BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

How to contribute to Germany's economy by speeding on A-bahn: Pulled over on A-bahn

8K views 79 replies 29 participants last post by  ianbjor 
#1 ·
Ok well just got back from the Factory Tour, very intersting how the cars are built. Perfect just-in-time system and each individual car goes across the line and not a batch system.

LOL I thought I was the first one to be pulled over by the German police, but apparently Jspira beat me to it. I was on the A-8 from Salzburg back to Germany. I am thinking it was the exact same downhill spot.

It was un-marked silver A6. Said that I was going about 142 in a 100 zone. Honestly I have to agree that the assessment. Basically gave me a 5km free, and said "You must pay 120 EUR right now."

I told him didn't have that much Euros and he asks "how many Euros do you have?" I told him only have 80 EURs and $20 US and he took it. Gave me the receipt stating the case. I showed it to the hotel clerk here in Munich and she read it and said that "it looked legit."

Anyone else with experience of being pulled over on the A-bahn and how it was handled?

#2 ·
Calif65GM said:
Ok well just got back from the Factory Tour, very intersting how the cars are built. Perfect just-in-time system and each individual car goes across the line and not a batch system.

LOL I thought I was the first one to be pulled over by the German police, but apparently Jspira beat me to it. I was on the A-8 from Salzburg back to Germany. I am thinking it was the exact same downhill spot.

It was un-marked silver A6. Said that I was going about 142 in a 100 zone. Honestly I have to agree that the assessment. Basically gave me a 5km free, and said "You must pay 120 EUR right now."

I told him didn't have that much Euros and he asks "how many Euros do you have?" I told him only have 80 EURs and $20 US and he took it. Gave me the receipt stating the case. I showed it to the hotel clerk here in Munich and she read it and said that "it looked legit."

Anyone else with experience of being pulled over on the A-bahn and how it was handled?
I was wondering how such a thing would have been handled. Really? What if you didn't have any cash? That seems so strange. Anyone else been pulled over?

#3 ·
Calif65GM said:

Near Chiemsee?

If so, it was photo radar.

Did they pull in front of you with a police car and a sign popped up in the back window telling you to stop?

Is the receipt rosa in color?

They were having a field day in fines over there.

They directed me to a rest stop and then a very nice officer accompanied me to a bank nearby. They were very friendly, joking about the fact that I could speak German, looking at the car, and such.

Our contribution to the Autobahn system that has no tolls.

I got pulled over in Austria for not driving far enough to the right when I was a student. That wasn't as much fun. My mother was in the car.

#4 · (Edited)
Jspira said:
Near Chiemsee?

If so, it was photo radar.

Did they pull in front of you with a police car and a sign popped up in the back window telling you to stop?

Is the receipt rosa in color?

They were having a field day in fines over there.

They directed me to a rest stop and then a very nice officer accompanied me to a bank nearby. They were very friendly, joking about the fact that I could speak German, looking at the car, and such.
Yep I got the exact samething, but it was un-marked Audi A6. In fact, I saw a bunch of regular police cars out there by the side. In fact, I think I had passed the Audi going downhill. LOL

BTW how much did you have to pay?

LOL I think the German police maybe reading bimmerfest's ED delivery forum and looking out for us ED members on specific dates and itineries. LOL :angel:

#5 ·
I have been pulled over 4 times in Germany (in the 10 years I lived there):

1. Autobahn A1 near Hamburg, 150 in a 100 zone 600 Deutsch Mark fine pulled over by a marked police car...:thumbdwn:

2. Autobahn A1 near Bremen 135 in a 100 zone, got stopped near the Zeven exit but no fine, friendly Auto bahn polizei..:D

3. Autobahn A3 near Karlsruhe 200 in a 100 zone... they pulled me over just before the Swiss border and took my driverslicense...:( lost it for 3 months and a 2000 mark fine...

4. Frankfurt am Main, near the "Zeil" was driving my silver 911 GT3 and they had a buletin out to find a Turkish guy driving the same car so they pulled me over with guns drawn etc... I was the wrong guy...:D no fine and an appology...

Once I got pulled over in Switserland, 200 CHF fine because I was driving 135 in a 120 zone...
Generally the police is very friendly in Germany if you cannot pay the fine they are more then happy to accept credit cards... my former manager did the dumb tourist trick but they didn't fall for that, they presented him with a credit card processing machine on the spot...:D

#6 ·
Ok good to know that it's common practice to demand payment on the spot and I didn't get scammed.

