BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

iPhone 5 Compatibility w/ iDrive

31K views 71 replies 19 participants last post by  jimmelo 
#1 ·
I have been looking in several different places for an answer. Hoping someone on here can help. Debating going from my 4S to the 5. I have a 2009 build with the new iDrive set up, with the ipod hook-up. Has anyone heard if the 'lighting adapter' that apple will be offering for the new charger connection will allow for the iDrive still to display playlists?

I heard somewhere that it wouldn't allow for iPod out now. Some folks say it will still work and other disagree. Looking for a straight answer.

#2 ·
Probably wont know for sure until the phone is released on friday.

#4 ·
BMW alread said that ipod out will no longer work since there is no longer an analog signal through the lightning cable. Why would you go to a 5 from a 4s anyways. Just update the os on the 4 and it's almost the same thing.

#7 ·
A poster in the X5 forum said their new iphone 5 worked with the iDrive. And, updating the OS on the iPhone 4 to the latest (iOS 6) does not achieve the same benefits that you get by upgrading to the iPhone 5, the most important of which are:

1.) True 4G/LTE network capability
2.) taller screen/more space
3.) better camera and associated features

You can go to apple.com to see if the rest of the features are an improvement over the iPhone 4.

#6 ·
For what it's worth, I have a 2011 (manufactured 7/11) E90. It does NOT have iDrive, just the standard Bluetooth assist with iPhone integration with steering controls, phone, etc. I did a test this AM using the new iPhone cable with a iPhone 5 and ALL features appear to work, including dialing, phone directory, Bluetooth sync, voice dialing, iphone playlists, genre, next selection, etc. By word of caution, I have another 2011 that's a year older and requires the BMW iPhone "Y" cable (does not work with Apple's cable) to work with a 4S. I haven't tested this yet since it requires the new adapter that does not come until October, and the car's not up here :).

#8 ·
I tried using the lightning to USB cable that comes with the iPhone 5 and got nothing. I have a 2010 model that requires the BMW Y cable to work. Usually, when I connect my iPhone, the AUX audio option becomes iPod. Today it didn't. I suspect that it's not going to work because there's no analog out of the lightning connection, which, if I'm not mistaken, is how audio gets piped into the BMW's sound system, even if it's through the dock connection. I'm completely bummed about this and I don't see how it could possibly be resolved by software updates to either the iPhone or BMW. The hardware that was talking to each other is just no longer there. :\

#9 · (Edited)
I tried using the lightning to USB cable that comes with the iPhone 5 and got nothing. I have a 2010 model that requires the BMW Y cable to work. Usually, when I connect my iPhone, the AUX audio option becomes iPod. Today it didn't. I suspect that it's not going to work because there's no analog out of the lightning connection, which, if I'm not mistaken, is how audio gets piped into the BMW's sound system, even if it's through the dock connection. I'm completely bummed about this and I don't see how it could possibly be resolved by software updates to either the iPhone or BMW. The hardware that was talking to each other is just no longer there. :\
Yupper. You basically appear to have 2 options - 1.) Go back to an iPhone 4/4S (the iP4/4S with iOS v. 6 should work, but no guarantees until you actually see it work), or 2.) Upgrade your car to be compatible with the new Lightning (or whatever Apple calls it) adapter. If you pursue option 2, be certain that everything that is claimed to work, actually does work (as in see it work with your own 2 eyes) before you bite the bullet to do the upgrade.

#10 ·
The updated USB audio interface should work shouldn't it? The other option is to buy a cheap iPod for music. I got a 2nd hand 3rd generation iPod touch last week from cash generator online. It's a bit scratched but basically lives connected in my arm rest compartment. My phone connects via Bluetooth so I don't need to be plugging and unplugging every time I get in the car.

#15 ·
Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) support has been added to iOS6. Has anyone been successful integrating their iPhone with BMW Office and having email and SMS messages display on the iDrive screen? Previously that functionality was restricted to BlackBerry devices, but in theory it should be possible now that Apple has added MAP functionality.

#16 ·
Bluetooth MAP (Message Access Profile) support has been added to iOS6. Has anyone been successful integrating their iPhone with BMW Office and having email and SMS messages display on the iDrive screen? Previously that functionality was restricted to BlackBerry devices, but in theory it should be possible now that Apple has added MAP functionality.
I have seen it work with the BB Bold9930. However, any phone with MAP support should work, which would include the Droid RAZR series and Sammy GS III. Whether they actually work depends on how the manufacturer (Moto/Sammy in this example) has implemented MAP.

