BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Steering Wheel Creep

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  DHoang 
#1 ·
Has anyone else experienced/fixed this? Over time, the steering wheel position gradually creeps down. My theory is that the entry/exit feature that moves the wheel up and down is not really getting back to the same spot every time. It only seems to be noticable after several (5-10?) trips. I believe the upper postition for entereing/exiting the vehicle and the driving positon are both creeping downward.

Does anyone know if the motor adjust works purely from timing how long it runs to get to a certain position, or does the system actually detect the position? (And either way, can it be fixed?)

#4 ·
Happens on mine also. About every 2 weeks or so the auto-up down doesn't move the entire way. I've found by spending about 2 to 3 minutes moving the steering wheel in ALL positions, up, down, forward, back FULLY in each direction several several times it seems to "work out the kinks" and then perform well for another week or 2. Anyways, goodluck!

#5 ·
...I've found by spending about 2 to 3 minutes moving the steering wheel in ALL positions, up, down, forward, back FULLY in each direction several several times it seems to "work out the kinks" and then perform well for another week or 2. Anyways, goodluck!
Interesting... I've been just moving it all the way up to the top, but I'll try running it through the entire range also.

I'm guessing this is one of those issues that most people just deal with rather than risk breaking something else in that area while trying to fix it out.

RealOEM doesn't really show enough detail, other than the fact that the mechanisms are pricey. http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DT63&mospid=47587&btnr=32_0702&hg=32&fg=30

#6 ·
Couple years back on the other form, I believe, was a post concerning a squeak of the said steering wheel/lifting and lowering issue. As far as I remember, there was a discussion about one or 2 screws that would loosen over time, and also the lifting/lowering mechanism loosing grease/oil and the need of re-oiling/greasing.
Maybe go on the said forum and try a quick search, or just do the wrenching and take off the plastic covers (with the steering wheel fully extended) and see if it makes sense.

good luck

#8 ·
....one or 2 screws that would loosen over time, and also the lifting/lowering mechanism loosing grease/oil and the need of re-oiling/greasing.
Yeah, I was wondering about possibly giving it a lube. Is there a preferred type of grease for something like this?

#7 · (Edited)
Just after posting I had to go through the motions yet again. It actually does feel and sound as if it needs lubrication. Good info Doru as always ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.