#7 ·
Calif65GM said:
Ok good to know that it's common practice to demand payment on the spot and I didn't get scammed.
Only for tourists, if you are a resident they are more then happy to send it to your house...
You have to be careful in Austria, Belgium, France and Switserland because the fines are extreeemly steep and to be paid in cash on the spot...

#8 ·
MG67 said:
Only for tourists, if you are a resident they are more then happy to send it to your house...
You have to be careful in Austria, Belgium, France and Switserland because the fines are extreeemly steep and to be paid in cash on the spot...
OK thanks for the info, headed to Switzerland on Thurs and I think I'll be slowing down to 120 now. :thumbdwn: :D

#9 ·
#12 ·
I am putting this as a sticky. I think I am gonna change the title to "Dumb Tourist Not obeying the law" :p

Or should we call it.." Thank you for visiting Deutscheland... and thank you for your continues support to the Law Enforcement efforts". :D

Can anyone else come up w/ a better title for these :slap: :kiss: "Putz"??

#14 ·
Sounds fishy to me - did they guy have a uniform, any identification that he was part of law enforcement?

#15 ·
SpeedFreak! said:
:yikes: This is completely new news to me! I thought there were NO speed limits? Can some one explain this a little better, please? I've never been to the mother land to try out my 3+ years of German.
a) Its called Vaterland ya putz.. :p These are Germans, NOT Russians ;)

b) To answer your question I will use this analogy: NOT all freeways have the speed limit of 65 MPH. Think about it ;)

#16 ·
Squawks said:
Are there not clear, vivid signs showing any changes in the speed limit(s) on the autobahn so that you can adapt your speeds accordingly? These sorts of posts are intimidating me how fast you're allowed to go on certain parts of the autobahn...
There are... but like speed signs everywhere, people tend to ignore 'em ;)

#17 ·
Squawks said:
Are there not clear, vivid signs showing any changes in the speed limit(s) on the autobahn so that you can adapt your speeds accordingly? These sorts of posts are intimidating me how fast you're allowed to go on certain parts of the autobahn...
There are signs everywhere telling you what the speed limits are. Some are on big electronic boards above the road. You do have to pay attention to them as you whiz by at 120 mph. :thumbup:

#18 ·
beewang said:
a) Its called Vaterland ya putz.. :p These are Germans, NOT Russians ;)

b) To answer your question I will use this analogy: NOT all freeways have the speed limit of 65 MPH. Think about it ;)
:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: Oh sh!t... :doh: I just caught that... took several minutes of staring at your reply before it hit me! :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:bareass:

#19 ·
WOW .. I guess I was really lucky.. Never went below 120MPH if I could in Germany, Switzerland, France or Italy..

From Venice->Milan->Genoa at 3:00AM my AVERAGE speed was like 110MPH (personal assessment) I was pushing the governor most of the time...

#20 ·
beewang said:
I am putting this as a sticky. I think I am gonna change the title to "Dumb Tourist Not obeying the law" :p

Or should we call it.." Thank you for visiting Deutscheland... and thank you for your continues support to the Law Enforcement efforts". :D

Better than calling it ,,Dumb Tourist Cannot Spell Deutschland" ?

#21 ·
SpeedFreak! said:
:yikes: This is completely new news to me! I thought there were NO speed limits? Can some one explain this a little better, please? I've never been to the mother land to try out my 3+ years of German.
Sorry to give you the bad news but there are speed limits on the autobahn. However, it didn't look like a lot of people were obeying it. However, if you see a bunch of cars slow down suddenly, slow down. It means that they are using radar or someone has spotted the police. However, if you see a round white sign with several diagonal black lines thru it (see beewang's sig), I think that means there's no speed limit. Also, I was warned by several people to slow down in Austria.

#22 ·
There are lighted signs with speed limits and there are signs everyone. For those looking to go, you should read the following website to get an idea of the signs:

http://home.att.net/~texhwyman/autobahn.htm

:) :) :)

Names for this thread:

"Speeding on A-bahn? - Euros, Credit, US dollars accepted on the spot by all officers"

"How to contribute to Germany's economy by speeding on A-bahn"

"Warning to speeders: The Need for Speed on A-Bahn can cost you"

Attachments

#23 ·
beewang said:

I'd call it "Fair Bump - play on" :rofl:

You get caught - take your lumps and move on :thumbup:

#24 ·
I guess I was lucky 'cause I had traffic around me in Austria and on the A8 in Germany that tipped me off that I should heed the speed limits.

I figured if the Porsche 911 in front of me was ratcheting the speed down and puling in behind a Ford Fiesta, I should do the same...

#25 ·
mdreviews said:
...."How to contribute to Germany's economy by speeding on A-bahn"
.."
Congrats
You won!! The title is now changed :p

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.