BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

my 335i's first encounter with a new M3

11K views 116 replies 44 participants last post by  E92-Lighting 
#1 ·
yep, yesterday, one race at a stop light and one with a rolling start....I WAS PULLING AWAY!!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes i was pulling away from the new M3..... The M3 was surely in the break-in period as it had temporary plates... I am also in break-in period (600 miles), but I did not hesitate to red-line it :D :D

sweet!!!

#2 ·
Was he aware that you were racing him? Not trying to be a smart @ss by the way, it is a proven fact that the 335i is a faster straight line car than the M3.

#4 ·
Wow

That is almost ....I would be happy to just hang,. to pull away..to things the guy must not be completely comfortable with the setup and or he wouldnt go above5000 rpm during breakin. Is yours a automatic or stick
Either way very cool thanks for sharing.. cant wait to see one:thumbup:

#15 ·
That is almost ....I would be happy to just hang,. to pull away..to things the guy must not be completely comfortable with the setup and or he wouldnt go above5000 rpm during breakin. Is yours a automatic or stick
Either way very cool thanks for sharing.. cant wait to see one:thumbup:
Mine is stick.

However, the new M3 looks very mean, and the sound of its engine is amazing...

#10 ·
yep, yesterday, one race at a stop light and one with a rolling start....I WAS PULLING AWAY!!!!

I couldn't believe my eyes i was pulling away from the new M3..... The M3 was surely in the break-in period as it had temporary plates... I am also in break-in period (600 miles), but I did not hesitate to red-line it :D :D

sweet!!!
The guy was not racing you, or, he didn't know how to drive a manual. The break in period for the M cars is somewhat rigourous, for my M Coupe it was 1200 mile of no full throttle and no rpms > 5500. So if the same applies to the M3, and the driver was being compliant, than your aforementioned results are to be expected. One funny thing about driving any of the M cars, or perhaps any of the factory German tuners, is that it seems everyone stopped next to you at a redlight thinks that it's drag strip time. I am sure on some Nissan Altima forum there is a 19 year old posting "I totally walked this M Coupe, Yo!" Very very rarely do I give into the darkside at stoplights, as I tend to save it for open track days, but I commonly get the rev and clutch drop from a varied and asundry crew ranging from Civic DXs to Buick Regals, it is all very flattering.
-Getz

#18 ·
I am sure on some Nissan Altima forum there is a 19 year old posting "I totally walked this M Coupe, Yo!" Very very rarely do I give into the darkside at stoplights,
here's a story for ya. I haven't picked up my E90 yet, so I'm still tooling around in my Altima. 2 days ago, at a stop light, this dude pulls up next to me (I think it was a 328 but could've been a 335i, couldn't tell from the side, obv.) He's got this chic (kinda ugly but besides the point) in the passenger seat, he's revving his engine & all that crap. I'm just kinda rolling my eyes (I'm in the Altima, mind you) but figure what the hell, maybe help the poor guy get a BJ tonight, why not? So I flip to N, rev it a few times, then go back to D. (he's manual because I saw him roll back & forth a bunch of times) Anyways, the light goes green, I floor it and the moron CHOKES!!! I don't know what happened ( I can't drive manual anyway) but he kinda floored it and then his car died and I was skyrocketing in my 0-60 in 12s Altima, schooling a BMW in the process!

I Swear, I haven't laughed this hard in a long time.

#13 ·
A Vespa beat my car today morning. Of course, I was walking toward my parked car when it happened. :)

#14 ·
Yes, he was aware that we were racing each other...as I mentioned we did two runs, one at the stop light and one from a rolling start...we have even greeted each other when we split.

I am not saying that the 335i is faster than the new M3, cause it's not. I am just saying that in this particular circumstance I was pulling away....many factors involved in this....most probably the guy did not want to rev it too hard...

#17 ·
Even in a stock 335 you might get him off the line if he doesn't lauch hard a fairly high RPM, so it he wasn't quite ready to race or babying the car, the 335 low end torque might get the jump with good traction, but he M3 will certainly come around you once he gets her reved up. Even quicker to 60 in the M3, you can still technically cover more ground if you get the jump until he starts making power, but in a quarter mile he will definitely go around you unmodified.

#23 ·
The driver in the M3 maybe a 65 YO retarded

Or a undercover police who took photo of your speeding 335i

#32 ·
I beat a grandma pushing a shopping cart yesterday.. oh yeah. Walked right past her. She didn't even pull away from the store all that fast, and the acceleration of my feet off the line was amazing!! I think the BMW key chain in my pocket really helped the acceleration! Killed!!

#33 ·
well, I do not see why so much surprise for you....

The 335i is quoted with 4.8s 0-60 mph, pretty much the same for the new M3....and my race with the new M3 was up to 75mph...so with better skill and more agrressive drive a 335i could pull away from the new M3...of course, after 75mph the new M3 would kill any 335i.

#34 ·
The 335 is quoted by BMW as 0-60 in 5.3. 4.8 for the 335i was the best time ever recorded by one mag in a test, and as I recall, that car had steptronic. Most tests put it closer to 5 sec, and not quite as fast to 60 as the previous M3. 1/4 mi times are around 13.5 seconds. Most road tests of the new M3 have put it in the 4.3 sec range 0-60, and 1/4 mi times in the 12's . Give it a rest. If that guy was actually racing, you wouldn't have had a chance.

