BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need advice on 17" (?) staggered tire setting for 335i

975 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Llarry 
#1 ·
Hi, guys:

Now I am considering getting a set of summer tires and rims for my 2007 335i. It is a base model and comes with 17X7.5 and 225/45-17 tires.

I really want to switch to staggered tire setting. I live in Chicago area and use the car for a 50 miles daily commute (and the car really makes my commute a pleasure). As you may know, the potholes and road condition in Chicago make me hesitate to choose 18" or 19" wheel. So I want to try the 17" staggered tire setting.

Here is my choice:

Tire:
Continental ExtremeContact DW (Max Performance Summer)
Front: 225/45-17
Rear: 245/40-17

Wheel: 17x8
OTEGI RACING MR118 Black Painted

Do you guys think this is a good choice?

I really need some good advice :)

Thanks a lot!

Peter

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
BMW fits 225/45R-17 front and 255/40R-17 rear on cars with staggered fitment. I would bump that rear tire up one size.

For what it's worth, I'm about to replace the tires on my '11 M-sport 328iT with Michelin Pilot Super Sport and "un-stagger" the tires, i.e.,
put 225/45R-17 on both the front 8" wide wheels and the rear 8.5" wide wheels. May not look as good...

#5 ·
I am not very sure about the understeering problem problem.

As to the rotation, BMW does not recommend rotate the tires :(

The reasons I want staggered size are:
1. better traction?
2. Looks better?
Both the reasons that you list are correct, I think. But those wide rear tires in the back change the traction equation between front and rear: The rear has more than before and the front has the same = understeer increased, as Tom says. That is why I am going the other way: To make the handling more neutral. Of course, such things don't make much difference in normal everyday driving anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.