BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Thinking about a 2011 335D, just have some questions

4K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  dragoncoach 
#1 ·
Let me preface this with I've been a diesel owner since 2001. Owned , driven and maintained an 01 Dodge Cummins and a 00 VW Jetta. Went into diesel ownership completely blind. I've since learned quite a bit but am completely new to the BMW plateform. I still currently drive own the Jetta (205k miles) and for the most part it's been trouble free. The EGR cooler has been removed and adjusted in the CPU , CAT was removed as well. These things were done to help the longevity and reliabilty of the vehicle (I don't ever want to clean an intake again) . I for the most part have done the maintenence myself even though I'll pay a trusted independent now. My daily commute is perfect for a diesel. 2 miles from home and work to the freeway then 37 miles of freeway driving. Nice warm up and a 80mph cruise on the freeway with a nice cool down period.

Okay, now for the questions. A co-worker has a 2011 335D with 30k mles on it. It is a lease and will be returning it in March. He has told me the buy out is $22k. That being said, I will be looking for a replacement for the Jetta. I'm open to anything but have been eyeballing the 335 in the parking lot for a while.
I've done a fair amount of reading so far and for the most part it seems like normal diesel type reliabilty issues. So are there EGR cooler delete options ? The emissions controls seems to be the downfall of these diesels. Would purchasing this car without it going thru the BMW system (CPO) be recommended ? Is an extended warranty highly recommended ? If I purchase this I plan on keeping it for the long haul. Are there transmission issues ? Not sure if this car has the sport package or not, I know it does have the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Are there any specific questions I should be asking the current owner other than the standard "purchasing a pre-owned vehicle" set of questions ? Is it a relatively reliable vehicle ... are there some high mileage owners out there, if so please chime in.
Any kind of info would be appreciated. I've got some time before a purchase will be made so I will be doing plenty of reading on the topic.
Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#2 ·
Scarab,

That's a lot of questions, and I'm sure you can find much info searching within this site.

Many of us are complainers, which is why you will see a lot of "issues" on this site. Those that don't have problems, which I'm sure are the majority, don't take the time to whine about things.

That said my 335D is a 2010 purcahsed in Sept 09, so I'm reaching 5 years soon (and end of last monthly note!). I have almost 75k miles and I have never been stranded, which will be the time I will most definitely replace this car.

These cars like to be driven, mainly highway, that is where they get their best performance for sure.

The emissions have of course been the primary problems for most of us posting here, but to date it has not cost me a penny as it has been covered under warranty. I did do the extended warranty, 6 years/100k miles, which will fit very well with how much driving I do.

I have not modified my car at all, many do. I follow the OEM Manual and the car has been completely reliable and a lot of fun to drive. I will definitely hold on to it for 6 years and we'll see how it goes after that. It still looks like a new one.

#3 ·
22k for 3yr old and 30k miles is very good deal I say. If it has paddle shifters then it should have sports pack too. Just find out what other packages it has.

On reliability side I second Flyingman. My car is a month younger to his car and I have about 60k. No troubles so far and got gold extended warranty. I have decided to keep it till 90-95k miles and then make make a call.
If you think you can live with carbon cleaning problem as it seems like it is inevitable it's just about when it going to happen unless u take precautions which I don't know of.

Outside of emissions problem rest all are pretty much solid.

Good luck with car purchase.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

#4 ·
The emissions system can't be removed. It's DPF plus SCR (Urea) . You can block off the EGR and add a catch can or meth. That will take care of any carbon buildup.

I have a 2010 and when I hit 50k miles I've been dealing with a problem with the SCR system on and off since last November. The replacement part keeps failing.

#8 ·
The emissions system can't be removed. It's DPF plus SCR (Urea) . You can block off the EGR and add a catch can or meth. That will take care of any carbon buildup.

I have a 2010 and when I hit 50k miles I've been dealing with a problem with the SCR system on and off since last November. The replacement part keeps failing.
The SCR, DEF and DPF can all be removed if you find the "right" shop(s).

#5 ·
2011 with +88K. The car has never stranded me. Problems to date include a clunky steering rack and a failed turn signal. However, tomorrow it goes in for the SES light, related to injector #6 issues and rough idle. It could be the beginning of CBU. Great car, so far.

