BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Auto start/stop stalling issues.

48K views 60 replies 37 participants last post by  xcskier 
#1 ·
Has anyone else had the auto start/stop stall on you and just disable? I just picked up the new car this past Saturday and it happened yesterday morning at a stop light on the way to work. In the afternoon I was able to recreate the situation at a stop sign. I have the automatic. Basically I barely lift my foot off the brake and just as the engine is coming back on I step on the brake again. The car dies and the auto start/stop disable message comes on. In order to proceed I have to start the car again and put it in drive as it automatically puts it in neutral when it stalls. This is potentially dangerous in traffic situations not to mention embarrassing to be stalled on the streets in a brand new car. I read a blurb on Motor Trend that they had the same issue when testing out the 335i for the first time. I disabled the auto start/stop for now and took it to the dealer to look at.

Anyone have any insights or similar issues?

#4 ·
If you're going to be in stop-and-go traffic I would advise turning the system off. There's supposed to be safeguards that preventing excessive stop-start cycles in Stop & Go traffic (for example the vehicle must reach a speed of 9km/h with the 8AT) but based on what you're describing, you could be confusing the system by briefly releasing then re-depressing the brake pedal, possibly executing a "Start" and then "stop" command in rapid succession that confuses the system; in such cases the system shuts and keeps the engine off as a result.

#6 · (Edited)
uhhhh....if you always turn the system off in stop and go traffic, and only leave it on during freeway cruising with no traffic....then you are basically not using it at all...

Isn't that the whole point of the system, to be used in stop and go traffic to avoid idling the engine while you are stopped? :dunno:

So your recommendation is to disable the start/stop in stop and go traffic....bizarre, I thought that is EXACTLY what the system was designed to do, save fuel by shutting engine off when stopped.

#10 ·
I've had the same issue. I bought my car about a month ago and it's happened 5 times so far. I've also noticed it mostly when I've only driven the car for a few moments. Air temperature doesn't seem to be an issue because I am in a fairly mild climate. I have an appointment with the dealer on Monday. My loaner will be a Camry... not quite the same as my '12 335 sport with 800 miles.

#13 ·
No. It only stops the vehicle if the vehicle is in D and the brake pedal is held (or Auto H is holding the vehicle).

(All this is stated in the owner's manual by the way........)

#16 · (Edited)
In your sequence of events, once you put it into Park after engine stop, I don't think it would automatically restart. You would need to manually hit the Start button.

That's logically how I think it'd work.

#15 ·
I don't know anything first hand about BMWs implementation of the Start/Stop in the F30. What I do know is that every single review I have read anywhere suggests shutting this thing off. It does not work like it should. Perhaps BMW should improve it in future versions but at the very least they should provide a setting in iDrive to disable this at start by default and enable it if desired and not the other way around.

#17 ·
Is it Automatics only? I ordered the 6spd and would really like to know if i will be impacted too!

#21 · (Edited)
Is it Automatics only? I ordered the 6spd and would really like to know if i will be impacted too!
Chances of a stall are probably less likely with the MT, mostly because the driver has more control as to whether or not the engine stops/starts automatically. For instance at a stop sign, one would likely keep the clutch depressed anyway for the brief stop and the engine would continue to run in this case.

I've personally driven with the system back in 2008 when it was introduced in Europe, and had no troubles with it. My dad has some issues because he likes to coast in Neutral (both illegal and dangerous); on a couple occasions the engine would cut out as a result because he had left it in N and released the clutch while driving.

#19 ·
I am in the process of switching between an audi a4 to a new 335i and I was so pumped because I felt that BMW would impede the driver with less interfering technology...

But this option just seems ridiculous... Im pretty sure you can thank your obama supporting friends for the "eco-pro" mode and the start/stop feature, and the less safe eco-tires on the 328, all for an extra mpg :rolleyes:

#23 · (Edited)
Most states have laws against coasting in neutral because the vehicle is not under your complete control when it is not in gear. For example, if you have to apply throttle to avoid an obstacle that you could not avoid by simply "coasting" around it then you will have to switch the car back into gear, etc. and as a result there could be an accident or injury.

Also, stalling in neutral, which can happen with some vehicles, can be dangerous, depending on what the affects of stalling are.

Now having said all of that, I do, infrequently coast in neutral with my 6MT transmission cars, on roads that I know well.

#24 ·
So I picked up the car last night. They said that initial tests found nothing but since I went in there with printouts of the Motor Trend article as well as community forum posts of others having the similar issue, they kept the car overnight to test when it is cold.

I am guessing they talked to BMW directly also as it was suggested that they do a reset of the "system" and the car seems to be driving fine now. I will try to re-create what I did to see if it stalls out again but so far so good.

