BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

6 series new Idrive info

5K views 24 replies 8 participants last post by  southern6er22 
#1 ·
Got a call this AM from a out of state CA who I had spoken to previously on buying a 650i.
He advised me they have confirmed the new version of Idrive will be included in 6 series builds starting March '13. No word if the '14 will include a power trunk closer. He had a interesting take on the trunk question. When I complained that the 6er has been left without the power close feature, while being available on the 5 & 7 he mentioned that the 6 is the only model with the backup camera behind the roundel, which also functions as a trunk opener, which could make it more complex to add the closer - I don't know.

#2 ·
He had a interesting take on the trunk question. When I complained that the 6er has been left without the power close feature, while being available on the 5 & 7 he mentioned that the 6 is the only model with the backup camera behind the roundel, which also functions as a trunk opener, which could make it more complex to add the closer - I don't know.
That is interesting...

Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k Lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

Whatever the reason, BMW really screwed up on this one...

#6 ·
that is interesting...

Quick poll: Who would rather have a hidden, 007-esque backup camera at the cost of having to manually close the trunk? And who would rather our $100k cars have the same conveniences as a $30k lexus and live with the grotesque (i.e. Tiny and barely noticeable) camera found on the hideous 5er and 7er?

Whatever the reason, bmw really screwed up on this one...
+1

#3 ·
Are you going to order it or wait for the '14? I am thinking the '14 will probably have the full lcd instrument panel, it could also possibly have the idrive touch system instead of just the updated combo box. I think I saw somewhere that the '14 builds start in June or maybe July, either way it's not that far off.

#5 ·
Yeah, I'm not sure. The '14 is supposed to have the LED dash, and possibly the touch controller. ( And maybe even that elusive trunk closer) But if BMW offers the option credits again in the spring. the '13 will be a better deal. If I wait for the '14, the discounts drop again.

Also, I would like to take a look at the redone MB 550 coming in June - shown at the auto show this month. Real nice looking - upped the wheels to 19", LED headlights standard along with some new electronics. And their Twin turbo V8 is not too shabby, for about $64K

#4 ·
I think I'd wait for a '14 at this point (if I were in the market right now). As stated, it isn't that long between March and June-ish. There likely won't be any significant discounts (like end-of-the-year deals and incentives) between now and then. Idk if the new black panel, etc., will be on the '14, but it would prevent a possible '12 v. '13 disappointment and possibly help with resale.

#16 ·
I'm in the midst of a losing battle with the pollen right now. My car can barely make it 3 days right now. Weekly washes are getting old, but it's well worth it once complete.

#15 ·
I agree, there should have been at least a standard soft-close feature for the trunk latch (but I would prefer a fully motorized one). I have had the power up/down trunk on other cars and I definitely miss it on the GC where you have to slam the lid to get it to latch. This seems like a strange oversight by BMW considering that this car has everything else motorized including the side/rear sunshades and even the sunroof sunshade!

#20 ·
Amen - I feel EXACTLY the same

#25 ·
The coupe and convertible have different trunks, as discussed in a thread a while back. The convertible's will close once you get it going whereas the coupe requires a good, strong pull and pops back up if it doesn't latch properly. I assume the GC matches the coupe - although you'd think they would've fixed the problem for their new baby.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.