BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

What does perfection look like?

32K views 96 replies 26 participants last post by  everettpa1 
#1 ·
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiuaFwzJ4FU&feature=em-uploademail

It looks like the product of depth and precision from both man and machine with the BMW Quality Management. You think you're detail-oriented? Well when you're finished straightening your tie, check out the attention that each and every nut and bolt of every BMW manufactured receives throughout the assembly lines. You're going to want to floss after. Maybe iron the curtains too. Just trust me.

#2 ·
With all due respect, this is more of a marketing tool than anything else.

I like my BMWs for its driving dynamics, but quality control has never been its strong suit. When we are told orange peel effect on the paint job is "normal", it undoes its marketing words like "perfection".

#3 ·
And if you believe that you may be interested in a bridge that I have for sale.

#15 ·
I'll second that with the template/original of that beautiful bridge.

Bridge Landmark Architecture Arch bridge Arch

#6 ·
I have two BMWs and don't really have issues with the build quality but it is no better than many other cars I have owned. The most solid feeling car I ever owned was my 1992 Lexus SC300. That car felt like it was carved out of a solid block of steel. Closing the hood felt like you were closing the door of a vault. The worst build quality was my 1969 Firebird 400. I remember a commercial a few years back where they put a Lexus on a giant rotisserie like device and ran a ball bearing around the door to show how consistent the width of the door seams was. My Firebird not only would have failed the ball bearing test it would have failed a bowling ball test. Since the Firebird days I had a Honda Accord and an Acura Integra (both very good build quality) several Jaguars (most recently an XKR - very good build quality and fit and finish and extremely high quality material in the interior) the Lexus. I now have a 335i and a 750Li. Both are solid well built cars but far from "perfection". I have to give credit where credit is due and the 335i Cabrio has remained rattle free in spite of the punishment it took on NYC roads while it was equipped with OEM shock absorbers and RFTs.

CA

#8 ·
My 335i is at 6 years and 45,000 miles and is still rattle free, which is more that I can say about it when it was new. It had an annoying dash rattle when it was new that drove me crazy. I read somewhere that if something gets into the air vents under the front seats you will hear the rattle coming out of the dashboard vents. I vacuumed the vents under the seats and the rattle went away. There is very little tire noise with the Conti DWS tires and very little wind noise which I attribute to the lack of B pillars on the cabrio. It does not have the bank vault feel that my Lexus Coupe had (but from what I have heard the new Lexus models don't have that quality anymore) but the car is very solid after getting beat up on NYC roads for 6 years. The 750 is only a bit over 2 years old but that car (RFTs and all) is completely oblivious to NYC potholes when it is in Comfort Plus mode. In Sport Plus modes the shifts become more agressive, the steering tightens up and I swear to God the car becomes 18" shorter and 500 pounds lighter.

CA

#10 ·
For the sake of honesty, I should probably mention that my new estoril blue M sport 328i from S. Africa has a 2" paint run on the trunk lid. It's above the license plate. I guess their perfection crew missed that. Body panel fit is ok. Not great. I agree another poster. Driving dynamics is why to buy a BMW. If you want perfection, look at Lexus, Acura, Audi, and maybe Porsche? Ofcourse all of those brands except Porsche and maybe the S series Audi's represent boring to me.

#13 ·
Indeed perfection is not the word to use, but In my eyes it looks to have gotten better than before. Is the quality they're talking about the way the car is sitting on the lot, or perhaps 1 to 2 years down the road? I agree Lexus overall quality is better for a longer time. My X5 is peeling and separating itself on purpose. It's holding up pretty good for an 11 year old though. My E60 is doing much better and looks like it would last much longer. So it looks to be getting better over the years, but perfection is far away because even Lexus wouldn't admit they're perfect.

