BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tips on X3 28i acceleration hesitation from full stop?

16K views 47 replies 26 participants last post by  94now 
#1 ·
Picked up the 28i last week and I liked almost everything about this great car but with one exception.

After a few days' driving, I noticed there is quite a hesitation when accelerating from a full stop. Once the car is in motion, then the acceleration feels pretty responsive and handling is really nice.

It's our first BMW and I drive a 2011 Sienna AWD for most of time. It was quite surprising to me that even Sienna seems to be noticeably faster and smoother when starting from a full stop, considering the weight and size of a minivan.

In one situation I actually felt unsafe due to the hesitation. The car didn't move for about a second or two when I try to make a left turn in an intersection. There were cars heading towards me but the initial distance was quite comfortable for my usual driving with Sienna. And with the hesitation of X3, I was actually in a little panic and step really hard on the gas pedal to avoid a potential collision. And since then I was step on the gas pedal much harder and it often ends up with a less smooth start.

I understand that I am still new to the car and very likely not stepping the gas pedal in the right way. But it still surprises me a lot as I really expect a easy and fast start with a car built by BMW without much need to relearn how to step on the gas pedal.

So my fellow 28i owners, do you ever think it's an issue for you? And if you thought it was but not anymore, could you share some tips or thoughts here?

Thank you!

See less See more
#3 ·
This is a well known issue with all the newer auto transmissions across the BMW model line. Supposedly has to do with the programming which is optimized for fuel economy. Putting the tranny in sport does help, but it is an ongoing complaint from BMW drivers with the auto tranny. For more info, check out the long term blog on edmunds.com on the 528 in their fleet. Another reason to stick with the manual!

Sent from my Droid using Bimmer App

#10 ·
This is a well known issue with all the newer auto transmissions across the BMW model line. Supposedly has to do with the programming which is optimized for fuel economy. Putting the tranny in sport does help, but it is an ongoing complaint from BMW drivers with the auto tranny.
^This. +1.

Try using sport mode (push shifter to left from normal Drive). Newer cars don't always mean "better", as there is a greater push to meet fuel consumption standards via programming AT and throttle response behaviour.

#24 ·
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but as of next year BMW will no longer sell a manual transmission in ANY X vehicle. Also not available in a 7 series, or V8 equipped 5 series. You all know that the USA is the only country that has a manual in the M5, right (becasue we complained so much that we had to have it).

This is the beginning of the end of the manual. Each year it is available in fewer and fewer models, it's only a matter of time. The primary reasons for a manual such as better MPG, faster acceleration, quicker qear changes, all no longer exist. The DCT can change gears faster than you can blink. The only reason today for a manual is for driver engagement/involvement with the car.

And yes I have a manual tranmission equipped 3 series.

#5 ·
Interesting...

It's way too soon to say that the new X3 suffers transmission issues like the 2007-2010 X3s did. But every time I read one of these posts, it makes me glad I have a manual transmission. With an automatic, the transmission processor is trying to predict what you want. With a manual, you control what happens and you *know* what you want. It's not a matter of prediction.
As fuel economy becomes more of an issue, car manufacturers have created ever-more-complex algorithms to manage transmission response. That complexity is not a good thing in my opinion. Note, this isn't a bash on BMW, rather it's just a problem with modern cars.
My 2006 X3 manual and my 2006 Mini CooperS manual are a blast to drive, and I don't have transmission hesitation issues, unless *I* fumble the shift. But there's no one there to blame but me!
Let's face it, humans dislike unanticipated delays. For example, when your Windows PC is installing an update in the background, and your PC inexplicably slows down, you get annoyed. Same is true for flight delays, and we generally feel better when the pilot gets on the speaker and explains what's happening. I think it's the same thing with your automatic transmission. But if you had complete transparency about the pauses, then it's not so bad. That's why my occasionally stalling my X3 is better than a hidden, hard-to-predict hesitation from an automatic. Maybe it comes down to control?

-James
Seattle, WA

#7 ·
Thanks for the quick comments. I never drove manual trans but does think it's better than auto if in the hands of seasoned drivers.

However, I will be really pissed off if it's indeed due to auto transmission as we are talking about a 2011 car. I used to drive a 97 civic with auto trans and never had this kind of acceleration delay. The same for a 05 accord and 11 sienna.

#8 ·
Does your info center in the center of the cluster function fully or does it default to a battery charge percentage?
If so, the car is still in transport mode, which causes rough shifts and delayed toe-in. Ours was delivered to us with the transport mode in place. Needless today, i was initially less than impressed with the performance. Squared away in five minutes at the dealer.

