Leak in '07 335 Conv - Page 5 - Bimmerfest - BMW Forums

Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 09-14-2007, 06:18 AM

Mein Auto: SLK350/335XI/325XI
Hello,

The SLK350 is slightly bigger than the Z3/Z4 inside and out. In terms of trunk size, you'd be surprise that there is an ample space to at least put about 10 grocery bags on my weekly shopping. This is due to how the roof is folded. I have had this vehicle since November of 2004 and my experience tells me that anything with moving mechanical parts is bound to be a glitch here and there. The roof of the SLK350 has less moving parts than the 335i but it is already making creaking noise (another visit to MB service dept...go figure). I hope that they correct this problem for you. For a brand new car and pretty expensive car, this is ridiculous!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: .
Thanks for the info on your SLK... hope they fixed the creaking noise!

I agree. I'm sending an email to some mooe people at BMW today. I'm hoping at this point the more noise I make the more likely they will be to just order me a new car. I erally think that would solve the problem, no other 335cic's are leakign like mine!

Today is my cars 26th day in the shop! I only had it for 25 days before it went in!!!! Unreal!!!
Old 09-14-2007, 06:41 AM

Sent an email to a few people at BMWNA... This is what I said....
Old 09-14-2007, 06:46 AM

Mr. XXXXX,

I would like to take one moment to make you aware of a situation with my 2007 335 Convertible.

My husband and I took delivery on my vehicle July 27th 2007. My BMW Dealership has had the vehicle since August 20th. Yes, the dealership has had my brand new car longer than I have now.

Our dealership (XXX, in XXX Florida) seems to be doing everything in their power to make the customer happy. However, we are not to pleased with the way BMWNA has handled the situation.

At this point my husband and I would like a replacement vehicle. That 335 Convertible was my dream car. It becomes more and more painful for me as every day goes by. I no longer want that vehicle; why not replace it? We truly believe that our leaking problem is an isolated incident. If we were to order a new 335cic we are confident that we would not have the same problem! We feel as if BMWNA does not care and is forcing us to take all of the steps necessary to Lemon Law the vehicle.

This is the order in which things have occurred thus far:

Ordered the vehicle in March. Took delivery on the vehicle on July 27th 2007.

July 28th went back to XXX complaining of water in convertible top. Our service advisor, XXX, said he didn't see any leaking. He informed us that if we noticed it again we should come back to dealership immediately.

Tuesday, August 7th went back to XXX again to let XXX see all of the water in the vehicle. I was in a massage and when I got out the interior was completely saturated, as well as the headliner. There was a steady stream of water coming into the vehicle through the side of the roof where roof met window, at the joint in the roof.

Our service advisor, XXX, had a few technicians look at the vehicle. They ordered seals (not sure exactly what they did, but that's what XXX told me). He said I should come back on the 20th when everything was "in" that way they would only have my car for one day.

The dealership continually promised my car to me "a few more days" or "maybe tomorrow."

My husband and I met with XXX XXX, Service Manager at XXX BMW, on Friday, August 31st. XXX also said they had been in contact with engineers from BMW; he felt confident that they would be able to fix the vehicle after they received a product from Germany. He was initially expecting the aforementioned product in that weekend or very early the next week. To my knowledge the product arrived late Thursday (9/6) or early Friday(9/7).

Thursday, September 6th 2007 I placed a call to BMW North America to make them aware of the issue at hand, just in case the dealership did not give them a clear overview of the problem.

Friday September 7th 2007 I "Express" mailed the Florida "Motor Vehicle Defect Notification" to BMW North America.

I went to XXX the afternoon of Friday September 7th. They had just tried to fix the vehicle again using the "new" product. They ran it through the car wash on site, and the "fix" did not seem to work. The gentleman that ran it through the wash was thoroughly soaked, specifically the left side of his body and his hair. The headliner in the vehicle was completely wet. It was so wet that when I touched it, it dripped.

The evening of Friday September 7th I received a call back from XXX (ext XXX) at BMWNA. He said they would be sending a representative from BMW North America out to take a look at the vehicle early next week on Tuesday, September 11th 2007.

Tuesday, September 11th, an engineer from BMWNA visited XXX to asses the situation.

Wednesday, September 12th I went by the dealership to see how everything was going. I believe the engineer had suggested a few things for the dealership to try, however the vehicle was still leaking.

Thursday, September 13th I received a letter acknowledging my "Vehicle Defect Notification" from XXX with BMWNA.

The same day, Thursday the 13th, I went to XXX BMW and had a meeting with the service manger. I informed him that on September 19th I planed to file for Arbitration and I plan to "Lemon Law" the convertible. I know BMW gets a final attempt at fixing the vehicle; he informed me that BMW's "last attempt to fix" would take place on October 9th.