#26 ·
Yes, I had this very issue with my 335. Here's the answer: the software needs updated, and after the software is updated, the car needs to be initialized. The local dealer initially told me they couldn't recreate my issue. However, I insisted there was a problem and I did not want to stall at a red light in rush hour again. Eventually, they replicated the problem and called New Jersey through PUMA (or whatever the internal system is called). This is where the outdated software diagnosis was made (service had no clue as the car is brand new). It's important to initialize the car after the software is updated. Since then I have had no problems. First post for me, and very happy BMW owner (sport line 335). Hope this helps!

#27 ·
Do you have any details from your dealer or BMW of NA to reference that I can provide to my dealer for service? Maybe a service note number or something similar?

Mine is definitely doing this... It has stalled at a stoplight a few blocks from my house 3 times in only a week - and then this morning I got in the car, started it up, drove one block to a stop sign and it shut the engine down! Clearly there is no way it should have shut the engine down after 1 block of driving!

So I called the service department at my local dealer (BMW of Dallas) and they told me they couldn't find anything indicating there was a problem. I convinced them to let me bring it in tomorrow evening and they will let it sit overnight and try first thing Friday morning.

#29 ·
Took mine into BMW of Dallas today. The Service Advisor called up one of the head technicians from the shop and it took him about 2 minutes to say "I think I've heard of this already", pull up the service bulletin on the computer and verify with me that was the problem.

They'll be doing the software update tomorrow and I should have my baby back tomorrow evening or by lunch on Saturday at the latest.

#32 ·
Start/Stop problem on brand new 328i

Have a brand new 2012 328i. It only has 200 miles on it and died twice driving in traffic. First time it restarted, second time it would not restart. This is a VERY DANGEROUS problem in traffic!!! Thankfully police arrived to help push it off the road. Called BMW assist for a tow (it took forever). Hopefully dealer can fix!!! My wife says she won't get into it again if not assured of a sure fix.

#33 ·
2012--328i auto/start stalling problem

We purchased my 2012--328i this month of April. It has 235 miles on it and yesterday out of the blue while driving, it stalled and would not restart. Three cars almost rear-ended me. The message light said to restart the engine which I tried multiple times and it would not start. As a female, I CANNOT have a car that dies in the middle of driving. This is a life-threatening situation. Had it stalled 10 min. earlier when I was on the freeway in Dallas on 635, I would have been dead as there were big rigs were on my rear and they would have run right over me. I am still shaking today from this incident. It was 80 degrees in Dallas yesterday so this is NOT a cold weather issue. My car had to be towed to the dealership 30 miles away. Texas has a lemon law and it his happens again, I will be returning my car and demanding a refund. BMW has no right putting selling a car that is not tested.

#37 ·
I had one very minor issue yesterday, first problem of any kind with the car (had it 2 months): stopped to pickup a friend, auto-stop kicked in. As she opened the door to get in, a warning came up saying 'car will not restart as Comfort Access key is not present'. However as I lifted my foot off the brake it re-started so just a false warning.

#38 ·
When I first got my 328i (with AT8), I always turned it off. Over the last month or so, I've let it function as designed. It has been 100% reliable, but it takes getting used to. The two biggest issues I have with it are turning left and having the auto start/stop activate. This means you have to allow additional time for the car to restart before you turn left against traffic. The other issue is when I pull into the garage at my house or into a parking spot, and the auto start/stop activates. As long as you remember to push the park button, that's not a problem, but if you forget, the car will restart when you let off the brake and move forward. I think this is a potential hazard.

#40 ·
This issue with the start stop feature is probably the biggest one I have seen floating around in these forums. This is getting me concerned as I am looking forward to ordering my 3 series xdrive later this year. I think someone mentioned this before... but if BMW can come up with an update that disables this feature by default and only engage it if needed (either through the button or the idrive) this would be a much safer alternative. It's only a matter of time before a stall causes a serious accident or incident and a mass recall is issued. Is this issue bothering any other potential buyers on this forum?

#41 ·
The problem is that BMW is touting the start/stop feature in their commercials and it is also possible that the feature is being used to get the quoted EPA fuel economy in city driving tests. I don't see BMW offering any way to permanently disable the start stop, although one thing that might help is if the system waited for say 5 seconds or so before engaging the engine shut off. That way the engine doesn't shut off when you are sitting briefly in an intersection getting ready to make a left hand turn.

What is particularly surprising about the problems and complaints about the system is that one would think that the new car (with the 2.0 engine) was built from the ground up to incorporate it. It seems particularly odd that such a critical feature seems to be poorly executed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.