BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bmw 318i possible fuel pump failure?

2K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  hornhospital 
#1 ·
Hey! I have a 1984 BMW 318i. Usually while driving at freeway speeds, it starts to jerk a little bit, but not enough to cause alarm. Randomly, I was driving down the free way and I lost all power and the car started surging. I could drive the car at about 5 mph, but the vehicle violently jerked the whole ride and won't go over 2500 rpms. Now, the vehicle is parked and it will start up fine after cooling down, but whenever it warms up it starts acting up again. No idea where to start. I replaced the fuel regulator and checked the injectors. I think the engine isn't getting enough fuel. Thinking possibly the fuel pump went out? :cry:

#3 ·
sounds like the inline pump failed. but do the fuel pressure test and that will tell you whats going on. low pressure, replace inline pump. if you have normal pressure, then youve got another problem

#6 ·
Thanks for posting the solution! So many people come here, ask for help with a problem, then never return to say whether the problem was fixed or not. It helps tremendously to search for a fix and actually see a resolution to a problem. :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.