#6 ·
2011 fully loaded with 66K. Had CBU a couple of months back, which they cleaned as well as replaced the injectors, and emissions recalls earlier. Never stranded, but hit limp mode prior to the carbon removal. Still in love with the performance - perfect highway commuter.

If it has 18 inch staggered double spoke wheels and the sport seats with thigh adjustment it has the sports package. I think the paddles were a separate option.

#7 ·
Talked with the owner today. It does have the sport package but he is going to bring the build sheet in tomorrow for a complete list of options. He has had the dealer do all the scheduled maintenance and so far has not had an SES light. Judging from the current shape the tires are in (which will be replaced prior to selling), he is a "spirited" driver for sure.
He spoke briefly with the dealer and was told an extended warranty can be purchased. I just need to know the specifics of that, he made it seem like I could purchase one even after purchasing the vehicle from him. I'm not real fond of third party warranties so I will need to find out more about that. Also have to get the exact number for the buy out.
Just in the reading I've done so far, it seems like any issue that arises is emissions related. I'm sure I will eventually to the EGR block off and I remember reading that there are some companies that will gut the DPF then tune the EGR , DPF out of the CPU. I'm not sure I have a complete understanding as of yet on that though.

#15 · (Edited)
You could ask for the vehicle maintenance history to see what has been done. If his buy out is $22k, that doesn't mean you'll be able to purchase the vehicle from the dealer for $22k. Was this a 4 year lease (seems like it since it was 2011 and lease is up March 2015), if so, there would be no warranty remaining. Which warranty did your neighbor say could be extended, because it would have to be done before his lease expired since his lease expiration seems to be at the 4 year mark. If not, then the warranty could not be extended. I would also check on whichever warranty you are talking about directly from the BMW dealership, since BMW has changed several of its warranty rules. Not sure they even offer extended maintenance warranty any longer, and there is conflicting information on its website, although they still offer extended vehicle warranties. If the dealer is going to CPO (and that is an if), CPO rules also changed for CPOs after Jan 1, 2014, like what is not covered like SCR, brake pads and rotors, etc. (http://cache.bmwusa.com/Pdf_16a4e27...2.arox?v=79f4acc1-ae77-4845-91df-adbdaad31bd1). So even if you purchased as CPO, the emissions issue for the 335d (e.g. SCR system) would not even be covered (except only the SCR catalyst covered under federal emissions warranty) under the CPO warranty. Did the vehicle get checked out or subject to the 2011-2012 recall to check the SCR system? If your neighbor hasn't had rotors and brakes replaced, those also wouldn't be covered under the new CPO rules. As far as gutting SCR, DEF, DPF and remapping CPU, will the cost justify doing so? I've read around over $5k or so for DEF/DPF and remapping, and more for SCR removal, etc. Seems like you'd spend half vehicle cost to gut emissions stuff. I imagine you could also be violating some U.S. laws by removing US required emissions components in Canada to bring back to the US, so I would think folks on the board wouldn't be recommending doing something illegal. Any mod, regardless of whether you risk getting caught or not, could also cost much more if you do get caught bringing the vehicle back into the US. I also thought I read although you can find shops in Ontario which will tamper with vehicle emission systems, it is technically illegal to do so, although not rigidly enforced unless you get caught by the smog patrol or during registration or vehicle transfer.

#22 ·
Then BMW needs to give us an extended warranty to 7/120K like they did with HPFP. Sad that we're all beta testers who will eventually be left holding the bag...

For the OP, unless you've got deep pockets for repair or can get away with deleting the emissions equipment (can't here in Kalifornia as our d's are required to have emission systems checked every 2 years from when bought, even more frequent than new gassers) I'd avoid the 335d and look at something else. The fact that the 335i has better resale value should tell you something which is the complete opposite of VW diesel resale values.
BMW, or any other car company, doesn't "need" to give us anything. Consumers have a choice to buy, not buy, or sell. BMW did self-recall for emissions related components. I wouldn't say we were beta testers, since BMW sold diesels in Europe for few years before the US.

