BimmerFest BMW Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
6M views 104K replies 316 participants last post by  tim330i 
#1 ·
There has been a bunch of OT threads lately, so i think we should try to keep it all the ot talk in one place. I know the e36 forum rocks, and all the other forums suck big time :bigpimp:, yet we need to stay on topic....

#73,164 · (Edited)
Yep, I know about grounding away from batteries on the dead car, I just wanted to make sure you can connect to the positive terminal under the hood on the live car and a chassis ground on the live car as well.

Basically, assuming 2 BMWs, both dead car AND live car are connected only to the positive terminals under the hood and a chassis ground, neither one to the batteries at all. Is that OK or is there something like a one way diode or anything between the battery and positive post that could get fried trying to jump a car FROM the pos terminal under the hood.
Sorry, missed the engine compartment connection part of the question! Nope, you're good! It's a direct cable between the convenience terminal in the engine compartment and the battery. Even if there was a blocking diode, you wouldn't fry anything, you just get a big nada as far as the jump.

When I've had to change out the battery in the E36 or the E46 I connect either a 12VDC power supply or a battery to the chassis ground and the convenience terminal. It keeps the 12 V bus live and you don't lose any settings like the radio code, seat position programming, etc.

#73,165 ·
I've got an earlier version of this one. It's only 2.5 ton, but the long reach and low profile come in really handy.
That will do fine. I opted for the aluminium version since I have to haul it from my basement to my detached garage (and i'm not chip). I've used it a few times and no problems. The market for <$100 is all cheap and chinese, but that'll be the best bang for your buck.

Note: mine came a little low on oil so I had to fill and bleed it.

#73,167 ·
Sorry, missed the engine compartment connection part of the question! Nope, you're good! It's a direct cable between the convenience terminal in the engine compartment and the battery. Even if there was a blocking diode, you wouldn't fry anything, you just get a big nada as far as the jump.

When I've had to change out the battery in the E36 or the E46 I connect either a 12VDC power supply or a battery to the chassis ground and the convenience terminal. It keeps the 12 V bus live and you don't lose any settings like the radio code, seat position programming, etc.
Perfect, thanks!

And feck, I just got a low coolant warning. I'm empty on the reservoir, no idea if it's boiling and venting through the cap, leaking from somewhere, or have big problems. Gaaaahhhhh.

Sent from my Galaxy Tab using BimmerApp

#73,169 ·
I really don't like the company Apple itself,

But the iPhone is easily the best phone I've ever owned. Simple to use but has a powerful inner system. My friends all use droids for the most part and they make good phones, but they don't have the ease of use the iPhone has. But I must say the 5 isn't that much of an improvement. I feel like after the 3GS you can't really get better. Sure, faster processors and bigger storage is nice, but it's like having a 800hp car and moving up to a 900. The jumps start to get less noticeable.

It would be nice to have unlimited data and not be stopped by the 5gig throttle thing, though.

#73,172 ·
#73,173 ·
#73,175 ·
So...I'm in line to park at my work garage. I look back in the rearview mirror, and here is a middle aged, handsome professional (in a nice car) picking his nose. And I mean really going at it.

Luckily for all of us....he was in a Lexus

:rofl:

#73,176 ·
So...I'm in line to park at my work garage. I look back in the rearview mirror, and here is a middle aged, handsome professional (in a nice car) picking his nose. And I mean really going at it.

I really just pictured everything you just said

:rofl: :rofl:

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Bimmer App

#73,177 ·
Some kids never grow up..... :rofl:

#73,178 ·

shoot you saw that?

and no one was supposed to know that I bought a lexus. Didn't want anyone to know I was cheating on BMW.

#73,179 ·
Question to the American truck guys here, does anyone know if the GMT400 'Burbs ever came with 2nd row bucket seats like the 800s had available? I haven't seen a single one with them yet.

#73,180 ·
You guys!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.