BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

JB4 Stage 2 installed! A Must have for all F10 535i!

32K views 64 replies 20 participants last post by  miamiboyca 
#1 · (Edited)
Recently I been Fed up with waiting for Dinan to release a tune for F10 535i, along with feeling the need for more power, I decided to go with the JB4 stage 2 tune from Burger Motorsports.
From the Dyno I've seen I figure this would be a slight barely noticeable improvement on the car, but Boy was I wrong! The tune blew my mind away! Completely off my head and into Outer space! I can not believe how an inexpensive little box could change the car so much.

Pros:
- My biggest complaint against the F10 5 series was the throttle response. The car while smooth is very lazy on the throttle. There is a half second delay between stomping on the gas and the actually car moving. Sometimes you would even fall behind traffic because of it. This tune completely changed it. The car suddenly becomes a lot more responsive. At the lightest touch of gas, the car would start moving. It actually made the 535i felt like my F30 335i. It's as if the car lost 500 lbs!
- Installation was really easy. The installation really only took 5 minutes. Most of the cables are just plug and play. Some slots were a little hard to reach, but no big deal. People were complaining how the stage 2 has to tap in 2 wires. But Terry has included some nice little tool so it goes unnoticeable. (Props to Terry Burger who personally installed the tune for me :D)
- The price is perfect. Unlike the $3k to $4k 550i tune charge by Dinan. The Burger tune is only $529. For the improvement, this price is completely reasonable. Wouldn't mind paying twice as much to be honest. :D
- And of course, Power. According to the Burger Website, the N55 JB4 stage 2 tune gives +80HP and +100lb torque. Does it feel like it? You bet your ass it does! In Sports or Manual Shift, the car accelerates violently. At full throttle, the traction control would kick in every time. I can't even open it up around town now, because how fast it accelerates. It makes the car feel like a muscle car, like the car has 400HP! (At least my butt dyno tells me it does :D)

Cons:
- There are one or two cons about the tune. One thing many people would be disappointed to hear is the Turbo Lag didn't go away. I guess it's impossible to get rid of it since even the M5 have it. But it is minimized with the tune. You can't really feel it unless you stomp it full throttle suddenly.
- Burger is still working on adding some of the features to the tune, such as on dash map changing, etc. The only way to change the map now is to use a USB cable and Laptop, no biggie

So in the end, I would recommend the tune to all F10 535i owners. I would go to even say it is a must have. Even if you don't need the extra power, the tune makes the car so much more responsive and easier to drive around town. On highway too, since the car accelerate much quicker, which allows much easier lane change and passing.
I'm in love with the tune. :thumbup:

See less See more
#2 ·
Did you have any tip in issues? If so, what did I do?

#3 ·
Before the tune, yes a huge tip in issue.
After the tune, nope it's all gone. The throttle and acceleration is now instant. Even at the lightest touch the car goes. :D

#4 ·
Not lag when under way. From a start.

#9 · (Edited)
Exactly what I was saying.
The throttle "tip in" from a start has gone away. The throttle response is now smooth as silk. No more jerky acceleration.

BMS has sold a lot of N55 juice boxes and he sold many N54 before that...many happy customers from what I've read. The stock torque on that dyno run looks surprisingly high....328 ft. lbs at the wheels? when the car is rated 300 ft lbs at the crank. Perhaps that car has numerous other mods that are incompatible with the juice box? Many other dyno runs prove what the product claims...and what the OP of this thread reports. Return it for a refund if not happy.
Yep. An extremely happy customer right here. :D

#11 ·
Exactly what I was saying.
The throttle "tip in" from a start has gone away. The throttle response is now smooth as silk. No more jerky acceleration.

Yep. An extremely happy customer right here. :D
OK, I'm buying one as soon as the car comes back from the shop.

#5 ·
Thanks for the energetic review.

It seems you may have seen this disturbing dyno of a n55 F10 with the JB4-stage 2 BMS tune:

http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=784125

Did you ask Terry about this?? I was ready to buy this tune; however, the above dyno is very disturbing to me. I am anxiously waiting to see when Terry will respond to this information. It seems that the shop has contacted Terry over 2 weeks ago about this.

#7 ·
Yeah I seen that chart.
Not sure what caused that or why the dyno was so choppy.
It might have been driver issue
Doesn't really matter to me though.
Because this tune is so much more than just numbers. The improvement made to the driving feel alone made it worth every penny. :)

#8 ·
BMS has sold a lot of N55 juice boxes and he sold many N54 before that...many happy customers from what I've read. The stock torque on that dyno run looks surprisingly high....328 ft. lbs at the wheels? when the car is rated 300 ft lbs at the crank. Perhaps that car has numerous other mods that are incompatible with the juice box? Many other dyno runs prove what the product claims...and what the OP of this thread reports. Return it for a refund if not happy.

#13 ·
+1 :thumbup:

I still have yet to see a real before and after dyno with these tunes. I just picked up the stage 1 from a local fester who is going a different route. I plan on doing before and after dyno's at every point. Before stage 1, after stage 1, and then after stage 2. That is if my car tags ever get here.