There is another thread on BF about iOS v. 6 & iDrive, that seems to indicate problems with MAP on iOS v. 6, so maybe MAP on iOS v. is a work-in-progress? :dunno:

#19 ·
One additional data point: Bluetooth MAP function appears to be selectively implemented by phone manufacturers that claim to implement it.

I tested the function of a VZW edition Samsung Galaxy S III (that VZW claims supports MAP on their website). After pairing was finished and MAP connection was implemented between the GS III and the car (phone asked if I wanted to activate MAP, I clicked the yes box), only SMS messages would display. Contacts on the GS III were transferred to the car with no problem. But no e-mail. I didn't spend too much time trying to mess around because I didn't want to risk breaking the integration with the BB Bold 9930.

Curiosity has set in and I am seeing who I can borrow an iPhone 5 from to see if it works with the car.

As I posted earlier, if MAP function is important, make sure it works for the exact environment you are wanting it to work with.

#24 ·
Thank you for your clarification. I was under the impression from some of the earlier posts that there were some circumstances where e-mail transfer from iPhone to iDrive was in fact occurring.

#25 ·
Sorry. That does seem to be the case but it seems intermittent. From what I can gather, email does work on occasions with the following conditions.

1) Email must be set to preview in lock screen
2) Some have said that emails must be set to show in notification centre.
3) Some have reported that the phone must go into lock of its own accord. i.e. pressing the lock button does not work
4) An email must be received in the car whilst the phone is locked. It does not transfer old emails (read or unread) and it will not transfer emails received when the phone is unlocked.
5) Even with all these conditions met, it has been reported that it only works the first time it is set up. It stops working after you have been away from the car.

Personally, I haven't tried it, but I'll be glad if people can get it to work. I like being able to see SMS messages and I'm sure I would also find emails useful.

#26 ·
Sorry. That does seem to be the case but it seems intermittent. From what I can gather, email does work on occasions with the following conditions.

1) Email must be set to preview in lock screen
2) Some have said that emails must be set to show in notification centre.
3) Some have reported that the phone must go into lock of its own accord. i.e. pressing the lock button does not work
4) An email must be received in the car whilst the phone is locked. It does not transfer old emails (read or unread) and it will not transfer emails received when the phone is unlocked.
5) Even with all these conditions met, it has been reported that it only works the first time it is set up. It stops working after you have been away from the car.

Personally, I haven't tried it, but I'll be glad if people can get it to work. I like being able to see SMS messages and I'm sure I would also find emails useful.
SMS + e-mail integration seems to be the one area where RIM/BB appear to have an advantage over iOS and Android (and possibly WP). Being able to read the e-mail on the much larger iDrive display is superior to reading the same e-mail on the dinky BB display.

My curiosity has been tweaked. I am going to check into whether e-mail integration is supported on the Droid RAZR running ICS (Motorola advertises MAP support on the RAZR). So far, on VZW, it is 0 for 2 on e-mail integration with iDrive (the Bold 9930 that I have seen work is a Sprint edition).

#29 ·
More on the iPhone 5

Do note the date of that Apple knowledgebase article...

That long predates iOS6, so I wouldn't let it be discouraging. I pretty much would just count it as an out of date KB article.
We just picked up our '13 328iCV......the iPhone 9 Pin worked OK with powering/charging the phone, but we will have to wait until the 9 pin to 30 pin digital to analog cable becomes available....I have 2 cables ordered (one for each Bimmer) and will report first hand the compatibility. However in conversations with Apple Tech support they said only the Video playback would NOT be supported, but all other functions/features would be.

#30 ·
I have an iPhone 4, everything works perfectly, emails, calendar, iPod, etc. I also have an iPhone 4 dock, not connect it with wires! I will get an iPhone 5 went he dock for it becomes available, mid next year from what BMW says. Why would you use wires when a docking station is available with your idrive?

#32 ·
I have an iPhone 4, everything works perfectly, emails, calendar, iPod, etc. I also have an iPhone 4 dock, not connect it with wires! I will get an iPhone 5 went he dock for it becomes available, mid next year from what BMW says. Why would you use wires when a docking station is available with your idrive?
Stop the misinformation, please: emails do not fully display yet in iOS6 and the iDrive :rolleyes:

#31 ·
I'm guessing you have the BMW apps option? Not every car does this and people were hoping that calendar and email functionality would work via bluetooth instead as it does with Blackberrys. Personally I'm not keen on using the docking station because I probably wouldn't bother to plug and unplug my phone every time I got in the car. I have an ipod touch permanently connected for music and I just keep my phone in my pocket. Lazy I know....

