BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

X5 E53 Low Beam Lights Not working

22K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Wasty 
#1 · (Edited)
i have a 06 X5 4.4 and just recently both low beams stop working. before i start changing things and wasting money i thought i check here and see if i can get some help.
The high beams don't work when i push the away from me but, the blue indicator comes on the dash, the high beam comes on only when the switch is pulled towards me. just so you know the fog lights and all the amber lights work fine. can anybody please help me. thank in advance.

#2 · (Edited)
HID or halogen? And do you have any warning lightsilluminated or message on the check control display?

If you have the bi-xenon set u (which sounds like you may)...the low beam & high beam uses the same bulb...and a flap is used to allow the light to disperse higher when hi beam is selected (swith is puushed toward dash)

In the bi-xenon set-up...when you pull the switch toward you (to flash) a halogen bulb is illuminated in the location closest to the kidney grills. This is why you may be getting ight when swith is pulled toward you to flash...but nothing hapens when the switch is pushed toward the dash as well as no lowbeam.

#5 · (Edited)
So, as both lights are out, you have a problem with the bulbs and or ballast and or LKM. The first two are unlikely to occur but could happen and the latter is most likely as both circuits are out at once. Have you checked for voltage to the ballast? If voltage is present at each ballast then the LKM is OK but the ballast/xenon bulbs are suspect. If no voltage then suspect the LKM.

Check for voltage by removing the plug to the headlight assembly on each side and testing there.

1 2 3 4 5
ooooo
6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Wiring layout:

Turn Signal
Ground
Low Beam
Ground
Bi-Xenon
High Beam
Angel Eyes
Aim Self leveling
Aim Self leveling
Aim Self leveling
Aim Self leveling
Unused

Reactions: corndog64
#7 ·
It is not normal but strange things can and do happen.
If you do not know somebody with working lights then I would change out the bulbs as they are cheaper than the ballast. If they still do not work then you can change out the ballast or take it to an expert with the software to troubleshoot it. You can pick up two OEM bulbs on ebay for about what a shop would charge for 1 hours labor.

#8 ·
One of my light went out few days ago, it was on prior to switching off engine and disconnecting the battery but when I reconnected the battery and started the engine, the dash message says "check low beam lights" or so and I went out to see only the passenger side working, all other lights are fine so I disconnected the battery and reconnected and all sorts then when I put in new bulb everything is now fine. If both fails at the same time it might be fuse coz its unusual for both to go out at the same time but might be the case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.