BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

M5 Quad Exhaust Valve Fix

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  WJonck 
#1 ·
For those in looking to keep all four exhaust pipes open all the time, below is a link to a solution. I've searched high and low for a way to keep all four pipes open on my M6GC, as this exhaust (shared by the M5, M6, X5M, X6M) is different than in other M cars and BMW's. The exhaust butterfly valve on the two extra pipes defaults to staying closed and under tension, and only opens under high load and pressure. Typical fixes that include pinching or unplugging vacuum hoses and fuses will not work, it will just render the two outer exhaust pipes permanently closed, and in this DIY you can hold the valve open even though it's under constant tension. It has made a pretty noticeable difference in noise :thumbup:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...st-valve-fix-f06-f12-f13-f10.html#post5647153

#7 ·
I don't know about easier, as the trunk coverings aren't the easiest to remove on this model to get to the lines, but I also want it open all the time and not have to reopen it every time the car is started

#8 ·
I have had this done on both of my M5s. It makes the car louder significantly in idle and low rpms. Almost as loud as aftermarket exhausts. CP cars are louder as they are from factory, doing this mod makes them even louder. It makes it tough to go aftermarket exhaust route after having this exhaust.

#9 · (Edited)
You can also use clothes pins. Just open the butterfly valves, and attach the clothes pins on the edges and it will keep them open.

#10 ·
This is a great mod. I went with the Exhaustmeister set up since I wanted the ability to open and close the valves. Also a good option if you have to leave your garage more quietly in the middle of the night. Coupled with the CP exhaust, I'm happy and will unlikely get an aftermarket. At least for now.

#12 ·
I do not have the pictures any more, but i can honetsly say that by just looking at the valve, you will be able to clearly see what needs to be done. In my case, i used the back end of a rubber hammer to keep the valve open from inside the exhaust, en then used cable ties to keep the valve open. Wires was to difficult to twist etc in the limited space, where ass cable ties are very easy to attach. In have doen about 1500miles as such with no problems

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.