BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

helppp!!!!!

1K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  schpenxel 
#1 ·
guys help me this morning all the sudden my remote wouldnt work...i can unlock or lock the car or start it at all...im getting so worried right now wtf is wrong!! why is this happening?! help please.

#3 ·
Those are the details .. I woke up this morning and I pressed start button. .wouldnt work then lock then trunk non worked then I unlocked it manually when I get inside the car I pressed the lock and unlock button on the car dashboard and that wouldnt even work. Put the key in the car wouldnt work either nothing starts

#4 ·
OK. No starter click? No (or dim) interior lights, or very dim? If not, your battery has drained to dead. Get it jumped. Then see a dealer/indy to get it diagnosed.

#6 ·
Connect a pair of battery jumper cables to a working car, then to yours. Start the other car. Wait a minute. Start yours.

#9 ·
Well, it can last a really long time, James. However, some choose to use the BMW Battery Booster System (TM), that comes with a towbar, a long set of jumper cables and a 1995 Toyota with a full tank of gas. The Toyota is permanently attached to your car, and the Toyota replaces the failing BMW battery.

Note that your gas mileage will be affected. Good luck.

#11 ·
Relax, as others have said it's just a battery issue. Heck if you have Geico insurance you can just call AAA and they'll jump it for you at no cost. As you drive the car it'll get its charge back. A mechanic will be able to tell you if it was a drained battery, and old battery going bad, or something else like an alternator that would prevent the battery from charging.

#12 · (Edited)
AAA can also confirm if you need a replacement battery..

You will need to at least drive 20 miles daily to avoid these situations,.. short driving on a daily basis can shorten the battery life..

#13 ·
AAA can also confirm if you need a replacement battery..

You will need to at least drive 20 miles daily to avoid these situations,.. short driving on a daily basis can shorten the battery life..
It's not just the length of the drive it depends on engine load. The battery is charged when there is minimal load on the engine. This means cruising at highway speeds and maintaining those speeds.

#17 ·
Check the voltage across battery terminals to verify the current status of the [car] battery.
Fully charged battery should read around 12.6V. If the voltage is below 12.4, get it recharged.

Auto parts stores usually [load] test the battery for free.

As for the key...
If the car is working fine with one key and doesn't work the same way with the other key, then you can be confident that battery in the key is the problem.

#18 ·
My advice is to work on one problem at a time. As explained, it sounds as if your car battery has died. WIth the dead battery the key-fob obviously will not work as the cars systems are basically inoperable until there is sufficient charge on the car battery. During the jump starting process you will know right away if the Key-fob is OK or not. Once the car has power on the system from the "doner' car you should be able to use your key to lock/unlock the doors. If that works your key is good and start the car and get to the dealer or auto parts store for a new battery. Remember that you will need to get the battery registered to your car. What this means is that the car needs to be programmed to know that it has a new battery and that battery will have different charging characteristics than your old battery. If you don't reprogram you might experience a shorter overall battery life.

#21 ·
I'm beginning to believe that James is, as the Brits say, "having us on".

Shrug. I think I'll save my help and advice for others.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.