BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

New Software Update

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  maxwhirl 
#1 ·
I made an appointment today to get the oil changed on my 2011 x3 28 and the service writer said there is a software update that needs to be installed. I already got the major update to fix the hesitation, and it was updated again when they installed the trailer hitch. He said this new update only takes 1 1/2 hours. Any idea what this software update is all about?:dunno:

#2 ·
Hesitation Update?

Wait, you said you got a software update to address "hesitation?" I HATE my transmission because it totally hesitates all the time on acceleration, especially in higher gears which is seriously dangerous on the highway and super-annoying. If there's a fix I would be so grateful! When was that update made available? I bought my car in October and brought it in for this reason a few weeks later, but the service rep just said it was "working as intended"

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!

#3 ·
Wait, you said you got a software update to address "hesitation?" I HATE my transmission because it totally hesitates all the time on acceleration, especially in higher gears which is seriously dangerous on the highway and super-annoying. If there's a fix I would be so grateful! When was that update made available? I bought my car in October and brought it in for this reason a few weeks later, but the service rep just said it was "working as intended"

Any info you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

thanks!
I think our 2013 X3's already have the updated software for the hesitation issue, i guess the hesitation was even worse. I am getting used to it though, perhaps my driving habit has changed. And also the sports mode certainly minimizes the hesitation.

#4 ·
Ah, that's really too bad. Yes, Sports mode helps some, but I find that the downshifts in Sports mode are unpleasant, plus there's the annoying problem that it always reverts to "Comfort" upon restart. I have to say, I wish I could have my manual E90 back. This 7-gear POS makes me regret buying BMW.

#5 ·
You only got 7 gears? There's the problem! :)

#7 ·
Okay, this latest update is actually a recall for the comfort access key. Seems the some vehicles are having issues communicating with the key. I really haven't had that issue, but I've now had the service done.

I had a loner today which was a 2013 328. No hesitation with that car. I did turn off the auto shutoff feature. How annoying. It was a nice car but the 4 banger engine reminded me of Honda Accords I had 15 years ago. Really prefer the straight 6 in the BMWs.

#9 · (Edited)
Mine is a 2013 Xdrive i28 X3. In "comfort mode" if you're driving at 20-50mph and you press firmly on the gas, there's a solid 1-second lag before anything happens, then, it lurches forward (having presumably down-shifted and authorized the acceleration you requested).

During that one second lag, you instinctively either press harder because nothing is happening and you need to get out of trouble, or you back off trying to gauge what to do next. In either case, that means that when the transmission finally kicks in, you either speed up even further or lurch back to a slower speed. Both cases are uncomfortable and potentially dangerous. IMO the whole thing is a mess.

As I said, I brought it in and the dealer said it was working as designed.

Sport mode is much more responsive when accelerating, but I find that decelerating in Sport mode feels like driving with a kid who downshifts too often and too early. Also, it always reverts to Comfort mode when you start the car, so I have to train myself to turn on Sport mode whenever I get on the highway.

I wonder if there is some third party tuning that can be done to customize the program. I'm sure someone here knows all about that. :)

#10 ·
The auto shutoff is also annoying, but at least you can have that stay off (though that requires a 4-hour visit to the dealer). Apparently they add that to achieve legal fuel economy standards, since when using the auto shutoff, your economy is improved by 1 mpg or so. For me (in typical LA city street driving) the auto shutoff is absurdly impractical. (as you can tell I'm pretty disappointed with a lot of the new features on this 2013 car).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.