BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

"Simple" Oil change gone wrong

4K views 33 replies 13 participants last post by  Advocate 
#1 ·
I went to change my oil today and drained out something other than the oil. Not very much come out. It has a heavy oder and is light to medium brown in color. There are two openings underneath the x5 one being the oil filter and the on just north towards the engine and its a Hex 14 (H14) to get off. But that was not the oil and now I can't figure out what it was that I just drained. Please if anyone knows what the drain plug in the other opening was let me know! Thanks a bunch!

#5 ·
Call your dealer and 'fess up' and ask them what fluid you need to put back in and how to do it. They might tell you to "bring it in" but you obviously don't want to drive it so tell them you need the info and once you've corrected it, you can have them "check it out" to ensure that everything is back in place correctly (right fluids, right level, etc). Consider it simply an expensive lesson.

I use to fix computers and LOTS of people THINK they can fix things "just as well" once they have read it a book or two. They screw it up and it ALWAYS costs more to fix a screw up. I have told them "I can fix for $500". They say.."But XYZ piece to fix it is only $150. What makes you think I would pay $350 more than the part. My reply was "$150 is for the part and $350 is to fix what YOU screwed up. If you don't like it, take it to geek squad and they will charge you $800.

#4 ·
There will be one plug for drain on the lower side and one plug for fill and check on the upper half. I haven't examined mine close enough yet to give you a perfect answer, sorry :(

Jay

#9 ·
I did not take any trap doors off, but when I was just under there looks like there should have been two doors on there one for the oil filter and the other for the "diff" or "transfer case" that I thought was an oil drain plug. Pics are to follow. Actual oil drain plug on the 4.8i is father back behind the oil filter under another plate you have to take off.

#10 ·
Pictures

These are the pics I just took. If anyone can tell me how to add oil back that would be great. Took the wheel off thinking it would be easier to get to the top but nothing is ever easy to get to.

Also thanks everyone for the advice

Attachments

#18 ·
^Im just gonna imagine the jokes at the workshop you took it too. :sorry:

#20 ·
So, you had it towed to the dealer, they refilled the diff fluid but you did NOT have them change the oil and filter?!

:eek:uch:

You're persistent, I'll give you that much!

:thumbup:

#27 ·
Good call on getting it towed. BMW just use the lift. I would invest, if you can in either a mini garage lift (i have seen this on the fest) or a pair of ramps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.