#11 ·
andrew
It is the same issue with my new X3 35i as well. When I test drove a Audi Q5, I noticed the same thing, there was lack of acceleration from dead stop as in trying start from a red light. I am hoping as the engine gets broken down things will improve. I do notice some improvment after 1100 miles.

#14 ·
Guys. I don't know how one can achieve this, but u need to KEEP your foot slightly pressed on the accelerator. I know that cars equiped with turbos tend to first make sure that the driver is actually looking for grunt to turn on the turbos, instead of turning on and off every time u touch the accelerator.

#15 ·
I'm can't decide is I want the X3 because of that lag, but I thought the lag in only in 35i model, because of the turbo, and turbo requires the car moving to kick in.

Question for owners, in order for me to have those options "Normal, Sport and Sport +" I have to add Sport Activity Package or the M Package?
How does it drive in the Sport Mode, (lag wise), does it react momentarily when you press that gas pedal?

Also how is the gas consumption when in sport mode?

Thank you in advance.

#16 ·
Hello Bellorusha,

I was ready to accept the hesitation after reading many posts but the hesitation seems to be much improved after 2 months driving. Now after the full stop, I didn't really notice much the initial pause I mentioned in the original post. As many folks pointed out, it could be either I am more used to the car, or X3's adaptive transmission has learned my pattern, or car break in etc, :).

Much happier about the 28i now.

#18 ·
The world as enthusiasts know it started getting markedly worse when the cable leading directly from the gas pedal to the FI throttle body was eliminated in favor of a cable from the gas pedal to a microprocessor, which THEN relays commands to the throttle body/direct injector/valvetronic controller, etc.

There is a reason that the M3 maintained the direct link for so long after most or all the other B-Cars eliminated it.

Now with tranny controllers thrown into the mix, the story gets even more sad.

None of the so-called "Drive By Wire" systems are a friend to the enthusiast.

Question: If you drive the tranny in "manual" mode, and start out in 1, is the hesitation still present?

#21 ·
Correct me if I am wrong, but I feel like there isn't much of a hesitation from a complete stop as there is when you are slowing down and then accelerating. Example: if there is a red light and you are slowly approaching and then it turns green, there is definitely a lag from when you hit the gas...anyone else experience this issue?

#25 ·
the lag that everyone is feeling is across the board on all bmw's except the M's. Like many have posted it's for fuel efficiency, but don't fret b/c there is a fix for it. I have a 35i x5 and 09 328i and they were very delayed, but fixed with a pbx power box for the n/a motor and my n55 got the jb3 stage 1

For the ones that like to keep it stock they can just set it for throttle lag removal or you can tune it for more power as well. You can also get similar results with a sprint booster

http://www.n54tech.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=33

#26 ·
Dead start issues

Brand new X3 2011 28i & new to Bimmerfest forums.

Same issue at starts. In fact it cost me a ding on my rear bumper at a "short" (timing) turning red light when the car behind me saw my brake lights go off & assumed that I would move like other cars around me but the second or two of hesitation in getting the X3going made this driver scratch my rear bumper. The driver literally "fled" away in another direction to avoid getting involved in a minor accident.

I am used to start normally on corners and my wife just can't get used to getting jerked backward almost each time I get going after a red light or at a stop sign. It does not happen each time but still too often to fully enjoy the vehicle. Too bad... this is the only issue that I have with the X3. It is an absolute great vehicle to drive.

I will try to use the sport setting on the transmission and will investigate the pbx box with my dealer as well. Tks for the tips!

#27 ·
So BMW hasnt learned from its earlier mistakes. Sheesh. I don't think expecting a vehicle to move when you step on the gas is really too much to ask.

Since most of us can't see 2 seconds into the future and know that some jerk is about to ram us and we need to get out of the way this is not just an inconvenience.:eek:

Sorry to hear its starting all over again. Glad I held onto my 2008 MT as this would infuriate me beyond reason.:mad:

Good luck. Maybe in 2014 (I think they took three years to correct with the GM6) they'll get it squared away. Hopefully a lot sooner.:thumbup:

#40 ·
Software Model #?

Babbage
Do you know your software version number?
Your service slip should say it, or you can ask your SA.
It will help me to bug my SA to get the same software.
Thanks.

#29 ·
I also just had the BMW Sirius radio option installed and they updated the software and the take off hesitation is much better. They also said they reset the adaptive learning function to try to improve this, so I don't know which item made a difference.

#30 ·
I have NO Lag on my 550i M Sport, and little on the Loaner 2.0Diesel X3 with 7000 miles on it.
The transmission needs to learn Driving style including throttle input which can take some time. Press the accelerator further down on take-offs till it learns your style.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.