#25 ·
BMW, or any other car company, doesn't "need" to give us anything. Consumers have a choice to buy, not buy, or sell. BMW did self-recall for emissions related components. I wouldn't say we were beta testers, since BMW sold diesels in Europe for few years before the US.
Those diesels in Europe (at least the ones that were out when the E90's were being made) didn't have our auto-fail DEF tanks/pumps. Furthermore, the recall didn't extend the warranty like the HPFP debacle did. Finally, do you think many of us would've bought the car if we knew we'd be all regularly replacing the DEF tanks along with much more expensive CBU cleanup than 335i at exorbitant prices with no cheaper 3rd party alternative? That's why, given the chance I'd gladly dump the emissions equipment, it's not to gain extra power or fuel economy like the truckers do, it's so I can get 100,000+ miles out of this car like my E46 without spending $10K+ on repairs

#19 ·
I'm starting to think this vehicle might not be the one for me. Seems like a risk purchasing it with no warranty. Also by the time I get it tin my hands it will be $2,, 5-26k with 35k miles. After looking at the car again, it isn't perfect there are a few scratches on the hood, a small dent on the rear door and some scuffing on the bottom of the front facia. Interior is perfect.
Most of the CPO ones I've found in my area are $30k-ish with 40k plus miles.

As far as eliminating the emissions for $2500-3000, what is the typical repair cost at the dealership for emissions related issues? One repair could cost as much as eliminating it all together which I would never have to worry about issues again. Eliminating all that stuff was the first thing I did on my TDI, but it is much less complex and I did it myself. 205k miles so far.

#23 ·
As far as eliminating the emissions for $2500-3000, what is the typical repair cost at the dealership for emissions related issues? One repair could cost as much as eliminating it all together which I would never have to worry about issues again. Eliminating all that stuff was the first thing I did on my TDI, but it is much less complex and I did it myself. 205k miles so far.
again, it's against federal law to remove emissions related components, except for repair/replace.

#29 ·
At 89K miles, I have fallen victim to out of warranty Carbon Build Up. It will cost me $2800 to have the dealership "fix" it. The "drive it hard and you won't have a problem" mantra, appears to merely delay the inevitable.

Buy the extended warranty!

#30 ·
Unless something else breaks on your car, you're still ahead... My dealer wanted almost $4000 for the complete extended warranty to cover my idrive system... Nevertheless, my E46 only needed brakes and fluid changes in the first 100K miles of ownership.

#31 ·
One other thing to bear in mind is the possibility that there may be more supply of pre-owned 335d's than there is demand. Thus, if you were to purchase one you would need to evaluate the risks that you would be forced to either have to hang onto it to take a beating to rid yourself of it. There are enough folks like you who do their homework that I suspect this may have an effect on the market for these cars and thus prices. While complete and accurate data is likely unavailable - only BMW would know what fraction of 335d's have had emissions issues for example and they are not saying - tales of woe and great expense are not uncommon relative to tales of worry-free enthusiasm.

If you crave power AND efficiency you currently have few options and almost none in the pre-owned market - your car is the 335d and take the risks. You'd still have 20k miles of warranty yes? Moreover, that is a great price even in U.S. dollars. Tough call.

One other thing, I bought a BMW Powertrain Plus warranty for one of my 335d's only to discover after the fact that CBU is not covered. Fortunately I did not have any, but if I had I would have had a $2400 extended warranty that did not really cover the Powertrain.

#32 ·
Normally when I purchase a vehicle, resale value isn't in my thoughts only because I keep them so long they aren't usually worth anything anymore. And as I'm finding in my research, the extended warranties generally aren't worth it. Just like when I purchased my first diesel a Cummins Dodge truck there was a saying that was floating around on the Turbodiesel register website..."you are your own warranty " , meaning figure it out and fix it yourself. Much easier on a 14 year old Cummins vs the complex machine that is now the modern diesel.

#35 ·
So did you buy the car? We made a deal tonight on a 2011 335d. We will probably take delivery next week as the current owner is paying off the car and getting the pink slip. It's Le Mans Blue w Dakota Beige interior. It's pretty loaded w M Sport, Premium Package, and Navi. It's got 1 more year of warranty plus an additional 2 years of CPO and maintenance and is a one owner car. The best part is it only has 18k miles. No unusual dealer service other than a new battery because it wasn't driven enough! Updates coming after we take delivery. I've been looking at 335d's but not really serious about purchasing. Then, this car caught my eye and we bought it the same day it was listed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.