BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

outside temperature guage - all wrong

2K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  ldpantoja 
#1 ·
mine is so inaccurate - how are yours?

mine has never had a reading over 75 degrees here in SoCal, when all my other cars are saying 85 and more

#4 · (Edited)
jason_jm said:
mine is so inaccurate - how are yours?

mine has never had a reading over 75 degrees here in SoCal, when all my other cars are saying 85 and more
Mine is fine most of the time.

You cannot trust the initial readings when getting into a vehicle that has been sitting in the sun.

After a climatization period of 10-15 minutes the readings are usually pretty accurate.

However - I have been getting well over 85 the last week or so in Canada. So if you have not been above 75 in quakeville - then there may be a problem with the sensor........

#14 ·
#16 ·
well, today i was driving along, 2pm in Los Angeles, sooo hot, was on the road for about 60 mins from 2pm to 3pm

so either my temp guage was telling me it was 71 degrees, or that there is a 71% smog density layer?

I think the 71% smog layer was more accurate.....

#18 ·
jason_jm said:
well, today i was driving along, 2pm in Los Angeles, sooo hot, was on the road for about 60 mins from 2pm to 3pm

so either my temp guage was telling me it was 71 degrees, or that there is a 71% smog density layer?

I think the 71% smog layer was more accurate.....
Umm... You're joking, right? :)

The car is definitely trying to measure the temperature. Did you check the temp from other sources at the same time?

Mine is very accurate after a few minutes of driving.

#21 ·
JG said:
Mine is fine most of the time.

You cannot trust the initial readings when getting into a vehicle that has been sitting in the sun.

After a climatization period of 10-15 minutes the readings are usually pretty accurate.

However - I have been getting well over 85 the last week or so in Canada. So if you have not been above 75 in quakeville - then there may be a problem with the sensor........
Then again, maybe he is at the beach where that cool marine layer is working his ride over! :rofl:

Seriously, JG is right on. Mine works fine, but when I take it out of my garage into a rather different air climate outside, it takes a little bit to "adjust."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.