BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Looking to buy a 2011 X5 35d

6K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  Malibu Bimmer 
#1 · (Edited)
My second post - I just joined though I have been reading posts on here for a while. I apologize for starting a new thread, but would appreciate some buying advice. This will be my first BMW.

1. Anyone from Houston area, if they can provide me a recommendation for a decent salesperson they are very happy with - I'd really appreciate it. (I qualified the term "decent" below). I saw good feedback about a salesperson at BMW of Beaumont (Sebastian O) - but I understand that this dealership is part of the "Group 1 Automotive", which owns the advantage BMWs in Houston - who are not highly regarded by people here.

2. I am still confused over "true invoice price". I am seeing on this forum a few things like "advertising fee", "MACO", "training fee". Are these the same/different ? How much should I expect for these?

3. I understand Edmunds' invoice price does not include the above fee. So when I see people post "$1500 over invoice", does that include these fees?

Thanks

----------------------
*Decent salesperson - It is not about the price, but more about being upfront with information. I contacted BMW Houston North - a specific person recommended by my credit union. Following are some things I was not impressed with about my interaction (most through email, btw).

a. Told me that he had the car I wanted at a dealership in Florida - turns out that it was a 2010 (after I filled out a request for 2011) - perhaps he missed it?

b. Told me that the 2010 is a better deal as it is unclear if eco credit will apply to 2011 X5 35d. Now the red light starts flashing in my mind. This is contrary to what I read on here.

c. Keeping polite, I pointed out the posts on this forum showing that eco credit still applies (if ordered before Apr 30th and delivery before June 30th).

d. After that he mentions that he will order a 2011 for me, but not available in Vermilion Red (my first choice). How about deep sea blue (oyster Nevada interior). I said that will work. I am not picky about color.

e. He said he is going to order it for me. A day+ later (after sending a reminder), he responds with an order number he says I can use to track the build at BMW website.

f. Well, what about price ? , I ask. His response was that 2011 pricing was not out yet. I sent him a copy of the 2011 BMW pricing sheet I downloaded from the Xbimmer forum (they apparently have not been contacted by BMW legal yet).

g. He asks for my FAX, so that he can send me the MSRP. After a call to the credit union, he agrees to send them the best pricing - MSRP (minus the eco credit).

h. I send a polite email asking to be reasonable and his response was: okay MSRP-eco credit-2.5% of BMW markup. BMW markup according to him is 6% above invoice.

i. I am done dealing with this guy - as I am sure I will have to deal with more nonsense (like dealer fee, documentation etc.).

See less See more
#2 ·
a. Told me that he had the car I wanted at a dealership in Florida - turns out that it was a 2010 (after I filled out a request for 2011) - perhaps he missed it?
You are in Houston, why the hell is he looking at Florida? There's only one BMW dealer in all of Texas? Very fishy.

b. Told me that the 2010 is a better deal as it is unclear if eco credit will apply to 2011 X5 35d. Now the red light starts flashing in my mind. This is contrary to what I read on here.
2010 will be a better deal since the 2011's are rolling out as we speak. Credit still applies.

f. Well, what about price ? , I ask. His response was that 2011 pricing was not out yet. I sent him a copy of the 2011 BMW pricing sheet I downloaded from the Xbimmer forum (they apparently have not been contacted by BMW legal yet).
How does he place an order if the price has not even been determined? Normally you are required to put a deposit before anything gets done. He's either lying to you or he needs to be fired on the spot since he hasn't got a clue.

Deal with another sales person or go to another dealer. I found that most of the time even in the same dealership one sales person is so much more knowledgeable or clueless about the products they are trying to sell than the others. Go figure, talk to the human resources genius.

#5 ·
The term "invoice plus $X" generally means the dealer makes X in pure "profit" on the deal.

So if they pay BMW $50,000 for the car, and they pay a $350 local MACO fee, and they pay BMW $825 delivery, and there is an ECO credit of $4500, then the "true cost" is 50k+350+825-4500=46675

The dealer is paying 46,675 (if I did the math right)... so you offer $1500 over, or whatever.

