BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Rear window trim won't fit

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  ElwoodBlues 
#1 ·
I did the front windshield trim replacement a while back with very little fuss. However, now that I am finally tackling the rear, it seems that the issue is not so much the trim being old causing it to pop out, but the excess glue underneath. I've attempted to install the new trim two or three times, and I've come to the conclusion that the glue along the top edge of the rear window is preventing the trim from installing properly. The sides went in with no issues, and the glue there seems to be a bit further back from the edge of the glass.

I think the original trim (at least along the top edge) must have somehow been sandwiched between the edge of the glue bead and the glass, but I don't see any way to get the new piece forced in to the same position.

Anyone else experienced this? My current plan is to attempt to find or make a Dremel bit to help trim the glue, but I'm open to other ideas.

#4 ·
Yep. Suprisingly, it came out all in one piece...nothing like the front. I think this is definitely glue holding the glass in place that is slightly overdone and in the way.

Also, this kind of job is much easier around mid July when the temp is 100F.
Rubber/Glue and all that stuff is hard to remove in the winter.
True. Tried this in a partially heated garage the first time around. The trim and glue seemed reasonably pliable, but every little bit helps. Will try to get this worked out while it's warm and sunny for a while today.

#5 ·
Finally got this fixed. FYI, the Dremel is not the way to go. Ended up using a curved pick and needlenose pliers to scrape and pluck all the excess out.

I went back and examined the old trim again, and it appears to have all come out in one piece. Is it possible that at the factory, these are installed on the glass before the glass is set on the car? Either that, or the trim is put on before the "glass glue" sets up. That's the only thing that makes sense.

Anyhow, I feel sorry for anyone who runs into the same thing. I scratched up the paint under the edge of the glass quite a bit in the process.

#6 ·
Here's a diagram to help future DIYers...don't bust me on the accuracy, as I drew it all from memory. My problem was that the old trim would come out over the excess glue easily, but the new trim would not clear it. Spent a long time picking, chipping, cutting, ripping, and pulling out little bits of the excess rubber/glue material. If you run into this, get lots of light above the car so you can see down in the gap.

The way it works out with the angles, if you can see glue, you may have a problem, depending on the glue's thickness (height from surface of metal). I suspect this is why part of my old trim would never stay in. It was in fair shape, but once it popped out, it would never go all the way back in. The excess glue kept pushing it back out.

(Also, sorry for calling it glue if there is a more proper term. :) )

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.