#32 ·
there is a strong correlation between Men driving German Cars and Desiring for (high end) Swiss watches

proof : just buy a Euro car magazines like Autocar, Evo and see which watch brands advertised in there

we call thme "being BRAND washed" ... and I am a victim

#46 ·
Say what you will about Omega's, 'for people who can't afford a Rolex', 'too pedestrian' etc. but I'm a loyal Omega-man.
Though, Rolex Sub is one fine time-piece. If I were to buy a Rolex, it'd be that one. May be down the road, I'm just 26 now. Got to climb up that watch-collection ladder... :D

#52 · (Edited)
Nice PO's MML,
Aside from Bedden, I dont really hear anyone saying that about Omega. Especially now that the price gap is beginning to narrow. Most people I know who collect, own or at least respect both brands.

Looking at your choices in those snaps, a DSSD would probably be your next step.

Chiba

#48 · (Edited)
For a while I was into thin watches and got this Movado and this Concord Delirium. I have another Delirium in White Gold with a leather band.

And a Patek Philippe Calatrava

#57 ·
I only have one Rolex, an Oyster Perpertual Day Date.

I stopped buying watches a number of years ago because I was rarely wearing many of them.

I did buy a watch last November. We were in Boca Raton and the only watch I had with me, the Girard Perregaux Vintage 1945, stopped working. I went to the Movado Outet in Sawgrass Mills becuase I had a $50 coupon. I asked them for the cheapest watch in the store which was an ESQ that was on sale for $95. I gave them the coupon and $45 and I had a working watch for the remainder of my stay. When I got back to NYC I had the GP repaired for $275 and it is working fine again.

CA

#62 · (Edited)
I only have one Rolex, an Oyster Perpertual Day Date.

CA

My only gold watch is a 1957 Oyster Perpetual Day Date with the Eisenhower era arrowhead markers. I rarely wear it, just not my style right now, but its nice to look at every once in awhile.

The men's small (or boys) watch is my wife's. Bought it for our 10 year anniversary, closest match to the Turnograph, sort of a his-and-hers kind of thing. The ladies Rolex is a very dainty watch; the larger size really looks much better.

BJ

#59 · (Edited)
If I was going to spend stupid money on a watch I would get a Roger Debuis.
But I don't see that happening in this lifetime.

Skeleton Watches are fascinating but I would not necessarily want to wear one.

Roger Dubuis Excalibur Double Flying Tourbillon Rose Gold Watch

*******> ********>*******>********>*******>********>*******>********>
Brand: Roger DubuisDial Color: Skeleton
Series: ExcaliburBracelet/Strap: Alligator
Model Number: EX45-01SQ-50-00-SE000-B1Clasp Type: Folding
Size: - Power Reserve: 48 hours
Case Material: 18kt Pink GoldWater Resistance: 50 meters/165
Case Dimensions: 45mm diameterWarranty: The Finest Watches Two-Year Warranty
Case Thickness: N/ALimited Edition: 28 pieces
Crystal: - Special Features: Double Tourbillon
*******> ********>
Retail Price: $250,000.00
Condition: Unused with Roger Dubuis Box
Availability: Contact Us $187,500.00
You save 25% ($62,500.00)

#63 · (Edited)
If I was going to spend stupid money on a watch I would get a Roger Debuis.
But I don't see that happening in this lifetime.

Roger Dubuis Excalibur Double Flying Tourbillon Rose Gold Watch
Roger Dubuis started out with some elegant watches and then he kinda got insane with some of his designs.

One watch that I keep my eye on is by Ulysse Nardin, the San Marco Jacquemarts Minute Repeater Manual Yellow Gold. They were a limited edition that sold out a number of years ago. I have found a couple of used ones, but they wanted more than I was willing to pay. The sound of the bell when striking is spectacular, IMO.

#61 · (Edited)
I bought this watch last year at Tourneau in the Gardens Mall in Palm Beach Gardens. I wanted something to wear while fishing and what not. It's the most comfortable watch that I have. It does have an automatic ETA movement.

SSwiss Army Dive Master 500 Automatic - Gunmetal PVD - Black Face - Rubber

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.