BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Loud Squealing Noise

72K views 179 replies 45 participants last post by  Bilzer81 
#1 · (Edited)
Loud Squealing Noise - UPDATE

My car has less than 6k mi on it and I have noticed on several occasions that when I cold start my car, I hear a loud squealing/screeching noise that sounds a lot like a fan belt slipping. I first heard the noise while creeping along in slow moving traffic, but I was in denial at that point that the hideous noise I was hearing was actually coming from my car. Now after hearing it several times at start up to include this past Sunday, I can say with confidence this despicable noise is in fact emanating from my car. :eek:

I plan to take it in to the dealer, but I was curious if any of my fellow "d" owners has encountered a similar issue. :dunno:

#2 ·
My car has less than 6k mi on it and I have noticed on several occasions that when I cold start my car, I hear a loud squealing/screeching noise that sounds a lot like a fan belt slipping. I first heard the noise while creeping along in slow moving traffic, but I was in denial at that point that the hideous noise I was hearing was actually coming from my car. Now after hearing it several times at start up to include this past Sunday, I can say with confidence this despicable noise is in fact emanating from my car. :eek:

I plan to take it in to the dealer, but I was curious if any of my fellow "d" owners has encountered a similar issue. :dunno:
That's a timely question for me, as just yesterday I was backing out of my garage and heard the distinct screech of, I'm assuming, a slipping belt. It only lasted for a second. I had not driven the car for about a week (just had knee/ACL surgery :eek:uch: ) so I rationalized it must have been an isolated issue. I've had the car for 1 yr + 2 days (13k miles) and that was the first squeal I've heard that wasn't from the tires...

If you take it in, let me know if they find anything unusual.

-Graham

#3 ·
Had the same issue on my 2011 335d. Mine occurred if the car sat out in the sun for a period of time and squealed when the A/C kicked in after start-up.
Took it to the dealer and they cleaned "contamination" (oil, grease, dirt) from the belt and re-adjusted the tension. Fixed the problem right away. NO CHARGE!!

#5 · (Edited)
Definitely a squeeling fan belt, unless you have a pig farm near you?

Very annoying and usually resolved by a simple tightening of a loose belt.

However, it could also potentially indicate a binding bearing on an idler pulley or A/C compressor wheel.

Sometimes it can occur when the belt is wet or there is high humidity.

Very easy to fix if it is just a loose belt however.

I have noticed that my A/C compressor makes a bit of noise at idle when I first start up with the A/C on. It is good practice to turn your A/C off when you shutdown and then turn it back on after you start of your engine each time to avoid that additional load on the starting motor.

By the way, I have noticed with my new Garmin ECOroute HD device my engine load changes quite a bit when at idle in nuetral vs when in drive, and now with the A/C compressor running it increases even more. It is definitely measurable and noticeable, which means you could impact your fuel economy by changing up a few driving habits.

#6 ·
By the way, I have noticed with my new Garmin ECOroute HD device my engine load changes quite a bit when at idle in nuetral vs when in drive, and now with the A/C compressor running it increases even more. It is definitely measurable and noticeable, which means you could impact your fuel economy by changing up a few driving habits.
Since the time you mentioned I am making it habit to shift to neutral if I feel stop is >10 secs. In few days I will know how much mileage difference I will see. From my engineering education I feel there is no harm in shifting to neutral so if it helps even a bit I dont mind doing it.

#7 ·
bimmerdiesel,

The lights here in South Florida are timed rather long, so if you catch a red you could be there for a good 2-3 minutes waiting to get your green again.

I'll time a few, and shoot some of the load and air flow data in Nuetral vs idle in drive, plus with and w/o A/C.

I'm sure this is one of the reasons that manual trannys always show lower mpg than automatics, usually by at least one mpg less.

Just remember you have to have foot on the brake to switch back into drive, which has caught me off gaurd a few times.

#10 ·
My d has been quiet so far, but I was having annoying belt squeal on my M Roadster. Ordered the parts, and this past weekend decided to install new belts and idler pulleys. Problem cured - the engine is purring now! Even though the tensioners keep the belts tight, when they wear, the rubber seems to get polished (possibly by contamination?) and become noisy. BTW all the bearings in the idlers were somewhat loose and noisy too. The car has 44k miles and after changing everything it felt like it had a new engine!

#11 ·
Only happened once with me, backing out of driveway. 9k miles.

#12 ·
I heard the same noise in similar situations(backing up after cold start). It happened 3-4 times in 9K miles. I had it checked last month during 1st oil change and dealer said everything looks good. I could live with it for few times a year but I do agree that it is an embarrassing noise coming from a 50K car.

#13 ·
I've had the belt squeal occur a few times over the last several months, but just within the last two or three weeks, it occurs several times per week. I need to take the car to the dealer and have it looked at.

I have had the car for over a year and have 21K miles on it.

#14 ·

Is that screeching noise from your tires or any other part of the vehicle? If its fan belt issue, then certainly it must be loosening of the belt or due to dirt or less grease. I don't think so it will cost much if its taken to a dealer.

