happy in the end.

I asked my dealership today to at least give me a 335 loaner
It can't be just the A-Seal, I believe they tried that already. I think after that was when they said they called engineers. That would have been nearly 2 weeks ago; when their first attempt yielded no results. From my understanding they replaced that, still leaked, and then they called engineers, and now I have no clue what they're doing in my car... beach day???
Old 09-07-2007, 04:19 AM

My husband is going to call BS again today, I'll let you guys know what's going on. I really appreciate your support. I don't think I've been this frustrated or stressed out in a long time! This has been really constructive venting... I'm enjoying your feedback!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:00 AM

So, In Florida when you've hit 15 days you send out a "defective vehicle notice" form.

At 30 days you send out a request for arbitration.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search