BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Radio Issue - anyone got a line on this?

2K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  avus9 
#1 ·
So, I'm out for a drive in my 2010 550 GT and look over at the nav display - in the middle of the screen it says button 4 not programmed. It goes away and comes back. Very odd. this occurs a second time.

So while I'm at the dealer getting yet another O2 Sensor installed I ask them to look for it.

Their response was somewhat cryptic, and very disappointing:

"Overtemp faults in CID reduces PWM voltage to save modules from internally failing normal operations when temps are 110 and above".

Nothing can be done. Really? Has anyone heard of this?

I agree the temps were hot, as we're in AZ, but one would think that if I can suvive the heat in the car, the componetnts should be able to, or am I being unreasonable?

#2 ·
How odd. I don't drive my vehicle a whole lot, but the last time I drove it, about a week ago, the same thing kept happening to me. I thought once I shut the car off and restarted it, this would go away, but it didn't. And come to think of it, it was hot a hell outside. I live in Charlotte, NC. Had no idea that the flash was due to high temps.

So, you aren't going crazy.... I also have a 2010 550i GT.

Go figure!!!

#3 ·
I've searched - web and boards - and not seen another occurence. I've got a video of it happening, but it's pretty bad (driving while videotaping with an iphone doesn't yield Spielberg-quality results). But it is good to know I'm not nuts.

Whart i can't figure out is why the CID reducing PWM voltage cuases the system to think the programmable button is being pushed. It deosn't make sense to me. Can anyone out there with a bigger brain than mine explain this?

#4 ·
Yeah, it is crazy because I was just driving along and the flash came on the navi screen and I was thinking, "Damn, what did I accidentally press now". LOL

I am guessing that since we both have 2010 (first generation, GT) perhaps this is a kink limited to only those vehicles... (I guess). Wow. We are lucky. (sad face). Plus, it only happens when the outdoor temps are extreme, so others with F07 2010 may not experience it.

I too looked on the web and saw nothing in F07 or any other BMW forum or otherwise for that matter.

The next time I stop by the dealership, I will inquire and keep you posted.

#5 ·
Do you know the production date on yours, mine was 10/09. I also question wether this is a hardware or software issue. Regardless, at least now they can't blame it on the desert sun - Charlotte doesn't get to 115 (does it?). I just don't want to be dealing with this all summer long.

Happy 4th all!

#6 ·
I am not sure of the production date as I am out-of-town and my vehicle is at home. I will definitely let you know what my production date is when I get back. And the day this happened, it was 100 degrees with a heat index of 105. Not quite 115, but still pretty damn hot!
Yeah, I feel you. I don't want that "pop-up" constantly showing on the navi screen either.
UGH!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.