BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

x3 vs x4?

8K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  au1994 
#1 ·
looking at a new x3 but curious about the x4...its supposed to be based on the x3 body and options, etc...will most of the differences be cosmetic? is it supposed to have better handling? suspension more sport like? curious as to if anyone out there is in the same boat and waiting to see the x4 prior to purchasing a x3.

mostly would use it to have fun driving with but practical in the sense of road trips, carrying my bicycles around (i like the option of inside the x3 with the mounts especially for long road trips) and just overall winter sports.

thanks!

#2 ·
If it is anything like the X5 VS X6 the usability wise there is no comparison. I would guess it will have a little stiffer suspension and maybe bigger roll bars to make the handling a little more snappy but otherwise I would expect it to be similar driving to the X3.

Tim

#3 · (Edited)
I looked at and test drove the X1 and thought it drove ok, but was very underwhelmed with it's looks. The X3 looks nice but reminds me a bit of a Honda and I wanted something that was nice looking, but handled better than a standard SUV. I like the looks of the X4 and most all of they details sound good, but I need to test drive one, then I will decide between the X4 or a 328/335...

Not sure how you decide if it is ugly without seeing one, unless you have already made your mind up...

#4 ·
I just traded my 2014 X3 35i for a X4 28i. I enjoyed the X3 but I love driving the X4 even without getting the larger engine. The suspension is a little sportier making it fun to drive. There is a surprising amount of room in the hatchback and the seats fold down. I am thrilled with my X4.

#5 ·
The are similar in most ways..the only thing I see inside is that on the X4 The A/C controls are different and much nicer and the X4 doesn't get the panorama roof. The driving is very similar and not enough to talk about. My boss has an M-Sport X3 which I drive often and my spouse has an M-Sport X4 and there is really no difference at all in handling. I think the looks is the only difference big enough to consider.

#6 ·
I went to my dealer Saturday with the intention of looking at an X3. There was an X4 sitting right next to the X3 and I was hooked. It is a very polarizing design but I really liked it. Driving position is perfect, handling is really good for a CUV/SAV. The one I drove was optioned up pretty nicely so it was super feature rich. I drove a 28i and thought it had plenty of power. Noticeably different from the 335i but I would be satisfied. I think the decision is made as soon as I hit pull ahead territory on my current lease. Yes, I am the kind of customer BMW loves. My CA even told me so Saturday :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.