#38 ·
I'm guessing you have the BMW apps option? Not every car does this and people were hoping that calendar and email functionality would work via bluetooth instead as it does with Blackberrys. Personally I'm not keen on using the docking station because I probably wouldn't bother to plug and unplug my phone every time I got in the car. I have an ipod touch permanently connected for music and I just keep my phone in my pocket. Lazy I know....
At present, I have been able to test and demonstrate that the limited support for MAP in iOS v. 6.0 on an iP5 occurs when the iP5 is communicating with the car via Bluetooth. Same for Android v. 4.0.4 on a GS III. The iP5 and GS III are VZW editions. There may be differences in Bluetooth stack in the GS IIIs, since VZW was guilty of implementing a slimmed down Bluetooth stack back when the Palm Treo smartphones were the rage. I was hoping to get access to a Sprint edition GS III to see if there was full support for MAP (e-mail + text display), but so far, no joy.

#43 · (Edited)
Yeah but you're connected using a docking station and with an option on your car called bmw apps. It has always worked in these circumstances. People are discussing email and SMS via Bluetooth (i.e. when the phone is not plugged in) although it could be argued that this is slightly off topic when compared with the original posts in the thread.

#42 ·
I know that this is slightly off-topic to the thread title, but it's relevant to the discussion going on in here.

It seems that some non-iDrive systems work with the included USB/Lightning cable. Those are the ones that were manufactured later. Earlier editions, like mine, need the BMW Y-cable even for the earlier iPhones. Without the Y-cable, there's no hope of getting steering wheel controls, etc., back. The jury's still out on whether the Apple adapter solutions will work.

If they don't, is it possible to retrofit the newer non Y-cable-needing systems (is this the "combox"?) to older cars like mine? I have no desire to retrofit an entire new iDrive system, just the connection in the center console. Anyone know?

#44 ·
I know that this is slightly off-topic to the thread title, but it's relevant to the discussion going on in here.

It seems that some non-iDrive systems work with the included USB/Lightning cable. Those are the ones that were manufactured later. Earlier editions, like mine, need the BMW Y-cable even for the earlier iPhones. Without the Y-cable, there's no hope of getting steering wheel controls, etc., back. The jury's still out on whether the Apple adapter solutions will work.

If they don't, is it possible to retrofit the newer non Y-cable-needing systems (is this the "combox"?) to older cars like mine? I have no desire to retrofit an entire new iDrive system, just the connection in the center console. Anyone know?
I think quite a lot of people have done combox retrofits.

#47 · (Edited)
Not a lot of good for people who have already bought their car though is it? For the purposes of clarity, the snap in adapter isn't going to get it working (even if there was actually one available for the iPhone 5). BMW apps also needs to be enabled. If your car doesn't have it, a retrofit at the dealer is required.

#51 ·
It depends what you want really. If I had to plug my phone in every time I got in the car, I can can guarantee that it would be disconnected 90% of the time. I always have my phone in my pocket. I bought a 64gb iPod touch which I keep permanently in my arm rest compartment and my entire music connection is on that so my music is always available from the moment I get in the car. I can still make and receive calls with my phone in my pocket. A dock therefore really wouldn't do anything for me...It would actually be an inconvenience.
And as far as I am aware, there is no dock available for the iPhone 5 anyway!

#55 ·
I have been through this entire thread (and others) with what I thought would be the single most basic question. How to pair an iPhone 5 with a E9x (in my case a '07.5 E92 w. IDrive). I'm kind of a believer in keeping my eyes on the road, so all I want to do is make & receive calls. The OM says "See separate manual." But I never got one - maybe it was the Euro delivery.
Has anyone paired the new Phone, or do you have the extra book?
Thanx,

#57 · (Edited)
New iPhone (iP5) pairs with iDrive on my MY2010 (9/15/2009 production date) 335d with iDrive and with a 2012 335is E93 (12/15/2011 production date). Calls can be made and received.

Edit: I just noticed you have a pre-LCI edition of iDrive. My ex-E93 (2/2008 production) would pair with Bluetooth-enabled phones (BlackBerry 8330). I didn't try pairing with an iPhone, but no reason for it not to pair.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.