BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Possible to Disable Keyless Entry?

28K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  quackbury 
#1 ·
Does anyone know if it is possible to disable the keyless entry, start/stop feature?

Reason I'm asking is I go surfing and usually just "lock" my key fob in the car and take a spare key in my wetsuit to open the door when I get out of the water.

Thanks

#2 ·
I think you can use the spare key in the remote to unlock the car. Try it out and see if that works?

#3 ·
His problem is that if the key fob is in the car, someone could technically just walk up and touch the comfort access point to open and then start the car...

You might be out of luck on this one, but maybe some one could code it in????

Jay

#5 ·
That's what I thought too, but not sure it is true. A couple of weeks ago, I mistakenly locked my key the cargo area when loading my golf clubs. I had originally opened just the cargo area but did not unlock the doors. I tried unsuccesfully to open the car for a few minutes and finally decided to call BMW Assist and admit my stupidity. While I was on hold, I tried once more to open using the rear passenger side door and viola -- it worked.

First of all, I would think it wouldn't be possible to lock your keys in the car using comfort access, but I admittedly never unlocked the doors....so it could be user error. Secondly though (and more importantly), I was really surprised that I could open the car with the key fob sitting in the trunk in my golf bag. I was going to do some research on that, but never did. :dunno:

#8 ·
Regardless of whether the key fob is inside the car . . . to unlock the car you need a key fob *outside* the car (or use the key) - i.e. unlocking a previously locked car by touching the door handle with the key fob inside the car and none outside will *not* unlock the car.

I removed the key from my key fob, left the key fob inside the car, locked the car using the key (not the key fob), then tried to unlock the car by touching the door handle - I could *not* unlock the car. I then unlocked the car by inserting the key into the keyhole on the driver door.

Remember unlocking the car is one thing - to start the engine you will need the key fob.

OP's intent is doable - remove the key from the key fob, leave the key fob inside the car (hidden of course) and place the key in the wet suit.

#9 ·
Thanks everyone! Sounds like RPsX5d has found a good solution. When I get a chance I'll give it a try. (Waiting on delivery of a 35d with premium package, in Oct sometime!).

Never thought about it till after I ordered the car, figured at worse I would swap cars with the wife when I went surfing.

Thanks again.

#10 · (Edited)
I hope you guys forgive me for hijacking this thread. The Comfort Access...I don't need it. I don't want it. Security concerns overwhelm its convenient function. I hope you guys never have to pay for the repair this "Comfort Access". All the electronic bells and whistles installed in the new cars make the pleasure of driving secondary. For example, my Porsche Turbo has Porsche Communication Management (PCM) which integrates all radio, NAV, phone functions to an electronic menu, similar to BMW iDrive. To this day, I don't understand why Porsche made the NAV is so difficult and complicated to use. To command something simple, I have to scroll through pages of menu. So much so, I use my Garmin Nuvi instead of the built in NAV system. One good thing about the PCM is that the screen is a convenient location for the Nuvi suction cup. :eek:

#11 ·
FWIW, the car CAN lock itself with the CA remote inside. Mine has done it 3 times now. Each time, the fob was in my suitcoat pocket which I hung on a hanger behind the driver seat, closed the rear door, and the X5 locked itself. Luckily, each time it was in view of the satellite, so BMW Assist could unlock the doors remotely. If I had been deep inside a 3 story concrete parking garage, though, I would have been SOL. So now I make sure I always have the deiver's door open before I shut the rear door.

Even so, I have become addicted to CA. Every time I get a loaner without CA, I miss it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.