BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My new X1 2014 x28 - Few questions

3K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  Ex-One 
#1 ·
First of all, I'm very proud to now own a Bimmer :) I just got my 2014 X1 x128 last week and have a couple of questions after driving it around for a week.

1. Air Conditioning
I had guests sit at the back complaining that its still hot while I shot the air-conditioning to 60 deg and MAX AC (for 20+ minutes) and still didn't really cool the back of the car :( I know there are vents for the foot (below the front seats) but this has no overall effect to the upper back area (I tried adjusting the AC vents to various angles) but no improvement. Suggestions?

2. Throttle Hesitation
I've read a lot and I have the same bad feel with the delayed acceleration… I know of the after market tweaks that will cost more… This post has a lot of conversation too.. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667244 Whats the outcome? Can this be fixed or do I have to live with it?

3. RPM
Its just been a week and with excitement I drive uphill at 70mph that shot the RPM to 6x (6000+) and after I while when I parked, I got this burning smell from outside… I wanted to know if I pushed the limits (considering that its new with only 500mi run) and is it ok? Usually whats the max (what RPM shouldn't I exceed?)

4. Comfort Access (trunk)
The European X1 has the foot sensor to unlock the trunk and the US X1 doesn't have it… Is this true? if so why?

5. Hard Steering
From what I found out, the AWD x128 come with oil pump power steering and the RWD x128 comes with EPS, is this true? I (many of us) feel the steering is tight and I know BMW made it that way… I'm not complaining that its bad cos its a good feel but I want to know if I can go into a BMW service center to loosen it a little bit (not as smooth as the japanese cars)... since its all power steering, I'm assuming the sensitivity can be tweaked?

6. Music
Why am I not getting album art out of the internal HDD music? I get it only from USB drives or my connected iPhone 5 (same music copied into HDD)

7. Moonroof
Is it ok to keep the moonroof open when I drive 75mph? I'm asking cos this thin meshed wall slides up for about 3 inches in the front so I'm afraid if something would happen to that in that air speed?

Again, some of these are just concerns but overall X1 = Amazing!!! Any answers/suggestions are appreciated, since I'm a BMW newbie :angel:

See less See more
#2 ·
First of all, I'm very proud to now own a Bimmer :) I just got my 2014 X1 x128 last week and have a couple of questions after driving it around for a week.

1. Air Conditioning
I had guests sit at the back complaining that its still hot while I shot the air-conditioning to 60 deg and MAX AC (for 20+ minutes) and still didn't really cool the back of the car :( I know there are vents for the foot (below the front seats) but this has no overall effect to the upper back area (I tried adjusting the AC vents to various angles) but no improvement. Suggestions?

2. Throttle Hesitation
I've read a lot and I have the same bad feel with the delayed acceleration***8230; I know of the after market tweaks that will cost more***8230; This post has a lot of conversation too.. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=667244 Whats the outcome? Can this be fixed or do I have to live with it?

3. RPM
Its just been a week and with excitement I drive uphill at 70mph that shot the RPM to 6x (6000+) and after I while when I parked, I got this burning smell from outside***8230; I wanted to know if I pushed the limits (considering that its new with only 500mi run) and is it ok? Usually whats the max (what RPM shouldn't I exceed?)

4. Comfort Access (trunk)
The European X1 has the foot sensor to unlock the trunk and the US X1 doesn't have it***8230; Is this true? if so why?

5. Hard Steering
From what I found out, the AWD x128 come with oil pump power steering and the RWD x128 comes with EPS, is this true? I (many of us) feel the steering is tight and I know BMW made it that way***8230; I'm not complaining that its bad cos its a good feel but I want to know if I can go into a BMW service center to loosen it a little bit (not as smooth as the japanese cars)... since its all power steering, I'm assuming the sensitivity can be tweaked?

6. Music
Why am I not getting album art out of the internal HDD music? I get it only from USB drives or my connected iPhone 5 (same music copied into HDD)

7. Moonroof
Is it ok to keep the moonroof open when I drive 75mph? I'm asking cos this thin meshed wall slides up for about 3 inches in the front so I'm afraid if something would happen to that in that air speed?

Again, some of these are just concerns but overall X1 = Amazing!!! Any answers/suggestions are appreciated, since I'm a BMW newbie :angel:
1. Add tint and close the sun roof if open. Also double check all air vents are open and that you are not in Eco Pro mode.

2. Put it in Drive Sport or use paddle shifters if you have them. You can also use the shifter pressing over to the left while in drive to move into DS. Now you can also push up to downshift. . or pull down to up shift. Also make sure your not in Eco Pro mode.

3. You shouldn't need to go 6000 rpms to go 70 mph uphill unless you wanted to get to 70 quickly. The burning smell isn't exactly great but it's normal for new cars. Typically its burning paint and coatings around the engine. My guess is you had cruise on (a no-no during break in) and it tried to maintain 70 up the hill so it kicked down hard.

4. No.

5. No - servotronic is an option when ordering the car to loosen the steering at lower speeds.

6. Not sure - could be a million reasons. I've had so many issues with the HDD even recognizing my USB stick so I have up on that and use Bluetooth.

7. It's fine. The mesh wall is a wind deflector to push wind over the roof of the car. Next time your going 70+ mph use one hand and push down on the mesh wall (it folds down) and get ready to have your ears pop.

Stick around the forums and you will learn lots! I'm new to the brand as well with my X1. Learning from the forums and experimenting.

The owners manual is actually pretty descriptive for a lot of the tech in the car and is a great reference as well.

Happy driving!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#3 ·
@Ex-One - Thanks for all the answers.

2. Did you mean starting the car in DS fixes the throttle lag?

3. Yea, wanted to hit 70mph fast, so intentionally hit the accelerator :p

5. Can servotronic be added now? If no, I found that I can adjust the belt tension for the power steering pump to loosen it, is this possible?

Thx :)

#4 ·
You can start the car normally. You just move the shifter over to the left. The middle instrument cluster should now say DS instead of D.

I don't know if servo can be added after the fact. My guess is dealerships will tell you no or charge way too much for it.

Do you have a M Sport, Sport or X-Line?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.