#35 ·
haha yeah i dont have a newer bmw but i have an e30 325i. its an automatic. i was at a stop light and this honda piece of crap pulls up beside me..i notice hes glancing towards me..(i think it was a civic hatch..idk) and i dont pay attention because his was a stick (moving back and forth..ect) and mines an automatic and he was just annoying. anyways, i thought that 2 can play this game..and right when the light turns green..well, he chokes. haha. i looked in my rear view mirror and was just laughing. haha ahhhhh man that was great. what a loser. yep theres my 2 cents on this.

#36 ·
I'm a little bit older now but what the hell are some of you smoking out there?..335 faster better stronger & more better in every way than the new M3...not even close...give me a break:flipoff:

#38 ·

sweet!!!
You did it. Great job.

#39 ·
these are the performance measurements, both 335i and M3, where you could see that up to 100-120 kmh they are pretty close

Véhicules : BMW M3 4.0 V S BMW 335 Ci

Boite de vitesse : manuelle à 6 rapports manuelle à 6 rapports

Puissance : 420 Ch 306 Ch
Couple : 400 Nm 400 Nm
Rapport Poids/Puissance : 3.94 Kg/Ch 5.31 Kg/Ch

Vitesse Maxi : 250 Km/h 250 Km/h
400m DA : 13.5 s. 13.9 s.
Km DA : 24 s. 25.1 s.
0 à 60 : 3.1 s. 3 s.
0 à 80 : 4.2 s. 4.2 s.
0 à 100 : 5.3 s. 5.5 s.
0 à 120 : 7.3 s. 7.6 s.
0 à 140 : 9.1 s. 9.6 s.
0 à 160 : 10.8 s. 12.2 s.
0 à 180 : 13.9 s. 16 s.
0 à 200 : 16.9 s. 20 s.
0 à 220 : 19.5 s. 25.7 s.
60 à 90 en 5 : 4.8 s. 4.7 s.
60 à 90 en 6 : 6 s. 5.4 s.
80 à 120 mini : 2.9 s. 3.2 s.
80 à 120 en 5 : 6.6 s. 6.8 s.
80 à 120 en 6 : 8 s. 8.5 s.
80 à 150 en 5 : 10.6 s. 12.7 s.
80 à 150 en 6 : 12.9 s. 16.8 s.
80 à 180 mini : 9.3 s. 11.3 s.
90 à 120 en 5 : 4.6 s. 4.6 s.
90 à 120 en 6 : 5.6 s. 5.4 s.
140 à 160 en 5 : 3.7 s. 4.7 s.
140 à 160 en 6 : 4.4 s. 5.9 s.
140 à 200 en 5 : 10.7 s. 13.1 s.
140 à 200 en 6 : 13.1 s. 17.8 s.
400m de 40 en 5 : 16.3 s. 15.4 s.
400m de 40 en 6 : 17.6 s. 16.6 s.
Km de 40 en 5 : 28.4 s. 27.6 s.
Km de 40 en 6 : 30.9 s. 29 s.
Km de 50 en 4 : 25 s. 25.6 s.

and this is the link: http://www.zeperfs.com/duel1598-1488.htm

#41 ·
Yeah, the new M3 def wasn't pushing it if you were pulling away in a completely stock 335. This I'm 99.9% sure about. You would get him from a standstill (more torque), but then you'd get killed. My JB2 car would hang with it I think, maybe even have a very slight advantage upto about 100MPH. That's when the better gearing and HP of the M take over.

#45 ·
All true at or near sea level. However if the OP was driving at 5K elevation, the 335i would have a nasty little suprise(altutide compensation) for the M3. No one here even stopped to ask the question before being rude. As I recall that part of europe is largely quite a bit above sea level. Safe to say that in Denver, CO. the 335i will eat an E46 M3 for lunch( it'll be very ugly), and press the new M3 to the limit as these NA cars will experience a 15% loss of power at altutude while the 335i just altitude compensates its way to much smaller losses, maybe not any at all. In flagstaff AZ(7000ft), I'll bet anyone with a new M3 that they will lose handily to a JB1 equipped 335 in the 1/4 mile. At anywhere near sea level, the M3 will be king in the 1/4 mile.

#50 ·
I only wanted to share with you my experiences while driving my 335i...especially when racing against the new M3, which, I understand, many of you did not have yet the chance to see it on street.

The reason for posting this is that I was expecting that the new M3 would eat me alive at any time...but this did not happen, and to even my biggest surprise, I was pulling away...

Now, trying to find the reason for this, please look at the figures I posted above and see that up to 60 kmh the 335i is faster than the M3 (3.0s vs 3.1s), and up to 80kmh they are both dead even (4.2s).

If you look more into the figures, you will se that only after 140kmh (that is ~87mph) the M3 will start to make problems to the 335i....but my race took place at up to 75mph...so, logically, I was pulling away!!! :D :D

Conclusion: I HAVE A GREAT CAR!!! (all the immaturity assumed :p )

#55 ·
wrong!

You do know that the new (E90) M3 is not out yet, right? Maybe you ran against a "dressed-up" 335. Believe me, the 335 is a great car, but there is no way that a stock 335 will hang with the new M3. Think about it..... do you really think that BMW would make the M3 slower than the 335?! Come on, man.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.