BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Need Engine oil recommendation

2K views 26 replies 10 participants last post by  mda185 
#1 ·
Hi.
I have a 1989 535i with 250k miles whats the best engine oil for it?
And what are my options

#6 ·
I haven't heard that one before. I guess it is up to you. If you like less protection and more frequent(every 3k mile) oil changes, then conventional is for you. From experience with my 284k engine there have been no leaks or burning oil. Make sure the oil drain plug gasket is replaced every oil change too.

#7 ·
This thread is beating a dead horse.

I'm not being bitter or anything, just that search button can be a newbies best friend. There are a bunch of threads to read through that discuss this topic.

Sent from Joe's Galaxy SIII via BimmerApp

#8 ·
This thread is beating a dead horse.

I'm not being bitter or anything, just that search button can be a newbies best friend. There are a bunch of threads to read through that discuss this topic.

Sent from Joe's Galaxy SIII via BimmerApp
There are also a plethora of opinions on dino vs synth :tsk:

#9 ·
That is the problem with some forum members. Not everyone can just browse all day for an answer. Not everyone has two cars. Not everyone has time. Some work full time, go to school full time, work a side job that they own, have young kids that they need to tend to, need sleep, etc. that there isn't enough time to "look it up" or "dig/research." Just saying. I don't need the help, but when one thinks they are superior because they have been in the "club" longer and only cares about themselves eh. Yeah, I have been fortunate enough for good help, but my 2 cents regardless. Whatever knowledge I have and gain I will share...even if it was said 100k times. Take care guys.

#11 · (Edited)
OK.... BUT, you also can not expect that others will volunteer their precious time to do your research right? It is not my problem that you have taken on more than you can handle. None of us are getting paid to help you so maybe a different attitude?

I don't mind answering time and again...

I use Mobil 1 0w-40 european formula in my 175k mile 535i all year round. It is BMW approved and $6.50/qt al Wal Mart. The vast majority of engine wear occurs at start up. The thinner the oil the more quickly you have oil flow. Mine is due for a change, it is down about 1/4 qt in the last 5000 miles. That is slightly more than the last four changes.

Oil is debatable all day long. I suggest the "bobistheoilguy" forums for oil discussions.;)

#14 ·
Hopefully you won't get that sour taste here. Heck, the most common response OP would have gotten on most forums is "RTFM". We don't like to respond that way around here. This is a great bunch of guys here. Just know that most of us work full time jobs too and we certainly are eager and willing to assist where we can, but the question of "what oil should I use" is probably the most frequently asked question and one that will get a wide variety of answers from people who are very passionate about their position.

Should have said this sooner .... Welcome to the Fest to both you and OP :thumbup:

#20 ·
Don't get the inside info., but E39 yes. I like the E60 and F10 as well. The E46, E92, E53, and E70 as well. Sorry about the coming off strong. My automotive professors tell jokes and laugh at BMW guys. Ie. what is the difference between a BMW and a porcupine? A: on a BMW all the pricks are on the inside. Pshh, what do I know? They are ford guys.

#25 ·
My dang Ford is giving me WAY more problems than my BMW ever has. They have similar milage ~176k, the BMW is 7 years older. I had a fauly door actuator, I disabled the locks since there were five to choose from, and I didn't fell like pulling all the panels. Then the "door ajar" light began to stay on meaning it is a rolling light show, interior lights come on below 10 mph and go off at 20 mph. The the rear wiper ceased functioning. I know what I need to do is pull the rear door apart. My Ford is a much bigger PIA to work on than my BMW, except it is easier to crawl under...

Hopefully time for this one to go to be replaced by a newer one with 1/3 the miles. I'll keep it a few years until it also becomes disposable at which time I intend to replace it with something else German;)

#21 ·
we're not attacking you. The E34 brotherhood is storong, just making a light joke.

I personally am gigantanormic F10 and F01 fan as well as anything older than 95. Nothing against E39 guys...

#22 ·
Yeah, my in laws have an E32 and (2)E34's. My brother went with an E39 after my E34 was totaled by a sorority girl rear-ending me :(. I got my E39 and stared working on it. I did my first big head gasket/head replacement on the E34 though. A Bmw is a Bmw and I love them all. Sorry if a bit on edge, I work with and around/go to school around many people who have adopted this ignorant statement: "Bmw stands for Break My Wallet." "What is the difference in a Bmw and a porcupine? A: In a Bmw all of the pricks are on the inside." "You don't want to work on those cars...they are too hard and you have to be a genius to fix them with all their crap." I have to listen to the stupid ford guys and their american this and that. I have done many things on my car, so it is not hard to swap out. Sometimes diagnosing the problem is a challenge, but big deal right? I said in class one day as an intro that I would ultimately like to become a Bmw tech and eventually go into engine performance and custom for German cars ie. more specifically Bmw's and everyone in the automotive class laughed lol. Glad to see others that have a passion for Bimmer's and as fanatical as I am about them. Clean slate?

#23 ·
Where I***8217;m concerned, The Reverend Monsignor is quite correct.

I cut my teeth in that forum.
Schooled, as it were, in the fine art of "Search", not to mention the volatility of an oil thread.
This place is right civil in comparison.

I will take this opportunity to express my pleasure with the new course of the forum.
All you "regular contributors" are the cream.
Having Andy as the new Enforcer was a genius move.
I don't really miss "Roberto the Bruise", although some of Sled's retorts were quite entertaining.
You could feel his BP going thru the roof.

Anyway, enough ravings from the Birdbrain.

Oh, BTW - DELO 400, OF COURSE!!!

Aloha

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.