BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2001 E38 power steering problem

4K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  exred92 
#1 ·
ive had this 2001 740il for a while now, but the power steering has gown downhill. the problem started about 6 months ago. maybe once or twice a month upon startup the power steering seemed to not work. so i would shut the car off then immediately switch it back on and it would work normally. like i said, that happened maybe once or twice a month. however, the problem became worse a couple weeks ago. at first, it would work for about 10 seconds then become stiff. pretty annoying in parking lots. replaced the pump and the flow regulator valve. helped it a little bit but still kinda hard to steer. also makes a slight whining noise when turning the wheel (which takes 2 hands) even though i lubed the bearing under the car. this is so dam annoying and costing me a small fortune, do you guys have any idea how to tackle this? :bawling:

#2 ·
Well sorry to say but it's got nothing to do with replacement of your pump or valve,what you need is GM module which controls servotronic for power steering.Had exact same problem on my car, 2 choices you can buy a new GM from dealer and then coded to your car or can buy used one from e-bay and hope it will last and then code for your car. I installed used one on mine so far so good.
Good luck.
P.S. I see that you are from Chicago area there is a BMW get together in Naperville this sunday starts at 9:00 am

Date: Sunday May 6th
Time: 9:00am-11:00am

NE Corner of Rt. 59 & 95th St.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.