BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

2011 X5 35d Deals? Any luck?

12K views 50 replies 27 participants last post by  ctng 
#1 ·
Anyone had any success on decent price on a 2011 X5 35d order? Slots are currently a bit limited so it feels like dealers are overly optimistic about how they will sell...have gotten a few guys to consider a minor discount, but the mantra seems to be "MSRP less Eco Credit".

Also - very interested to hear any recommendations for X5 dealers in the Bay Area....

#2 ·
Bay Area dealers just suck.

Call Jason Burger, internet sales, at East bay...if his sales manager is in a good mood he might snag a deal at 1k over 'cost'. Then try roseville and Chico. Niello are dicks.

#5 ·
Most dealers hate to give a big discount on a new model year with a style freshening, as they see it as the one time they might be able to get a high profit margin due to higher demand. Keep trying dealers until you find one desperate for sales, or wait until May... if they find they cannot get that high margin on the freshened model, they will lower their profit expectations and be ready to deal.

#9 ·
I simply negotiate on number:

DEALER PROFIT

Nothing else matters...

Forget msrp, or Eco, or invoice.... "I want to by xyz, and I can give you $1xxx profit.

It is the ONLY number they care about anyway...

A

#10 ·
Dealers will probably be less accommodating on ordered cars vs. ones on the lot. Wait a few months until the cars start to arrive and then look for deals.

If you don't want to wait, I'd highly recommend Danny Andrade at BMW of Concord. Good luck.

#11 ·
Thanks to everyone for the responses - I'm going to continue the hunt and will let everyone know how it goes.

As to ordering vs buying off the lot, it makes sense to me that I should be able to get a better price on a 2010 that is sitting on the lot, but it doesn't really make sense for a dealer to not be accommodating on an order. What could possibly be an easier transaction than ordering a car exactly how someone wants it and not having to inventory or insure it etc? It's just a brokered trade and they should be willing to work for the smallest profit on an order vs a sale of inventory (until that inventory starts falling in value...ie old or unwanted models).

That being said, I think what people have said above is right, that these are new models with a "refreshening" and until they start showing up, dealers are going to feel like they can hold out for full value.

Ultimately that will just mean I'll wait if I can't find someone willing to broker a reasonable deal....

#12 ·
x5bayarea20, how opposed are you at looking for a dealer/CA outside of the bay area? Reason I ask is that I'm taking delivery from Nick Alexander BMW in the LA area around June when I come to San Diego. I'm tying the delivery to a conference/vacation that I have to attend in San Diego. You should check out Will Shaw, the dealership's internet sales manager. He came highly recommended on these forums, and I got a very attractive deal from him for a 2011 x5 50i that I couldn't get closer to home (I saved enough that dealing with him so far away made it worthwhile). I realize the 35ds are in high demand, but you should give him a call, now that the 2011 pricing/residuals are out.

#17 ·
Shrini - thanks for the referral :)

Arjuno - I'm not opposed to it at all. Thanks for the heads up, I will try him. Much appreciated.
Scott - thanks for your order - I truly appreciate it :thumbup:

Has anyone had any luck with dealers outside of California? I'm in Texas and I'm getting the MSRP party line from our dealer here too. I'd like to get a 2011 X5 35d, but paying retail just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The only thing you have to pay retail for now is groceries and anything from Nintendo. Until Nintendo or the grocery store starts selling BMWs, it would make me feel bad to pay retail. I don't want to feel bad about my new baby before I even get it!

Barb
2003 X5 3.0i
Just talked to you on our IM service - hopefully we can put your order together as well!

Thanks for your time Barbara :thumbup:

#14 ·
I ordered a 2011 50i from Philippe Kahn at South Bay BMW, highly recommended on this forum. Straight up numbers and very easy to deal with.

I don***8217;t want to waste my time with dealers around the Bay Area any more***8230;too many hidden fees (mark up on MF, MACO), not familiar with MSD (or just don***8217;t***8217; want to deal with it?), and think car should sell at MSRP.

#15 ·
How about outside CA?

Has anyone had any luck with dealers outside of California? I'm in Texas and I'm getting the MSRP party line from our dealer here too. I'd like to get a 2011 X5 35d, but paying retail just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. The only thing you have to pay retail for now is groceries and anything from Nintendo. Until Nintendo or the grocery store starts selling BMWs, it would make me feel bad to pay retail. I don't want to feel bad about my new baby before I even get it!

