BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

840 Increased top speed limiter

8K views 34 replies 12 participants last post by  franc01 
#1 ·
What is the maximum speed of a X5 with and without this option?

#2 ·
Im not sure which engine ur talking about, the 50 or the 35i, they may be the same when it comes to top speed, I dont know. I have the 50 and my top speed was 135mph. Since I now have the Dinan stage 1, the speed limiter has been increased to 155mph. I think this is what option 840 does for you.

#12 · (Edited)
Option 840 is standard on the 35i Sport Activity model, unless you opt for the 19" All Season wheel/tire combo, option 2LK, that deletes option 840. The base and premium 35i models do not have the 840 option.

On the 50i, you have to order the M Sport package to get option 840. For some reason even though the Sport Activity with 20" wheels has performance tires, it doesn't add option 840 for the 50i.

On the 35d, if you order the Sport Activity package and opt for the 20" wheel option, 2LE, that adds the 840 option.

At least, that's how I believe it works according to the build sheets for the different models.

#15 ·
Reviving this thread...

I'm putting together a 2013 X5d with the SA package and the 20" wheels but didn't see option 840 come up. I'm going to see if this can be added on, as I would like the higher top speed. Has anyone had this added on as a separate option with the SA and 20" wheels? I will probably never use it but it's nice to know that I'm not being limited to 130.

Cheers,
Franc

#17 ·
SRSLY????? Any of you would actually drive over 130 mph on a public road in this country? The land of no lane discipline and crumbling infrastructure?

Doing so at a HPDE with no oncoming traffic, flag stations and Armco is one thing. But on public roads? Insane.

#18 ·
I'm trying to leave that HDPE door open! I'd love to experience the X5d in a controlled high performance environment with the adaptive drive and the 20" wheels.

Anyway, the build sheet and options are listed below. 840 is nowhere to be found!

2013 X5 xDrive35d - 13XI

Exterior
Alpine White
P0300

Packages
Premium Sound Package
S0ZPS

Sport Activity Package
S0ZAP

Technology Package
S0ZTP

Premium Package
S0ZPP

Accessories
BMW Assist Convenience Plan

Interior
Leather Nevada Cinnamon Brown
FLUEZ

Light Poplar Wood trim
S04BP

Options
20" Light alloy Y-spoke wheels style 214-with performance run-flat tires
S02LE

Adaptive Drive
S02VA

Multi-contour seats
S0456

3rd row seat
S04UB

Aluminum running boards
S0328

Nappa Leather Dashboard
S04M5

BMW Apps
S06NR

Attachments

#19 ·
Can i ask why u care what ur car does in regards to MPH:dunno:
Im not trying to be obnoxious:thumbup:
Rob

#22 ·
I'm not saying that I'm gonna drive the X5 at 150, but here's my reasoning: if the chassis is capable of handing 150, plus it's optioned with adaptive drive and the 20" wheels with appropriately rated tires, then why limit the vehicle to 130? Should all Ferraris be limited to 130, too? But why stop there? The highest speed limit in our great country is 85 mph so why not just limit all vehicles to that? There's a slippery slope here.

Drive safe!
-Franc

#24 ·
I'm not saying that I'm gonna drive the X5 at 150, but here's my reasoning: if the chassis is capable of handing 150, plus it's optioned with adaptive drive and the 20" wheels with appropriately rated tires, then why limit the vehicle to 130? Should all Ferraris be limited to 130, too? But why stop there? The highest speed limit in our great country is 85 mph so why not just limit all vehicles to that? There's a slippery slope here.

Drive safe!
-Franc
You don't have to justify anything, you have a legitimate question, either someone knows the answer or they don't i don't see why you're getting lectured.

#28 ·
I'm so sorry to state this question again!
Why does it matter?
200mph
Nobody is going those speeds here in the states

#29 ·
Caz they can?

Who knows maybe the op has built a personal proving grounds which enables closed circuit top speed testing?

I wonder how long did BMW specify the x5 can run on its stock tires, differentials and engine at that speed.

For instance,

Veyron: top speed can only be sustained for 10 minutes before tires shred. Tires is that vehicle weak point, but on a diesel I'm assuming the weak point would be the engine?

#32 ·
What's going on here? I don't think we're on the same page anymore. Last I checked, this thread was about a top speed limiter, not about speeding on public roads. And how does inquiring about a limiter imply that I am going to drive 130 or 155 on the highway? Say I wanted to take my X5 on a track and experience the thrill of going 155. This would also build my confidence when I am driving my family at 70 or 80 as I would have a better knowledge of the truck's capabilities. Or what if I want to go to an ECTA event and run the truck flat out because I just want to? If all of the prerequisites are there, i.e. chassis design, suspension, etc. then I should be able to drive as fast as I want to in the proper situation. This is a free country for better and for worse.

Cheers,
Franc

#33 ·
I applaud your sensibilities. Like I said in my first post, HPDE's are the way to go to safely experience your BMW near the limits. But there was another poster here who bragged about getting a ticket at 130.

That being said, I doubt that you will find any track, anywhere in the country, that has a straight long enough for your diesel X5 to reach 155. And if you do find one, make sure you give a lot of thought to how you are going to keep your brake fluid from boiling, and what you are going to do if / when your brake pedal goes all the way to the floor.....

#35 ·
Good points for sure! The X5 is going to be our family car with our most precious cargo so it'll likely never make it to the track. But one can dream...

Can't wait to get it. This'll be my first diesel vehicle and I'm looking forward to the low-end grunt!

Cheers,
Franc

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.