We believe that we have been very patient with the situation however we feel that we are being strung along by BMWNA and we would like to have this situation resolved immediately! As we stated earlier, we have had our vehicle for only 25 days while the dealership has had the vehicle for 26 days! It is apparent to us that BMW is not able to fix the problem and we would like to resolve this situation immediately!

Thank you for your time and understanding in this matter. We look forward to hearing back from you!

Sincerely,

Sandy XXX & John XXX
Old 09-14-2007, 07:40 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert/14JGC/ 17Outback
Sandy:
This is such a shame that your car and the one fellow from Canada seem to have received cars that something went wrong on and leak badly. You and I both know that we are finally coming into the months we wait for all year, good convertible weather.

I really hope if you get this done with BMW that you stay with the model as I honestly know of no other car that does what this one does and makes me smile everytime I drive it.

Few other cars do that for me but my M3 still does as well.

To be totally honest BMW is not a company to admit fault and for that matter the Germans never seem to want to admit fault as it is admitting they might have done something wrong.

Wish you the best, you letter seems to be a good well thought out history of the car.
Old 09-14-2007, 07:52 AM

Mein Auto: 03 325cic; 04 545i sport
Good Luck with the arbitration. I drove the slk and it felt like i was in a honda 2000 or miata. Way to small for me. The clk looks ok but not as nice as the 335 e93. Its hard to find a better 4 seater vert than the 335.
*01 325 ci black - retired
*00 323 ci titanium silver retired
Old 09-14-2007, 09:21 AM

I know I love the 335. I just don't want to give BMW our money if this is how they are going to treat their customers!
Old 09-14-2007, 09:47 AM

Mein Auto: 12/06 Production E93/335
looks like you sent the letter.
Sorry, i didn't proof it before, I was golfing on this georgous day, that I didn't get to enjoy with my convertible on the drive to the course. It's been in the shop now 16 days this round, 10 days for other stuff before. Looks like it's gonna be another 4 or 5 days until I get it back (if the parts come in tomorrow).

Best of luck.

i pm'd you my personal email address. Feel free to contact me any time, and ask for how I've approached it.

Your letter is excellent, and should get some eyebrows raised to start with, and some action on Monday or Tuesday.
Old 09-14-2007, 09:55 AM
Lymphoma Cancer Awareness

Mein Auto: '10 Bora
Hmm... this truely sucks!! It's one thing for my former (several cars ago) piece of crap Cavalier to be in the shop alot but this is unacceptable for a premium car!

I can even understand why you wouldn't want to buy another... that's really your choice and not for any of us to decide. Good Luck and of course keep us posted!

I don't have to drive like I am in a race car everyday, It's just knowing that I can

"It's the Ulitimate Driving Machine, These things happen" - Officer after issuing a speeding ticket
Old 09-14-2007, 09:57 AM

Aww! I'm sorry you couldn't drive you car to the golf course.

It's silly little things like driving out to the beach that REALLY make me miss my car that much more!

I completely understand how you feel!
Old 09-14-2007, 10:23 AM

So I got feedback from some of you... I'd appreciate more feedback from others. Did I say the "right stuff" in my email?

I'm open to any constructive criticism or advice anyone has to offer on my situation. I really appreciate how helpful everyone has been so far, I can't thank you guys enough... It's helped me stay relatively sane through all of this!!
Old 09-14-2007, 11:04 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
Sandy,

I applaud the fact that you have remained calm throughout this ordeal. Your letter clearly states your expected resolution of this matter and it's up to BMWNA to respond appropriately. Be dogmatic about the replacement and I think that they will do so. No matter what they say, answer calmly with "I expect the car to be replaced". Given your circumstances, replacement of the car is the only moral/ethical thing to do.

When I first bought my Z3 in 2000, it leaked slightly in car washes. Never during rain. I lived with the situation because it was bearable and a small bit of water. If it was a problem like yours, I would have demanded replacement. We still have the car, but the problem seems to have gone away. Who knows why. It is only driven 5000 or so miles per year.

I recently bought a 2008 528i, although I really wanted the 'vert. The backseat is too squishy for my daughter and her friends. In 2 or 3 years I will probably get a convertible when she can legally sit up front, so I am curious how your situation resolves.

