BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Does Z4 get a bad rap on Handling?

23K views 52 replies 23 participants last post by  Et Hop 
#1 ·
I have a 2004 330Ci, M package w 6 speed manual (225 hp, 215 torque, 3,700 lbs). Car is slow off the line but once it hits its power band it moves and with 49/51 weight ratio it is well balanced. Corners great - off ramps at 80mph in dry conditions are fun not scary. Always regreted not having a bit more power.

Looking at the new Z4 28i or 35i. Like the increase in preformance but have seen review on line that trash the cars handling (esp when going against the Boxer S). Is this a bad rap or are the reviewers on to something?

Would appreciate some feed back on what I can expect in handling vs my current car and thoughts on the 28i vs 35i

Thanks!

#2 ·
It's an awesome car. Bear in mind when you're talking about cars at this level, the differences are subtle. So, it depends on what you're going to do with the car. If you're planning to track it, a Boxster will handle better. But for non-track driving, you'll be very happy, especially if you get the M sport package. Very tight steering, holds corners beautifully, stiff suspension (adjustable) but comfortable enough to drive all day. And it's the best looking roadster out there, period. No regrets here. Go for it! :thumbup:

#4 ·
I personally believe that you get quite a bit of understeer when cornering during spirited driving. I do not track my vehicle, but I do live in the mountains of Colorado and have the opportunity to drive on twisty roads a lot. There is just something about it that feels like it wants to push off the outer corner of a turn. During daily driving it is a great vehicle and quite comfortable. I am getting ready to sell mine when I order a new 435i, but if it weren't for the new car I would be more than happy to keep my current one.

#21 ·
I think you're already looking to make a move to get more power. If you buy the N20, you'll be second guessing the decision.

#6 ·
The Z4 RFT's, especially, in Frt magnify the understeer. The F & R RFT's in combination make for a jittery car over sharp pavement breaks, due to the stiff sidwalls. Replace the RFT's with Michelin Pilot Super Spors or other top quality summer tire and those problems are gone. A Z4 28i will be substancially less than the Boxster, better looking, and much more practical - IMO and speaking from experience on the tires.

#7 ·
+1 on ditching the RFT's. It's a totally different car.

#9 ·
I swapped out my RFT's for regular tires at delivery. No new rims needed. Just bring the tires you want in advance and they'll do it for you. Didnt' even charge me. Then post your RFT's in the classifieds and sell 'em!

#39 ·
+1, I advertised my RFTs before I took delivery and sold them to a guy who needed tires for his 335i at lease turn in. He met me at the dealer at delivery and I had Tire Rack ship my new tires to the dealer. RFTs were removed from my car and installed on the 335i. Dealer installed my new tires. Both left the dealer happy.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using BimmerApp mobile app

#10 ·
I'd like to reduce the understeer as much as possible. I've thought of two possible ways to do this:
1) sway bars - reduce the size of the front sway bar and increase the size of the rear sway bar
2) alignment - I would add a bit of negative camber up front, add a little bit of toe out up front and a little bit of toe in in the rear.

What do you guys think?

#11 · (Edited)
A local indy that does BMW work says he takes out at least half the negative camber in the rear. He says a number of Z-ers instruct him to do so. They tell him the handling is much improved. I haven't asked him about toe-in/toe-out, but I will. Of course, the RFTs must go before anything can be done. Interesting area of inquiry compared to intercoolers, downpipes, ECU maps, etc.

#12 ·
What if you get a flat? The Z4 has no spare or inflation kit. Are the run flats really that bad, my GF has them on her 2012 - 128 and I love the piece of mind when she is out by herself. What do the RF's do so different?? my new 2014 Z435Is is coming with them - $73,850.00 and I have to bring 4 tires with me???

#23 ·
I find myself in the exact situation as Rob Mc. I, too, am considering the E89 Z4 as it is such a good looking roadster, but every, I mean EVERY road test I've read complains about the handling. I currently have a 335i coupe, and it is a blast to drive. Love the drive train and would choose the sdrive 35i to get the same engine and a manual trans. But I'm not keen on giving up handling to get this car. Dinan does not offer suspension mods for it. Turner Motorsport does, and someone there recommended this upgrade for me as it won't be a track car, but will improve handling w/out a big sacrifice in ride comfort.

http://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-11575-e89-z4-28i30i35i35is-with-edc-kw-coilover-kit-variant-1.aspx

Has anyone here gone w/ a suspension upgrade on their E89 Z4? What was the result?

#28 · (Edited)
I am very happy with the adaptive suspension and personally see no reason to go aftermarket - I am not tracking the car. Occasionally an Autocross. The factory RFT's are no joy - to put it bluntly - they suck. Too hard a compond in frt and too stiff all around = massive understeer even if you don't push it hard. That is why the reviews are not good on the handling. Change the tires to some premium high performance non run flat tire and the understeer is almost non existant. I and many other are running some size variation of Michelin PSS. I went up in profile and width for better ride and grip. A world of difference. BMW did themselfs a big disservice by letting journalists drive the car with stock tires.