Recognize that the junk fees they toss on at finance- title, dmv, etc- are justified..since these are DMV fees. But the other stuff, document fee, processing fee, etc, are just that- junk

GL

A

#6 ·
I just ordered a 2011 X5d. There is an accurate dealer invoice price sheet posted in another thread titled "X5 35s invoice pricing" I quoted the post below but the attached PDF is not shown. Your dealer s/b able to show you their invoice cost when you build the vehicle, subtract the $4500 Eco credit to get their cost. The "training" and other fees are legiitimate costs to them. I paid $2K (could have paid less if I shopped, but I wanted to buy from my local guy) over cost so my $67K plus sticker price ended up running me 59K or so.

Found elsewhere in my travels, but it describes wholesale and not retail prices.

#7 ·
I've got about 5 X5's on order from this forum right now - I'm pricing quick and fair. I've got plenty of production - hit me up! :thumbup:

#8 ·
:thumbup:

The deed is done. Now I have a X5 XDrive 35D on order. Thanks for all the feedback. This forum is a wonderful resource. I went with BMW of Beaumont (Sebastian Olszewski) - my apologies for getting his name wrong above. He turned out to be a gentleman and gave me a fair deal. I asked for a "straight up deal" was provided one that I found no need to negotiate/haggle upon. I left a $1,000 deposit and look forward to picking it up.

I do not know what the protocol is, I did not see anyone post final prices here - so I'll refrain from doing the same, but anyone in Houston not getting a good deal, should certainly give this gentleman at BMW Beaumont a try.

AV

#9 ·
Things seem to be moving ...

Well, I can now see my vehicle show up on the track your BMW page. When I checked earlier, it was showing a different color combo - but when I checked just now it is correct - Deep Sea Blue/Oyster, just as I ordered.

:)

Attachments

#10 ·
Well, I can now see my vehicle show up on the track your BMW page. When I checked earlier, it was showing a different color combo - but when I checked just now it is correct - Deep Sea Blue/Oyster, just as I ordered.

:)
The vehicle characteristics you see listed when tracking your car will keep changing back and forth. Don't be alarmed. The tracking system is notorious for "recurring inaccuracies". At the end, you'll get the car you ordered, no matter what the tracking system says about it's color combo, options, etc. Congrats!

#14 ·
I could put your order in right now, give you a production number, and send you to the Performance Center to pick it up :thumbup:

With no production number, it probably won't be built in April!

#15 · (Edited)
I dealt with Nick Alexander BMW when I lived in Los Angeles, they had decent pricing. I ended up buying my 2008 535i from Center BMW in Sherman Oaks, CA at $500 over invoice because a client was friends with the owner, and I lived in Sheman Oaks at the time. Will Shaw will probably give you a good deal if you call Nick Alexander BMW.

After much deliberation, I just ordered my 2011 X5 35d from Wagner BMW in Shrewsbury, MA at $500 over invoice. I am also getting the $4500 eco credit on top of that. Brian Cho was happy to go over dealer pricing with me (I already had a dealer price sheet, but he didn't know that) and there was no bargaining/haggling needed.
Brian Cho is the manager, you can call him at (508) 925-2270 direct or bcho@wagnermotors.com
If you call/email him, please tell him Rob Carlson referred you - I was so happy with my sales experience I want him knowing I am sending people his way. Good service should be rewarded. One friend and two cousins have all bought from him now, and are equally happy.
PS - I found him after shopping EVERY SINGLE dealer in the Boston area. He was the only guy to make me a deal so good over the phone that I had to go see him!

#17 ·
Larger wheels, nicer leather steering wheel, etc. Aesthetics are important to me when buying a car with an MSRP of over $70k, although I suppose it is really a matter of opinion.
At the end of the day, I ended up adding lots of options - I decided if I can going to spend over $50k on a car, it better come exactly the way I want it! I cannot imagine being happy with one off the dealer lot!

#20 ·
No, sports package does not automaticlly come with AD, I forgeot the number but its an over $1500 stand along option.

