BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

One week report for first time BMW owener of 335i

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  kunal_D 
#1 ·
I have been living with my first BMW for a week now--2011 E90 335i Msport, BMW perf package, NAV, HK sound, Black Sapphire. This has been an upgrade from my 2005 3.5 Nissan Altima. It has been a dream to drive--feels just like a sports car on the inside--handling, steering, power and exhaust sound. Great features. I debated whether to go for an F30 but chose to save money and go for the previous model and glad I did. The steering is exactly what I was looking for--to get that feel from my sports car days. I find the interior to be nearly as modern as the newer model and prefer the screen to be integrated in the dash. I find the Idrive and electronic displays to be easy to use and love the Hard drive where I can save all my music right to the car.

Granted space in the back is a little tight but we don't go on long trips and my 4-year old fits fine. Trunk has been adequate so far and am trying to figure out a containment system so the bags of groceries don't fly everywhere when I am coming home after ripping around the off-ramp. Find myself re-bagging when I get home. These cars are hard to drive slow--you can feel that it likes to go. I only tested out the full throttle response a couple times and have yet to hear the tires chirp on a curve. I like spirited driving from time to time but do not care to wear my car out. What is nice is that smooth, confidant, half throttle acceleration onto the freeway.

Also debated on the color choice between jet black and BS. At first I did not like the BS because I thought it looked gray but after looking at cars that looked really nice and turned out to have BS went for that. So glad I did. The car looks deep black but at certain times of day in the sun at the right angle gets this complex shimmer that is really cool. Jet black is a little more glossy but I have no regrets on that. And the BS is hard like any black to keep clean--especially smudgy little fingerprints.

Yeah the cup holders got criticism from the wife but if that's the big negative compared to the positives then no big deal.

The HK sound is a definite plus--crappy sound system will wear you down over time.
After two days I did get the Low tire pressure signal--was a little bummed thinking two days in I already had tire problems. Called local dealer who was a few blocks away and they said come right in and well check it. Tire was fine but valve stem was leaking. Ten minute repair and all was good--Excellent experience at Peter Pan BMW.
So that is my story, hope it did not bore you-- I had asked for advice when I was shopping so if anyone is on the fence about anything like I was hope that helps in any way.

See less See more
#3 ·
Congrats! I've been in mine for a month now. My first BM and I love it. I should have gotten the M Sport package but hey I can't always up grade my bumper. Lets see some pics.

#5 ·
Congratulations and glad that you like the "new to you" car.

+1 on the color ... though any black car is NOT a color ... it's a RESPONSIBILITY!
I keep a California Car Duster in my trunk along with instant detailer and plenty of microfiber cloths. Easy on the pressure to minimize unsightly microscratches.

Drive on ... :roundel:

#9 ·
I have been living with my first BMW for a week now--2011 E90 335i Msport, BMW perf package, NAV, HK sound, Black Sapphire. This has been an upgrade from my 2005 3.5 Nissan Altima. It has been a dream to drive--feels just like a sports car on the inside--handling, steering, power and exhaust sound. Great features. I debated whether to go for an F30 but chose to save money and go for the previous model and glad I did. The steering is exactly what I was looking for--to get that feel from my sports car days. I find the interior to be nearly as modern as the newer model and prefer the screen to be integrated in the dash. I find the Idrive and electronic displays to be easy to use and love the Hard drive where I can save all my music right to the car.

Granted space in the back is a little tight but we don't go on long trips and my 4-year old fits fine. Trunk has been adequate so far and am trying to figure out a containment system so the bags of groceries don't fly everywhere when I am coming home after ripping around the off-ramp. Find myself re-bagging when I get home. These cars are hard to drive slow--you can feel that it likes to go. I only tested out the full throttle response a couple times and have yet to hear the tires chirp on a curve. I like spirited driving from time to time but do not care to wear my car out. What is nice is that smooth, confidant, half throttle acceleration onto the freeway.

Also debated on the color choice between jet black and BS. At first I did not like the BS because I thought it looked gray but after looking at cars that looked really nice and turned out to have BS went for that. So glad I did. The car looks deep black but at certain times of day in the sun at the right angle gets this complex shimmer that is really cool. Jet black is a little more glossy but I have no regrets on that. And the BS is hard like any black to keep clean--especially smudgy little fingerprints.

Yeah the cup holders got criticism from the wife but if that's the big negative compared to the positives then no big deal.

The HK sound is a definite plus--crappy sound system will wear you down over time.
After two days I did get the Low tire pressure signal--was a little bummed thinking two days in I already had tire problems. Called local dealer who was a few blocks away and they said come right in and well check it. Tire was fine but valve stem was leaking. Ten minute repair and all was good--Excellent experience at Peter Pan BMW.
So that is my story, hope it did not bore you-- I had asked for advice when I was shopping so if anyone is on the fence about anything like I was hope that helps in any way.
Congrats, that is a nice upgrade! :D I don't chirp my PSS tires often either, but when it happens more frequently, I usually suspect that I need to put more into the tires, something that I'm pretty decent about monitoring anyway. While not wearing out your car is a good thing, I bet not a few people think that driving it like you stole is actually good for the car, assuming that's it's been properly warmed up first. A whole bunch of cold starts and short drives is not so friendly for the car, but sometimes that's hard to avoid depending.

BS is more forgiving than JB because of the flake. JB is the most notorious BMW paint ever made according to detailers, and for some, it's the most notorious regardless of brand.

But to the grocery issue. If I'm carrying open containers and such to a party, or whatever types of groceries in there, I'll put them in a box, with my cargo net holding it down. (I realize that many members here may not have got one of those with their car.) If there's extra space in the box, I might fold up a towel to fill the slack, so that they don't bang around. You do need to be careful with liquids in general back there, because there are sensitive electronics located in the trunk that can be damaged by spills.

There are grocery hooks that are easy to install, and an old thread here had me buy the Audi/VW ones from ECS, because they are spring loaded. I put in two, however, I would either consider just one and/or have your multiple hooks closer to the center than I did. Because occasionally my bag will swing so wide it might knock something loose, I can't remember if it was the first aid bag, or oil bag, or ContiComfort kit, or whatever.

They might have the identical unit with many different model #s or something. Looks like they went up in price.
http://www.ecstuning.com/Audi-B8_A4-Quattro-2.0T/Interior/ES2070630/

I attached a pic, you can see how widely spaced they are.

Attachments

#11 ·
yeah, you have the cargo thing going which is easy--i had that in the Altima and put a bungee cord as well on the same hook as the cargo net and everything stayed nice and tight. So, in my 335 there are a couple hooks about a foot apart so I put a bungee cord there and a little box--mainly to make sure things like liquid type of containers stay put. It will be a work in progress.

#13 ·
You do need to be careful with liquids in general back there, because there are sensitive electronics located in the trunk that can be damaged by spills.

4+ this

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.