#24 ·
Why don't you just go out and test drive the car? See how it feels for yourself compared to your 335. A lot of what people say in influenced by the RFT's and how the Z compares to a Boxter. Make your own decision.

#25 ·
Everything you say makes sense. Getting a salesman to let me find a road of my choice and drive it in a spirited manner may not be an easy enterprise! I see you have the M Sport Package. Aside from changing out the tires, have you done anything to enhance it's handling? Do you notice any quirkiness when pushing it on winding roads? Trailing throttle oversteer? Are you hesitant or can you drive w/ confidence?

#26 · (Edited)
For the degree to which I push the car, yes, I feel confident. No other changes in suspension other than non-RFT Michelin PSS. I think it takes corners beautifully and with the right tires, it grips very well. If you're driving very aggressively, I can't say. Some have complained about oversteer, but again, it depends on how hard you drive. If you think your driving style will be an issue with the Z4, get a Boxster. But you won't look half as good!
My salesman gave me the keys and said "See you later", BTW.

#27 ·
My salesman did the same. Go for a drive for as long as I want! I made sure I loved it before I bought it!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#29 ·
HerrK,

How would you think a set of decent quality all-season tires would compare to both the RFTs and the Michelin PSSs? I'm thinking Continental ExtremeContact DWS in stock sizes on 18" wheels. They're rated for lots of miles, and they were great in all conditions on my Lexus cruiser. What do you think of them on a new 35i? Surely, these are what the Performance Center in Spartanburg run on their cars, no?

#30 ·
I have no experience with the DWS's, but they are rated at the top of the list per Tire Rack. If you were happy with their performance on your Lexus then that is a big plus. I have no idea what tires they run at the BMW Performance Center.

#32 ·
PDS runs Conti Sport Contact tires, at least they did when I was there in May.

#38 · (Edited)
I'd like to chime in. Got my Z4 sDrive 23i (Singapore - RHD) recently and had similar complaints as many: very harsh ride, slow turn-in.

Here's what I did in attempt to fix those issues.

Changed the stock Brigestone Rattle-flat tyres for Michelin PS3s. I have the 23i so my tyres are 225/45/R17 all-round. Immediate improvement in almost every aspect -- no crashing over bumps and other road imperfections, lesser road noise (to the extent that I now hear my diff whine, damn that's another problem I need to deal with), sharper steering and brake response and just so much grip around corners. I used to be able to put some wheelspin out of a U-turn that I make on the way to work daily but these Michelins wouldn't let me do it now.

Got an alignment done at a reputable shop. My rear cambers were -2.2deg (or less, i.e. more negative). Not sure if the previous owner ever got the car re-aligned though. The alignment shop said that was a little too much and reduced it to -2.0deg. My rear toe-in was also adjusted (they were way off). I also had the front toe-in reduced so it toes in just a tiny bit but unfortunately I lost the printout from the shop and cannot recall what the numbers were. I think the numbers for toe were 0.7 rear and 0.4 front on each side. The shop didn't recommend 0 toe up front b/c under load the wheels would deflect outwards making the car unstable under braking. (AFAIK the E89 has +ve scrub?) The bushings around the front suspension arms are soft and can deflect quite a bit.

One thing to note, my car was aligned with the roof DOWN, i.e. roof is in the boot and maybe half a tank of gas. No sandbags/weights or any of that.

Driving out of the alignment was awesome. I think that reduction in front toe-in made the nose much more responsive into a turn. My Z also used to skip over road imperfections when making a turn and does it much lesser now. Now my Z drives like it should!

Also as per advise from alignment shop I now run slighly lower pressures in the rear (38-39psi vs stock=41-42psi) and slightly higher in the front (36-37psi vs stock=34-35psi). This made the ride much more comfortable and turning a little bit sharper.

I've heard that running lower pressures in the rear might cause premature tyre wear if the car is being driven top-down often, so do adapt for your use case. It rains a lot here so the top is down maybe only 20% of the time.

I might remove the strut pins to get a little bit more negative camber up front, but maybe not now. I'll wait until I bring the car up to the track.

Have a merry x'mas everyone!

#41 ·
At some point, a potential Z4 buyer has to stop reading opposing views on the handling with RFTs, the 19 in. wheels, the trunk space, the toe in, the MT or the DCT gear box, and a multitude of other considerations....and DRIVE IT!

These forums are awesome, but at some point you must realize that what you are reading are personal impressions of other owners (usually) of the Z4, and not what YOU might come to find out.

#42 ·
Z4

One of the problems in these forums is that everybody thinks they are an expert. Many of these so-called experts haven't experienced the subject they're trying to talk about.
Let's take the Z4. I've driven three Z4s and presently own one. Every Z4 I've driven was a great car and one of the most "fun" cars I've ever driven. The only negative thing I'm going to say is that it's really a "fun" car, not the most practical car I've ever owned. If you can afford a "fun" it's the way to go. My latest Z4 is an M Sport in bright yellow with a yellow and black interior and has a Dinan computer download, Enkei race wheels and Summer performance tires. It easily ran with a 2012 Corvette Grand Sport. As far as I know it doesn't have any special wheel alignment. So . . . If you don't have the experience then shut up. You're not an expert!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.