#23 ·
0428 I know it doesn't come with it, my response was to the price difference. M Sport includes it as part of the package, and what my point was that if you want to truly compare you have to include the adaptive drive with the Sport Package (ZAP) which brings the price within 700ish dollars of the M Sport. Sorry to derail the thread since we talking about a package that's not allowable for the 35d.

#24 ·
Added Adaptive drive, but no sports pkg - I am still not convinced that it adds much (all IMHO, of course). I read as much as i can about the adaptive drive - watched the BMW video on how it works (on you tube). Hopefully, I made the right decision with adaptive drive.

I came across DPC (Dynamic Performance Control) for the X6 during my research. What is the difference? Or do they complement each other?

#25 ·
^^ Good move. I have AD and sport, but only got the sport cause my wife wanted the window trim. Seriously.

A

#26 ·
Sorry to keep this thread moving. I couldn't resist. I was told by CA that vehicle has gone into production, got the VIN too. Called 1-800 number and the automated system provided a completion date of 04/20. As per CA car should be at dealership by end of month. The BMW website "track vehicle" seems to be updating in sync too - though with a lot less information.

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
Everyone I talk to tells me I am crazy, that no one else's car is being built. Can someone give me a production number so i can basically them they are lying to me?
I ordered the car under the premise that I would have it in April. I cannot wait much longer. It would be one thing if we were all waiting. but for me to think I am getting an early allocation, and then have no production date at all, which other people are getting close to completion - not cool.
Thanks for all the info, I am going to follow up with BMW and my CA and find out why I am being given a story.

#28 ·
Production number 7556050, car started production yesterday, scheduled for completion 4/20. Got this info by talking with BMW representative at that 1-800 number. I was initially going to delay production until May for June pick-up (June being the only time I can get the car), but CA advised against it, and with the delay in the EPA/CARB, I'm glad I didn't. Looks like the car will be getting to dealership close to the time I can pick it up.

#30 ·
I'd work on a back up deal with another dealer too...

#34 ·
great. 9600 miles on it, of which I've done perhaps 300....

Good luck with your CA. Not sure where the 'disconnect' is-

A

#32 ·
Production number 7554823 here. I don't think the numbers are in order - this is a hunch. Mine went into production only today - at least up until yesterday it was still showing "Scheduled for production". As to Weston Bimmer's post above about "no one else's car is being built", see here for story about 2011s rolling ("flowing" is the word used in the article) out of the assembly line - starting Mar 22nd. and we have already established how to identify the 2011 design (on another thread). So somebody's 2011 is being built. :)

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/03/26/2011-bmw-x5-comes-on-line-in-spartanburg-sc/

#33 ·
Yeah, I agree. Probably not in order. Although, I hear they build 300+ per day. If you are maybe 540 cars ahead of me, then maybe I will go into production in two more days?
(7555363 - 7554823 = 540...) Just a thought.

I'm going to suck it up, rent a truck to trailer my 944 Turbo to the May 2/3 races, and then wait to see my car in a few weeks, I guess. not much I can do.

I better not see one of you guys driving through town in a 2011 or I will cry....

#35 ·
The numbers are allocation spots for each dealership, like for example Weston your dealer probably had 10-20 numbers (7555360-7555380) and mine had (7556050-7556070) for the month of April. Even though I'm 700ish units behind, mine started before you probably because I ordered my car in early February.

On Xoutpost there is a similar thread and some production numbers that are 1k units behind mine are already finished and being shipped to Oxnard VPC, CA due to arrive 4/28. Others are sitting in SC.

Weston, I wouldn't worry too much man, if you trust your CA and if he said that he used his April allocation for your X5, then just be patient a little while longer.

#36 ·
I have wanted one of these since last fall, and for a number of reasons I cancelled my 2010 order, which also took forever.
The people I've worked with have been as forthcoming as possible, gave me a great deal, and have been in constant contact - I am just a pain when I get impatient.
You're right - I'm going to settle down and just try to be patient. It will be ready before I know it, and I will have to find something else to obsess over :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.