BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

My locks, windows, wiper don't work. 525i wagon

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  gregpignetti 
#1 ·
I have been searching on this forum for the past week or so trying to fix this problem I have. My windows don't go down, locks don't work, and wipers only work on high. I have read that you replace fuses/general module/fusible link. I have done all of that and still nothing. All the threads on here people had success, but not me. What else can it be?
The car is a 1995 525i wagon. Thanks

#2 ·
I had similar problems with my 1993 525it. Check the wires in the tailgate by the hinge on both sides. The wires used are stranded and break from opening and closing the tailgate. There's an article on line on how to repair, just google. It recomended replacing the broken area with cat 5 data cable. It's single strand. I made a larger loop and pushed the loop into the body which eliminated the bending of the cable. Good luck and expect to spend a day or more on this repair.

#3 ·
Are you kidding me, use solid wire? That is exactly the opposite of what you should do! Solid conductor CAT3/5/6 is used in the walls where they will never be bent again after installation. In these applications they can get away with using cheaper solid conductor wire. Patch cables use more expensive stranded wire because they need to hold up to multiple bends over it's life. It's used in patch cable not only because stranded wire is more flexible. The more bending/flexing the finer the strands should be. I wish BMW had used finer stranded wire in for the doors and trunk.

Using a larger loop of wire at the bend is a good idea as long as the bending is distrubuted evenly over the extra length. Sharp bends will break it for sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.