BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Premium Sound- Opinions/Settings

7K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  Sonicendeavor 
#1 ·
I haven't seen any of these threads about the premium sound for a while so I figured I'd give it a go.

First, I have to say I expected to be (based on other bmw stereo systems), and am disappointed in the premium sound. I went from a '09 Z4 with standard sound. It was such a weak stereo system that it was pretty pointless to even have the radio on with the top down at highway speeds. Then I drove a hummer H3 with the base stereo for a year and I would take that stereo over the $900 premium upgrade in the f10 any day. I just don't understand how they miss the mark here.

It's not "bad", but it just isn't "special" in any way.

Next, I'd love to see how others tune their premium systems. So far I just can't get over the harshness that comes through with voices. So I hate to admit it, but for now the best setup I have tuned is with both the treble and bass at the max setting (surround off). This seems to work best at all volumes to drown out the tinggy harshness I hear from the vocals of most songs.

I searched and found some settings from a few years ago, but something must be different because those settings were not pleasing at all.

Thanks for any thoughts and suggestions.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
You my friend are spot on

sorry wrong forum but I think the sound suxs and no amount of adjusting will fix it.

#5 ·
This is what a pro audio guy posted on another forum it changes the system 100% try it.

Did wonders for me.

Fader +2 towards rear
Treble +4
Bass 0
Surround off!!!
100Hz -2
200Hz -1
500Hz 0
1KHz +2
2KHz -3
5KHz +4
10KHz +6
Was this done on a F10 originally?

I was very dissapointed in the SQ of this BMW audio system, until I sat in the back one day. It is truly designed for all 4 passengers. In fact, I think the system sounds better when sitting in the rear vs the front.

#6 ·
Not sure what people expect out of a stock (premium or not) audio system. If you're that hard up for audio, then just go aftermarket since NO manufacturer can beat that.

For me it sounds great and although kinda ghetto, I love heavy bass lol. I'm no expert in car audio by any means, but even for the average novice, just play around with the EQ until you hear what sounds best for YOU and YOUR type of music.

#7 ·
I'm quite happy with the premium audio in my '13 550i...definitely a step up from the premium audio in my '11 M3. Hope you're not drawing your conclusions from listening to Sirius :p

Also, I made the equalizer changes posted earlier in this thread and like them.

#14 ·
Since sound is very selective, I have a variation on the list from 'supercomputers'. I leave the front / back fader control at neutral and I would definitely agree and turn off 'surround'.
My former E60 sounded much better with 'surround' on.
Go figure.
GL

#15 · (Edited)
I'd like to know what your equalizer settings are.

I have a 2014 5 Series with the H-K upgraded sound system.

I found suggested general settings on the web:

For rock and lots of bass emphasize the base settings slightly, with a bit less on mids and highs. All in the + range.

For pop and more vocal types of music keep base near neutral and mids and highs a bit higher. All in the + range.

Also what are all your Tone Settings? Balance, Fader, Treble, Bass, Surround On/Off?

Thanks in advance!

#17 ·
X, yes I do start with BFTB first. I can't imagine turning surround off- strange advice to me.

My Settings:

Fader: 1-4 clicks with emphasis in the rear.

Balance: 1-2 clicks to Driver's side; I'm usually the only one in the car.

Treble: Still experimenting; 0-4+

Bass: Still experimenting; 0-4+

Equalizer: Still experimenting

I have a 2014 5 Series. Sound system is a bit different from 2013 and previous models.

What do you drive?

#19 · (Edited)
I tried those settings towards the top of this thread just for kicks but as suspected the sound is terrible. Highs are way over emphasized and that notch at 2k sucks the life out of most tracks. Any time you apply that much EQ to a decent music source it's going to sound bad.
Subtle EQ can help a little, but the system really needs a better amp, and speakers that produce a less colored sound.
If you're going to use the equalizer, leave the bass and treble at 0 so they're not conflicting with the equalizer.
We all have different preferences, and my background as a musician may bring a more purist approach :) but I would suggest a less is more approach
Everything flat except:
200 hz -1 Slight reduction in some low end muddiness.
2k -1 as mentioned above, slightly reduces the shrillness
5k +1 adds a touch of presence
10k +2 adds a bit of crispness & sizzle to cymbals
Agree with two clicks to the rear for the fader
And yes, keep the logic 7 surround turned off! ( I'm not a fan of digital effects)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.