BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Paint Cure Time/3M Paint Protection Film

7K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  AutobahnGraphic 
#1 ·
My new M3 (Jerez Black Metallic/Silver Novillo/Competition Package is set for Performance Center delivery on March 22. Am I excited or what? Here's my question (actually several questions): I am considering having Extreme Colors in Greenville, SC, do the 3M paint protection film on my vehicle. Question 1: Can anyone comment on the quality of work done by Extreme Colors? Question 2: Does anyone know what BMW recommends in terms of time before it considers a vehicle's paint to be cured? Question 3: Is the film more apt to be visible on a black car vs. a lighter colored car?

Thanks in advance to all who can shed light on my questions.

#2 ·
Question 1 - no idea.

Question 2 - Not sure of the time. However, last time I installed a clear bra, I did it within three days of pickup at the performance center. Why wait and risk road damage? One thing I did when I ordered my 335 is I bought a roll of blue painters tape. The thick roll, like 4". I taped up the front end until I could get home and have a local installer put it on. Yes, it looked silly driving down the road, but I wasn't about to get any road damage.

Question 3 - The newer films are thinner and thinner. But yes, in general, it is more visible on a dark car. But look at it this way, rock chips are also more visible on a dark colored car. Be sure to not get lots of wax into the edges, unless you want a white line across your hood.

I would still say a clear bra is the way to go. I will never buy a car without one. And when I finally order my M3 (or M4, whatever), guarantee I will install a clear bra ASAP. Congrats, btw. Hope that helps.

#3 ·
I would also like any input on OP's first question since I am doing PDC re-delivery this summer and would like to hear if anyone has had the 3M paint protection installed in the Greenville area and their experience. Like the OP i've heard of Extreme Colors in Greenville, but received no response to my e-mail inquiry in spite of the suggestion on their website to e-mail them with any inquiries. This has caused me some pause as to using this installer. Probably this inquiry might get better traction in the PDC section.:dunno:

#4 ·
not sure on the company you're interested in but if they don't do a full vinyl wrap, i wouldn't bother. i had this done on my space gray m3 and the entire hood is wrapped without a seam. there are several small barely visible seams on the bumper because of the curvature but the bumper, front fenders and side skirts are all 100% wrapped and the seams tucked away and not visible. i don't know why people would consider the half bra with knowledge of the full wrap. that powerdome is pretty pronounced and likely to get tagged by road debris, i'd want it protected.

not that i can directly answer your second question, but i drove mine from the dealership (on re-delivery after my ED) about 5 minutes down the road to the vinyl installer and have had no problems. the guy who did it has done plenty of bmw's fresh from the dealership without issue.

#5 ·
Thanks for all responses thus far. All have been helpful in different ways.
I don't know about Extreme Colors response time by email but I spoke to the owner shortly after leaving a voice mail on the installer phone line.

I guess I'm no longer concerned about the cure time for BMW paint but I sure would like to hear from a few people that have used Extreme Colors in Greenville, SC. They apparently use 3M paint protection film exclusively and cutouts or templates from another company whose name escapes me at the moment. The 3M product (Scotchguard?) carries a five year warranty against yellowing, etc. As for the actual vehicle coverage, I was actually thinking more along the lines of what they call a bikini wrap, since I want to see the paint luster on the hood and not a hood covered entirely in plastic. Everything doable below the front of the hood would be covered.

That's about where I am at the moment. Hope someone steps up and is able to tell me about their experience with Extreme Colors.

#6 ·
The other product you may be talking about is ventureshield, also owned by 3M, although they started as a separate company. I had ventureshield on my 335 and 3M on my X5.

#11 · (Edited)
I have the 3M Clearbra installed on my MINI, 650i, and M3. 3M is thicker with an actual layer of clear coat applied so you can wax it to maintain a shine like the rest of your paint. Xpel, I am told is a thinner film (perhaps minus the clear coat) to aid the application process - as it can be manipulated easier.

That being said, I personally would recommend the 3M Clearbra.

Just My Two Cents

#8 ·
Extreme Colors

Extreme Colors is a 3M certified supplier, so I wouldn't be concerned about the quality of their work (3M qualifies their installers). I haven't used them, however I have used 2 other 3M certified installers for 3 cars, including a 2011 M3 Jerez Black. Both installers did excellent work. The film lines are barely visible on the M3.

#10 ·
The only visible line is across the hood (hood was partially covered, including the front portion of the hump). The front part of the car was fully covered, so no lines. I don't know whether it was a bikini cut. I've tried to attach a few pictures from my European Delivery, but they don't seem to be attached. ???

#13 ·
OP, did you get this done in the PCD area? i am doing the same thing in May, wanted to see if this worked out for you

#18 ·
Paint Protection

Hey guys, just wanted to check in on this topic because paint protection and wraps are what we do, check out our site its got some great info on wraps & paint protection. We also offer digitally cut paint protection kits for sale as well as local installs, email me for more info! Thanks for the time!

Joe
Autobahn Graphics
www.autobahngraphicsinc.com
Custom Graphics & Paint Protection

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.