#17 ·
Dealer could not reproduce, of course!;-) Recommended overnight stay to try replicate, but it happens very intermittently that I dont think it will be worth it. More of an embarrassment really on a ~$50K newish vehicle. Will see if it gets any worse over time.

#19 ·
I never have looked at the belt on this car. But just figured it is like most fords I have dealt with. On those you have one belt and an auto adjuster that has a pulley for lack of a better description. I actually never have had one of those go bad. Just every 100-150k miles I have to replace the belt. My mid 90s galant uses v belts and my old 2000 accord did as well, I was surprised to see that.

#20 ·
This has happened to me twice over the past few weeks. It is the first time I accelerate above 5-10 mph when the car has not been running and the a/c is on. I'm doing an oil change this weekend (third time @19,500 miles, doing every other myself during the 'free' period) and will take a good look. If it happns more frequently I will take it in.

#21 ·
My 2011 with 5500 miles has made the noise 5 or 6 times in the last 6-8 weeks. I've been able to narrow it down to only happening when it's at least 83 degrees (ambient air temp) and the car has been driven somewhere / sit for at least 30 mins before re-starting. I'll probably wait until it's consistently warm outside before taking it to the dealer.

#22 ·
there are squeals, then there are screeches. Squeals can be loose belts. Screaches presage failing pulleys. Failing pulleys are the bane of engines with serpentine belts, and quite the profit generator for the shops! If there is no automatic tensioner, then it is quite important to know the proper tension, and to have a gauge to then properly set the tension, otherwise the bearings fail prematurely.

#26 ·
Dropped the car off the dealer this morning for the belt and the soot on my bumper again. MPG's also seem to be down, but I am guessing it's that crappy Shell diesel I just filled up with.

On a side note, the VOB loaner program BLOWS! First, they tell me they do not have any BMW loaners, that I have to get a rental from Enterprise which is located in the same in buildnig (I understand, not a problem, right?) Well, I check in at Enterprise and there are approx 20 people in front of me waiting after they checked in. I had to wait for an hour and twenty mintues before they got me in a car. Mean while, as I am waiting, I see a guy pull up in a pre LCI e90 M3, check in with his SA and they place him in car right away and it's a BMW LOANER! I get a little annoyed at that, understandably, I mean hey I thought they were out of cars?! Next there is a guy that checked in with his SA (same SA as mine) and Enterprise a couple of people behind me,,, he waits a little while then goes to complain to the SA who comes and takes his ticket from Enterprise and proceeds to put him in a BMW LOANER! HEY WAIT A F%$KING MINUTE! The same SA told me not 40 min earlier he had no loaners!

I never experienced this kind of garbage at Lexus and what's up with all of the "sorry we don't have any loaners, but will put you in a chevy impala from Enterprise" then give away two loaners right in front you?! Do BMW dealers set aside loaners for M drivers or people who bitch? I can tell you I will not be as polite next time I go in for service!

#28 ·
Okay dealer called today and said they need to order all new AC belt pullies and a new belt. They searched the entire country and nobody as the parts (downside to having a rare car). They ordered them from Germany with an eta of 5-10 days. WIll need to drop the car back off with the dealer when they arrive. They said it shouldn't take more than a day.

I wonder what the deal is with the AC pullies and belt? I know I am not the first to have this problem.

#29 ·
FYI in some cases loaners are reserved at the time an appointment is made.

#32 ·
I did all of that and I got a loaner, but mind you after waiting an hour, they handed me the keys to a Chevy Impala.

Two guys, one of which checked in after me who just decided to complain about the wait for an Enterprise rental car got moved to the front of the line and put in a BMW loaner. Again this was after my SA (same SA that put this guy in a BMW loaner) said they didn't have any. :thumbdwn:

#35 ·
You should have complained and if didn't work made a scene. I would have demanded keys to their M3 test drive car. :mad:

Dealership I bought my car has a fleet of 70 loaners but usually a waiting list for about 10 days. No extra rentals. Good thing is they have a nice lounge with wifi, free water, bagels, cookies where I could work remotely with my laptop.

Going back to the original topic; My car made this annoying noise few more times since I posted. I noticed that it is when the car sits for few days and when I start the AC is ON. If it becomes a more regular thing then going back to the dealer.

#36 ·
You should have complained and if didn't work made a scene. I would have demanded keys to their M3 test drive car. :mad:

Dealership I bought my car has a fleet of 70 loaners but usually a waiting list for about 10 days. No extra rentals. Good thing is they have a nice lounge with wifi, free water, bagels, cookies where I could work remotely with my laptop.

Going back to the original topic; My car made this annoying noise few more times since I posted. I noticed that it is when the car sits for few days and when I start the AC is ON. If it becomes a more regular thing then going back to the dealer.
Hopefully there won't be a next time! :)

My car only did it at start up esp after it had been sitting for a couple of hours in the heat. In the mornings it would not do it. I am not sure what is didderent about the replacement pullies and belt then what was put in my car in Oct 2010. Hopefully it solves the issue for good.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.