Anyway, good luck with your situation.
Old 09-14-2007, 11:23 AM
Advocate de diabolo

Mein Auto: 330xi '04, X5 35d '11
Sandy that was a very well written letter. To my understanding, you have given a stipulation to the dealership as well? I understand they have been very kind to you, but at some point they will have to take responsibility if BMWNA does not. I hope you are more strict with the dealership in the next meeting, put the stern face on, you can do it. The stern face from a nice customer always gets the cogs oiled. And if nothing is done about this, proceed with the lemoning. On this site, many people have proceeded to lemon, NOBODY that I know of has had to go through the entire process, b/c usually in the beginning of the lemon proceedings, BMWNA or the dealership has bought back the car, and the customer at the end has been satisfied. So, please remember, BMWNA or your dealership will not let you lemon the car fully, they will buy it back. Now the question is again, do you want another vert, or will you always have that lack of security whenever it rains with the vert, it is an odd way of putting the human psyche to the test. I hope you and your husband get what you want out of this stupid ordeal, which could have been ended any time by the dealership by them saying "Hey, its been over enough time, we'll just cut your losses, buy back the car, and give you a new one. Take a loaner until we have the new car for you." But they still HAVE NOT done that yet, which is beyond me. Yes, they are being nice to you, but I have a feeling inside, they are doing everything they can so they don't have to buy back that car, since BMWNA is not doing anything. Best of luck again.
Old 09-14-2007, 02:08 PM
Graham

Mein Auto: E93 320iSE convertible
I am a new user to this forum, but I noticed this thread regarding a leaking roof.

My car, E93 convert, was first on the road in June 07. Since then it has been back to the dealer on three occasions and the problem has not been rectified to date. The leak is coming in at the LHS rear (viewed from rear) and water is evident on the LHS rear window sill, right in the corner where it meets the rear seat. (A rear seat passinger would get a wet elbow)

The entire roof seals have been changed I am told. However the vehicle will be going back to the dealership next week and I will keep this forum aware of the progress.

However, I would be pleased to learn if anyone has noticed (while the roof is elevated) that the rear roof seal where it meets the corner is different on one side than the other side? I can photograph to demonstrate. I don't imagine that this is a design fault, but I am curious why it should be different other than it being the opposite hand?

Regards,
Graham
Old 09-14-2007, 05:26 PM

Graham,

Weird. I never noticed that about the rear. ...I didn't have any leaking there.
Old 09-14-2007, 05:31 PM

So....

A woman that we previously talked to concerning our car called me this afternoon!

...Her voicemail said something along the lines of "I just got your email and would like to discuss it with you."

You know what's funny... I NEVER emailed her! Hehe. I guess it got FWD to her.

I called her back and left a VM. She called me back and my husband and I were at the Mercedes dealership getting ready to hop into a car (test drive)! ...Not exactly what she wanted to hear, lol.

I might have a better idea what they are going to end up doing with our car early next week, crossing my fingers.

Last edited by SailinSand; 09-14-2007 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-14-2007, 08:04 PM

Mein Auto: 12/06 Production E93/335
SailinSand,
I wouldn't be surprised if the woman called today because her name was in the email, and someone forwarded your email to her, or had a discussion with her about the situation.

Yes, it will be very interesting to see what she has to say next week.

I know we're all looking forward to it.
Old 09-14-2007, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by SailinSand View Post
I have a friend with a Z3 and Z4, is the SLK similar size? ...it looks to be that way. My husband has a 325, so it wouldn't bee too bad if I had a small car. Who knows what we'll end up doing. Honestly, I'd be happy as a clam if they just got me a new 335cic! NO ONE else has had leaking like I have, so I'm 99% sure my new one won't leak like this!

Hi! I recently traded-in my 530i for a SLK350. The SLK is a great car. It is extremely well-built; it feels much better built than my 2006 330i (a car that I love, incidentally), for instance. You do get some rattle issues with the convertible top, but nothing the dealership can't fix (there are basically a handful of known rattle issues that everyone knows about; fixes are avail. on MB/SLK forums). It is also powerful enough, but not like your 335i. It does NOT however handle like a BMW does. It's a car that is more about smoothness rather than sharp handling. Having said that, I personally think that the handling is good. YMMV, of course. The reliability of the SLK has also been generally excellent (no serious problems on the forums except for the 2005 model year where they replaced the engines). Oh, you are also going to balk at the maintenance charges - MB does NOT have the free maintenance program that BMW does; the difference comes out to around $1500 over 4 years (a service A costs around $200+, a service B costs around $500+, and you'll generally alternate between these over the years). So, do negotiate aggressively if you want an SLK - you should be able to get great deals on the 2007's. Overall though, I've been extremely happy with my purchase. I should say, however, that I had very definitely plans for the 335i convertible as my next car (to replace the 330i), but I'm waiting for all the quality/reliability issues to be resolved before I pull the trigger. Definitely test drive the SLK (test drive the AMG as well if you can).

Hope this helps in your decision!

cheers,
suntan

2006 550i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 330i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 SLK350, Iridium Silver, Black Leather, 7-speed AT, Comfort Package, Heating Package.