I guess I just dont understand the doing something like this without measuring it properly. I guess I am just to anal about it.

#15 ·
There are plenty of after dunos, there are not a lot of dynos out there that show the before and after. The butt dyno while important is the least reliable as it is affected by the wallet dyno (money you just shelled out) and the Placebo dyno (I added a boost, so it must be great)

Again, not doubting the OP feels happy with his upgrade, just that without actual data - its just that - a feeling.

#33 ·
With none of the details that affect the results.

The one thing I will say about all of the results I have seen is that whatever power it adds does come on a lot earlier.

#39 ·
Are you guys removing your tune when you bring it in for service? Is it a lot harder to remove the stage 2 vs the 1? My car is bought (not leased). If I do the stage 2, should I worry about the constant install and removal for the longevity of the wires and connectors? Do you guys leave in your T-splicer too?

#41 ·
I'd also like to hear more on this. I understand there are differences in people's abilities to install but how can the ranges be from 5 minutes to an hour and a half?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#43 ·
I wonder if our buddy is still using the Stage 1 from Ramble that I never installed.

#46 ·
Deep!!!

I have been out of touch, but I put in the stage 2. Never took even took it off for maintenance and dealership didn't say a word.

#47 ·
Seriously? No codes or anything thrown? No "hey you modded this car bye bye warranty"?

#48 · (Edited)
Nada! But I did my install so you can't really see it.

BTW I did dyno before and after. Only about 15HP, but almost 100lbs gained

#49 ·
Nice to know. I may have to re-think putting one on.

#50 ·
I took mine to Arlingron BMW for the first service, I may have just gotten lucky but mine you have to look for it to see it.

Deep - it's been too long man!

#51 ·
Hey buddy!! I randomly came across this thread. Sorry for not responding sooner. Let's do C&C this August.

Super cool to hear about your install of the jb4. 15hp is a bit laughable; however 100 ft/lb is serious! Hope to catch up soon. Being the dyno! Lol.

#52 ·
Damn Miami, if you are only getting 15hp from stage 2, what am I getting from stage 1? 5hp? :(

Deep, I'm in for the August C&C! We've got some catching up to do...

#53 ·
My 2 cents... Put JB4 in F30...stage 1. No problems. Went to stage 5 , added Wag Intercooler...got battery issues.. Went back to stage 1...same issues. Removed completely. No issues after that. Put in F10 (535xi), stage 1 and no issues...yet. Seems to a random bug about the battery drain issue. Sold F30 and getting a 550i . Won't do anything to this one as I have learned my lesson I guess. Not a big deal but simply annoying I guess. However I will say stage 5 is amazing in the F30. Throttle response was great! Pulled like crazy.

#56 ·
Interesting, I experience no such power drain on the battery. The only time I ever get a message is when I have traveled for 7+ days and then I am alerted that accessories were turned off.

Pretty cool that you found that, how did you test it?

#57 ·
Power electronics is one of my professional skills. I have all the gear to test for this type of thing, so it was easy. I alerted Terry. He tells me that it is an issue with only some of the F10's and not the F30's. My take is that it is more likely an issue with all F10's but that at the rate of current drain, it takes a few days to show up. If you drive frequently, you may not get the fault. I have no real proof that all F10's are affected, and I have no comment on the F30 since I've never tested one.

Terry approved of my fix. That means there is no reason for concern if the JB4 is power cycled every time the vehicle is shut down. And the JB4 will remember the last settings so no concern there either.

Regards -

#59 ·
Im starting to notice most of these tuners are adding very little power up top (seems like either the turbo runs out of steam at the same point, or they just arent adding any more boost up top) and many of the dynos are quoting gains off the torque spike before the wastegate opens. Some of the 14-16-18 lb dyno overlays look identical other than a 500 rpm spike with minimal differences otherwise. Anyone have any good clean graphs without spikes to show some real gains? Im dying to buy something for my 2011 535xi but im really not sold on any of this stuff yet especially if all it does is add a bit of low end grunt with nothing up top.

#60 ·
Burgertuning JB4 Bone Stock 535xi M Sport?

Hey guys, so i have a question that i need help with!

I just leased a 2016 535xi m sport "Which is believe is the N55", long story short, its a LEASE. I do not own the car neither do i plan buying the car after lease is up. I took a look at burgertuning jb4 set up, saying it upgrades 80hp 100tq? My question is i do not want to add a down pipe or make any changes other than just the chip "jb4".

#1 What kind of power should i expect on a bone stock jb4 chip 2016 535xi m sport?

#2 Do i order jb4 stage 1 or stage 2 for the most power?

#3 Has anyone done a jb4 to a stock f10 535 and have any comments?

#4 The reason why i want the jb4 burgertuning chip because supposely it is 5min to install 5mn to uninstall? That way when i take it in for service, i can just pull the chip out quickly.

#5 It seems cheap $549? Do you guys think its worth it? Thank you:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.