Barb
2003 X5 3.0i

#16 ·

Barb
2003 X5 3.0i
Well, options are:

(1) Wait a few months... they'll probably be more willing to deal around Memorial day,

(2) Try a buying service, such as Costco, AAA, or similar. Sometimes the local dealers will do better prices due to agreements they have with these places,

(3) Search the internet and buy it from a dealer somewhere else, realizing the local dealers may giver preference for warranty service to those who bought from them. Dealers farther away know a sale to you is an incremental sale, and often are willing to settle for lower profits.

If you absolutely want to work with a particular local dealer, find a sales person, have them invest some time in you trying to sell you an X5 (sort of the reverse of how they try to get potential buyers to invest time with them), then just explain to them you are willing to do a deal for $X over invoice. Be nice and tell them that you understand with a new model year coming out they may want more profit, but that you really just want to do a deal for $X dollars. Give them your phone number and tell them that when market conditions change such that they are willing to make a deal for that amount of profit to give you a call, as you will buy an X5 from them then if you haven't already bought one from another dealer. Someday the salesperson may be hungry and give you a call.

#18 ·
Will Shaw at Nick Alexander just cut me a very fair deal in my opinion - particulalry considering how unreasonable EVERY dealer in the Bay Area was.

I appreciate everyone's feedback.....and I agree with the consensus opinion that Bay Area dealers suck! I will be sure to report on my experience here with timing/pick up etc.

Looking forward to breaking in my X5 35D on the drive from LA to SF!

#19 ·
Man, Will's got the right idea. Looks like three sales that came to him from here! Barb, I have a 35i on order from our local dealer for $1500 over invoice, but this will be my 3rd car I've bought or leased from them, and I give their Service and Sales Departments the highest CSI scores every time.

#23 ·
:thumbup:

#20 ·
Looks like I've got the best deal: just signed the papers for a 2011 35i Sport, $500 over invoice. NYC dealer, my first car with them was a x3.

#21 ·
Good deal. But look-out for junk fees. The only "legitimate" fees, IMHO, are MACO, Training, and some reasonable documentation fee. MACO and Training are included in the invoice the dealer gets, but typically are not shown in the invoice price the internet sources show (the MACO fee can vary from area to area).

#28 ·
For the Orange County area, Stearling BMW has the COSTCO contract and from what I remember, for the 2010, they are $950 over invoice (see no reason why the 2011 should be any different, but have not checked). However, this deal does not extend to the diesels. If you make reference to this, most adjacent dealers would go with this number.

#34 ·
First, forget CA or NY for deals! :) You need to go where there is a lower density of affluence.

New cars are totally simple: You are buying a know item, it is the same exact car that is made and shipped- be it to your local dealer or the dealer 200 miles away.

Just communicate with the selling dealer, get all the paperwork up front, likely have a cashiers check in hand. Drive a few hours with wife, and then argue about who gets to drive the new car home!

Just do everything you would do with a local dealer. Never have the car shipped to you sight unseen, new or used...just asking for trouble and in this case no need really... there isn't enough savings in new deals to cover the shipping costs

#35 ·
Thank you for your reply.
I am actually ordering a new 2011 X5 so the dealer dose not have it on his lot.
I am thinking about PCD for a pick up location. Local dealers in Texas want MSRP!! so since I am planning on PCD then I am thinking about outsourcing my business out of the state. The question is: Is it doable and safe or not? if yes then how to do it ?

Maher,

#36 ·
Thank you for your reply.
I am actually ordering a new 2011 X5 so the dealer dose not have it on his lot.
I am thinking about PCD for a pick up location. Local dealers in Texas want MSRP!! so since I am planning on PCD then I am thinking about outsourcing my business out of the state. The question is: Is it doable and safe or not? if yes then how to do it ?

Maher,
Of course, doable and safe. Perfect actually.

How could it be "not safe"???? I mean unless someone sets up a fake BMW dealership and scams you from the beginning!

This deal could be done without ever seeing a salesman. Talk on the phone, haggle a bit (all you should negotiate is 'dealer profit'- thats it. Just how much he will make over total cost.... so much simpler)- he emails the order page, you approve it, he sends an agreement- you sign it and fax it back, give him a 500-1000 deposit. When the order is getting close he fedexs you the documents to sign, you send them back, wire transfer or send a cashiers check... go to PCD, inspect, drive home.

I'd consider contacting some of the dealers/salesmen on this site in Ask a Dealer (IN PM ONLY!!!! No public negotiations- poor form, IMHO)..... they do european delivery, can do PCD the same I would think.

Easy Peasy

A

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.