Sold - 2006 530i, Titanium Gray, Black Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Last edited by suntan; 09-14-2007 at 11:01 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:17 AM

Suntan,

When the lady called we were about to hop into an SLK 350. I really do favor the 335 over the SLK. SLK: Less practical, but smoother ride...didn't make me smile the same way the 335 did. 335: Seriously my dream car. More practical since it's a 4 seater, and a more fun sporty drive. The hubby said we could consider it in the future if they replace the 335, but we still both hands down favor the 335 to the SLK 350.

It will all boil down to how BMW wants to treat their customer. The tone in her voice changed a bit after I said I was at the 'benz dealership. Maybe that will want to get them moving quicker on getting me a replacement vehicle? If they do drive me to lemon the 335, we are set and ready to order the SLK350! However, I really would just like for them to replace my 335cic!

Sandy
Old 09-15-2007, 01:15 PM
Graham

Thumbs up Roof leak

With assistance from my son today, we have determined the source of the leak we believe.

Applying the old fashioned method of trial and error, by pouring water from a jug unto various points around the roof, we found a place that resulted in water dripping into the cabin at exactly the correct place.

We noted that in the well of the hinge there was evidence of water. However, when we repeated the test on the opposite hinge, the well remained dry.

We further noted that the rear portion of the hinge was slightly proud of the roof contour. When we pressed it down my finger pressure, a small amount of water emerged from beneath it. We also applied a small amount of finger pressure to the forward portion of the hinge and we repeated the test. After a number of repeated tests we concluded that the hinge area was suspect and we shall report this to the dealership on Monday.

Finally, I hand washed the car this afternoon and applied water liberally to this area. I am pleased to report that it did NOT leak !! Happy Day
Old 09-15-2007, 01:22 PM

Hi, Sandy! I totally agree with you - I test drove the 335i once and I still remember the feeling! The SLK is simply not an adequate replacement for the 335i if your heart is set on the latter. But, if you're looking at the set of hardtop convertibles...there really aren't that many feasible alternatives, don't you think? I am just flabbergasted by the number of issues with the 335i though - inadequate oil coolers, high pressure fuel pump failures, convertible top leaks, and lately, from another thread, rear window motors burning up. That's the main reason for my decision to delay my purchase. In any case, I do hope BMWNA does right by you. You absolutely should NOT accept anything less than a full replacement for your car plus some decent compensation for all the inconvenience you've had to put up with (perhaps, extended maintenance + warranty?). It's really ridiculous for BMW to attempt to play hardball on a situation like this one (a leaking luxury convertible??). They really have to learn to be more wary of the reputation effects of their actions.

My sympathies are with you. Hope this all gets sorted out to your advantage soon.

cheers,
suntan

2006 550i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 330i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 SLK350, Iridium Silver, Black Leather, 7-speed AT, Comfort Package, Heating Package.

Sold - 2006 530i, Titanium Gray, Black Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Last edited by suntan; 09-15-2007 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 01:23 PM
Graham

Roof Leak

I apologise to the forum for posting an oversize picture and non-wrapped text. I'm not familiar with forums. I will try to do it better next time!

Rgds,
Graham
Old 09-15-2007, 01:31 PM

Hey, Graham! So sorry for your plight too. You guys over in the UK pay top dollar (ermm...pounds) for your bimmers compared to us Yanks. Do giv'em hell, good sir!

cheers,
suntan

Old 09-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Graham

Cheers, will do & thanks. Wish I could help Sandy though. It's a hellvagood car though & well worth the aggro.

Sandy, if you don't get the problem resolved and you get the car back, I shall be back at our home in Kissimmee in November and I would be pleased to do some tests to determine the source of the problem.

Rgds,
Graham
Old 09-16-2007, 04:45 AM

Cool, I'm not tooo far from Kissimmee! (in in the Tampa Bay area)
. So you live in England and FL. Funny, when I flew back form London around Christmas time I sat next to a guy who was flying back to his other house in Florida ... must be lots of you!

This whole thing has been a nightmare. I hope they will do me right now and order me a new car. After the conversation I had with the lady on Friday, I'm thinking they really want to get rid of me, or she says "make me happy." I'm sure they don't want me calling/emailing every day, maybe they've heard enough form me now and want to do the right thing? ...We'll see.

I ended up crying on the phone with the lady. Not trying to sound like a baby, but this whole thing has been a disaster for us. This really truly is the exact car I wanted. Ordered it in March, got it July 27th, and we only had it for 25 days...they've had it for 28 now. ...I can't help but get a little emotional about it. I know it's JUST a car, but I really liked this car, damnit!

I should have more news regarding a replacement vehicle, etc., on Monday or Tuesday.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search