BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

TV commercial bashing other cars, especially BMW

2K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  minn19 
#1 ·
When I see a commercial for BMW, it always is in good taste. BMW tells you how good their automobiles are and in no way compares them to the competition. Mercedes Benz seems to take a similar approach to their advertising.

On the other hand, some commercials for Audi have managed to take shots at several of its competitors. BMW has been a common target. Their most recent one insists that more people are leaving BMW, Mercedes Benz, and Lexus for Audi than ever before. What they fail to state is that since BMW, Mercedes, and Lexus far outsell Audi, more people are also leaving it for its competition. I believe the most effective and honest way to advertise is to promote your product without ridiculing its rivals. Audi obviously doesn***8217;t think that way.

But the one I most detest is this one shown during the Christmas season of 2010 from Infiniti. It shows a BMW owner and his kids throwing snowballs at an Infiniti owner next door. In "defense", the Infiniti guy makes a snowball that gains speed and becomes huge, eventually completely swallowing up his neighbor's BMW which occupies a parking space he wants. The snowball with the BMW inside is shown blowing the parked BMW away, undoubtedly destroying it. The commercial ends with the Infiniti taking its parking place and its driver smiling. Not only is it unfunny, but it***8217;s violent and only proves that Infiniti advertising at one time went to extremes to sell its cars. Apparently, Infiniti seemed to believe that "'Tis the season to be disgusting". :(

See less See more
#2 ·
You're right. As a person in business, I know that bashing the competition in the presence of customers is never a good thing. Always focus on positives that you can offer....The Audi example you mentioned is ridiculous. Are they expecting the consumer to think that Audi keeps 100% of their clientele in addition to securing customers from the other luxury brands?

#3 ·
I think you guys are overreacting. That commercial is pretty funny and it is not uncommon at all to see ads like this in markets where there is a clear favorite. In many respects, it is a compliment to BMW and its clients. We own the car that others aspire to take the place of...
Look at computer commercials-- they arent even coy about it. They just slam other brands by name without any attempt at humor.

#14 ·
The fact that you are talking about this, and bringing it to other people's attention is EXACTLY what the marketers wanted. If you don't like it don't buy an Infiniti. I don like Infinity (If i said hate i'd get slapped by a moderator from Dunder Mifflin) but i laughed when I saw that commercial. Mainly at how stupid it was.

I do think violence is way too common on TV, but this, is not the best example.

#5 ·
Sekitori - good thing you weren't around for the toilet paper advertising wars of the 1960's, you'd have been traumatized for life ;)

:D

#6 ·
But none of them managed to wipe out the competition.

#11 ·
I always got a kick out of a Chevy Malibu commercial that hasn't been on tv for a while. If I remember right, it showed a guy standing by either a Lexus or BMW and as the Malibu drove by the luxury car owner looks longingly at "what he could've had." It didn't work on me, I don't get that feeling when I see a Malibu ;).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.