BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Why doesn't the manufacturer or the dealer tell us this stuff?

824 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  HokieXDriver 
#1 ·
If a car has been reprogrammed and the result has a noticeable effect on its performance, I think the manufacturer or the service department should provide the owner with information as to what was done and what to expect. I’m only talking about major changes, not insignificant ones.

For example, my 2012 328i was at the dealer’s a little over a month ago. I was only told that routine yearly service was performed and that there was reprogramming of some sort. No one mentioned what kind of reprogramming was done, so I didn’t bother to ask about it. Since no one said anything about it, I thought it consisted of minor changes.

I recently saw a thread in a newsgroup stating that this reprogramming had an effect on the ASS and that it now operated much more smoothly. I previously had avoided using it because I had stalled at couple of times and I didn’t care for the shuddering feeling when the engine restarted. After reading that thread, I began using the ASS again and it seems greatly improved. What bothers me is that I had to learn this from a newsgroup and not from BMW.

I also noticed that the reprogramming caused all the memory I had previously set up to disappear. My radio presets were missing and the seat was not in the same position as it was before. These were more inconveniences than major problems. However, the side view mirrors were out of position and totally useless, something I didn’t realize until I was in traffic. I know I should have checked them before I left the dealership but since no one said anything about them, I assumed they were okay. Wrong assumption. Driving without functioning side mirrors can be extremely dangerous. I tried to temporarily readjust them while moving in heavy traffic, something I do not recommend to anyone. Multitasking of any sort while driving is a terrible idea even if it involves doing something to make that driving safer. While my readjustments weren’t ideal, they were good enough to get me home safely.

If I was informed what the results of this service appointment would be, I would have been aware of all this. Someone should have told me but unfortunately, no one did. :(

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.