BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Having a problem with E93 top-please help!

5K views 28 replies 13 participants last post by  captainaudio 
#1 ·
Go figure. I've had my 08 335 for less than two months and the one major component not covered by my extended warranty seems to have failed on me. Problem is as follows and just happened with no previous hint of an issue: When lowering the top, it all folds nicely into the trunk, but the trunk does not close over it. There are no lights, warnings, or obvious and unusual noises. I did double check for any obstacles or other obvious reasons. It seems as tho the process just freezes-there is no sound from the top motor or anything... The trunk closes fine when the top in then raised. I'm hoping someone has some input that would help me fix this on my own without getting raped by my local dealer. Thanks everybody-I bow to your collective wisdom!! :bow::bow::bow:

#9 ·
It is time for you to appeal to the E93 goddess, Nordic_Kat.

Go into a field at midnight... waive a natural chamois over your head three times while quietly chanting... "Microfiber, euro-gear. Please o Katster, do appear."

It can't be a synthetic chamois or a small white goat will show up.

If you're lucky, she will post to this thread and offer you the one true answer.

#14 ·
It is time for you to appeal to the E93 goddess, Nordic_Kat.

Go into a field at midnight... waive a natural chamois over your head three times while quietly chanting... "Microfiber, euro-gear. Please o Katster, do appear."

It can't be a synthetic chamois or a small white goat will show up.

If you're lucky, she will post to this thread and offer you the one true answer.
LOL, Cooky. You forgot to tell the OP to click their heels 3 times. ;)

Doing a little research in my Bentley Manual, section 541-8 for those following along, is a listing of the Hall sensors.

Followed by 541-9-11 listing individual components that are part of the top actuation system including trunk lid acuatators.

I01198 is the Rear trunk module Convertible top rear module Hall sensor (almost closed)
I01199 is the Rear trunk module Convertible top rear module Hall sensor (open)

My bet is that I01198 Hall sensor is defective.

Will be interesting to see what the dealership assessment turns up.

OP, please post results. We are all very interested.

ps: I'm happy to be friends, and it really doesn't take midnight incantations. Welcome to the Cabrio club!

#10 ·
You really might want to try the relays Cal posted first but that decision is yours. Typically our top has Hall sensors and some microswitches. Have you done anything to dislodge one of these by any chance? It doesn't take much.
Our code readers can help but the top is so specific. You say you have an extended warranty. If it is BMW extended warranty they changed their policy and now do cover the top. You might double check because when I looked at buying one they didn't cover the top...

#11 ·
Thanks for the input. It's def not covered under warranty-I just checked-but good advise to try anyway! I can't even access the majority of the sensors with the top now stuck up. I've got an appointment today to forfeit my life savings for topless fun. Will post results-hopefully with minimal swear words! Perhaps I should make friends with the elusive Nordic Kat for next time...

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#17 ·
Thanks again everybody for taking the time to help out a newb! I must have done my midnight seance just right to summon the kat... Turns out, after a very expensive visit to my local don't-you-wish-you'd-bought-a-new-one-because-it-would-be-under-warranty BMW dealer, I have a brand new hydraulic pump for the top. And Santa always thought he knew what I really wanted... Anyway, all's well now, and I forgave my car for breaking after only a few minutes back in the driver's seat! I'll definitely be referencing the top maintenance thread in the near future to hopefully avoid any further issues with the voodoo that is my optional roof.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.