BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bring my X5 in for service

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  X5SMW4.8 
#1 ·
I have been having a lot of electrical issues with my vehicle these past few weeks, ever since I got back not driving the car for a month, a finally decided I am going to take it to the dealer. Currently when I turn off the engine the radio plays for about 30 secs to a minute, it varies every time before it just shuts off on its own. Also, the 6-disc CD changer has trouble reading the disk, and sometimes freezes and just leaves the screen frozen with nothing showing, but a hazel background, and I have to turn off everything to have it work again. Also when I plug my AUX into my iPhone, it makes a high pitch whistling noise out of all the speakers, but doesn't happen with my iPhone in other vehicles. Lastly the sub under the passenger speaker is loose and makes a clanking sound when I play a bass heavy song. On top of that all I am getting a high battery discharge warning that goes away intermittently, as well as anti-trap sunroof, and constantly having to reset the time because it somehow is getting erased, which also results in the music being reset to the FM radio, volume to mute, and screen to communication folder.

:mad:

What should I ask the dealer to do about this all, its under warranty still, but I feel like they are just going say "we checked it out, charged you battery, reset the sunroof, and its all good." I think a bigger problems is existing here, I don't know if its that I need a new battery or my electrical and iDrive system is messed up, but I would like to have this situation remedied soon because the warranty expires in 3 months.

On another note the new X5 M50D looks amazing!

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
were it me, and if you plan on keeping the truck for a few more years, i would pony up for a new battery and the battery initialization expense.

this way you have ruled out the battery as the cause. most car batteries don't last much past 5 years anyway right? and you will still be within the warranty if the issue prevails.

find an indie that can synch the battery to the truck. might be cheaper.

i got a low battery / voltage whatever it is warning about 6 weeks ago but haven't seen it since. my truck is a 12/07 production 4.8, so i expect to be replacing the battery soon. mine is driven almost daily BTW.

my sunroof went buggy in 2009. this is what the ticket says. " FZD Software Issue Refer To SIB 61-08-05. Multiple Faults Stored in FZD." this was at about 29K miles.

4K miles later the issue popped back up along with the SOS light. (DC traffic on I95) they replaced the TCU under Bulletin #841707. per the ticket ........ "TCU was the cause of keeping vehicle awake, needs new TCU"

50K miles later i haven't had any issues. i think you have a valid issue.

#3 ·
Thank you for your reply, I take it the battery is not covered under warranty, also how much do you think an indie shop charges for the battery and stuff?

#4 · (Edited)
battery might be covered under warranty but if i had to guess i would expect it would need to fail completely first.

somewhere on here i thought i saw someone say the battery ID process was $120, i'd figure the battery is at least $100. :dunno:

found this. Interstate Mega-Tron Plus - 85 Months - 720 CCA $175

#5 ·
update

Brought it to BMW today, they did a battery diagnostics and determined the battery needed to be replaced under warranty. They said they BMW 6 disc CD changer has always not been good with burnt disc, and the AUX they couldn't replicate with their device. Have to wait till Thursday for pick up because I have some paint that looks like its going bad and they need to have a regional personal look at it to determine if its under warranty.

Thank you soldmystang for the help :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.