BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Tesla Model S - My first experience with a fully electric car

35K views 181 replies 55 participants last post by  darrylmassan 
#1 · (Edited)
I test drove a Tesla Model S today. I've driven hybrids before, but this was my first drive in a full electric car.

I came away extremely impressed. The car struck me as the greatest automotive innovation since the Model T. It is special on so many dimensions that it feels very different to everything else in the luxury car market. In fact, it makes me wonder whether Toyota and BMW have been asleep at the wheel, that a startup was first to market with a product like this.

These are the things that impressed me:

1) Drive's really well. The driving sensation is very unique. It has some of the characteristic of a hybrid with the instant throttle response, but it feels completely different because you have that response at any speed, and it is all electric so it is very linear. It is hard to describe what makes the driving experience - adjectives like good handling, low cog, instant throttle response, only touch the iceberg. However you articulate it, the combination of these qualities is extremely unique. In fact I liked it so much, I think cars like the F10 535i and 550i, Lexus GS350, Audi A6, E550 are all rendered obsolete by the Tesla Model S. Unless you do drives above 300 miles in one go, this is a better product.

2) I love the motor. I drive an M5 so I'm good at handling large amounts of torque. But I nearly lost control of the car going full throttle while exciting a curved on-ramp. The response is very striking. The M5 is definitely faster, the rate of acceleration in the Model S felt more like my Dinan 550i, however the instant electric response is very gratifying and much more exciting than what you would see in a 550i Dinan Stage 2.

3) BTW this was the car weith the large battery and 300 mile range. Now in a V8 300 miles will cost you about $70 in petrol. In this car it is $10 for a full charge. That is a massive efficiency!

4) The integration of tech into the car is the best I have ever seen. The massive touch screen is really bright - much brighter than what we have. I was amazed how intuitive it was to control eveyrthing through a computer. But what is most impressive is how they use this to add features all the time. The Motortrend review called out the lack of memory seats. Now the car has them via software update. It can store 12 driver profiles. The sales guy told me that a customer once said it would be a good idea to have the sunroof open using the options on the steering thumbwheel. he sent it in. Obviously others must have suggested it too, and a month later it was rolled out via software update. That impresses me because it tells me that you are getting a product which embeds continuous improvement.

5) There are some key omissions - HUD, parking sensors, top-view cameras, center console were the first things to come to mind. They are going to add a center console as an option.

6) Some nice touches too - I love the giant sunroof, I love the 7 passenger seating which I thought was quite creative. The giant wheels are really nice. I hate the cheapo Mercedes switchgear.

7) Very interesting retail experience. The store was factory owned. The guy was extremely knowledgeable but also very customer centric. He honed in on what I was interested in. No attempt to make a sale, I asked him if I could order one after the drive. All electronic order taking - very quick. Also the car can be delivered to any Tesla dealership in the country for no additional charge - obviously not an issue since they are mostly corporate owned. Their service centers are separate from their retail locations - but the one they have down here is top notch.

I put down 2 deposits - one for the Model S and one for the Model X. I don't think I will keep both cars, but I am planning to replace our Lexus GS460 with a Model S. And if resale remains as strong as it is now (used ones have been selling around $140k), I may flip the Model S after 6-9 months when our Model X arrives. It pays to be on the waitlist. BTW My production number for the Model S is 16,XXX and for the Model X it is 2,0XX. These cars are clearly flying off the production line.

See less See more
#98 ·
You guys are bananas. :p

I test drove the Model S. Similar opinions as the OP. Would love one as my second car. But could never own one if it was my only vehicle. And that decision has nothing to do with the range either, since Tesla is building an impressive Supercharging network. It has solely to do with the fact that there's no sound. I drove the Model S Performance model and it actually felt slow. I knew I was doing 0-60 in 4 seconds so I wondered why it felt that way. The conclusion I came to: no engine soundtrack. It completely took away the immersive driving experience for me. I like hearing the engine roar as I punch the throttle, not hear crickets. It's only one issue that I have with the Model S, but it's enough to make me never own one as my only car.

I love the heck out of what Musk is doing with Tesla though and I'm definitely not a hater.

#5 · (Edited)
No. There is a 9 month waitlist. There is no negotiation.

wdimagineer said:
LOL. You too!? I take delivery of my Model S Signature Performance in March. Whether I keep the M5 is still up in the air.
What can I say - you and I have very similar tastes when it comes to cars! I was inspired by your post where you said everyone should experience one.

But it won't be replacing my M5, it will be replacing my Lexus GS460. We were looking at the 535iGT and the A7 as possible replacements, but the Tesla trumps both. The M5 handles, performs, and delivers an experience on a completely other level. I don't think there is anything that substitutes an M5 out right now, but I'm sure in 5 years electric cars will compete in the supercar segment.

#6 ·
I wanted to get one. The only problem for me was that there is no lease on it.

And another concern was that charge times from standard chargers are just enormous. Like 16+ hours. So, you really need to get your route along their fast charge stations (where "fast" means half of full charge in 1 hour - compare it with typical ~5minutes to fill full tank of gas).

#7 ·
I think of it as a car you can only refuel at home. It has a range comparable with most V8s and unless you are going on an out of town road trip, you don't need to fill up more than once a day with your V8. My V8s typically use a tank every 2 weeks. So it fits our usage pattern well.

If I have a round trip that is more than 300 miles, I would just take another car.

However they did tell me that Tesla are setting up free charging stations at rest areas, and these will provide an 80% charge in 40 minutes.

#8 ·
I would lease this car in a heartbeat, and I haven't even driven it. It looks amazing. I can't just bring myself to consider buying it knowing that the resale might be zero because of the battery pack issue.

#9 ·
It has a four year 50,000 mile warranty, and you can extend that to 8 years and 100,000 miles for $2500.

These concerns to me are analogous to concerns about BMW turbo engines failing. It's a risk for long term resale, but not short term.

#12 ·
Wow... cool ride. Seen it once on-line, then forgot about it and now seeing it again - I'm thinking... why is there so little talk about this car?? (the oil industry doing its best to make sure the word does not get out?) It seems rather affordable for such a rocket and fully electric.

But as with all things that just sound too good to be true, the savings in gas are immediately wiped out by the 8-yr cycle of replacing the batteries ($10k). So that argument does not hold any water. No savings, period.

BUT, it must be one heck of a cool driving experience. I'd definitely consider it as it looks nice and sounds like a really fast, well made machine - but it'd have to have an armrest for me LOL (I know you said it's coming).

And it'd be a commuter only. No way people are going to stop at rest areas for such a long charge. Not to mention if these things ever got popular, what about waiting for another dude to finish his charge? Forget it. It's for charging at home only. All other options are pure spin.

So considering those few things... hmm... maybe there's a reason why there's so little talk. And people who can afford one are - once agian - most liekly the ones least interested in gas savings. Heck, people buying $40k rides often tell me cost of the gas is irrelevant to them (one dude with a Pontiac G8 6l V8 which generates only a bit more power than our twice smaller 535i, for example).

#14 ·
Tesla clearly has a great product with the Model S. I had followed the car's development through their location in Houston. I have several concerns, however. First is warranty work. They have not explained to me how warranty work such as repairs to computer parts or trim materials for example will be handled. Second, and perhaps most important, is the financial stability of Tesla. They lost $154M in 2010 and $254M in 2011. Granted, the Model S wasn't for sale in 2011 but I will be interested to see the 2012 financials. I'm not sure about spending $70+k on a car with a company that can easily go bankrupt. That said, I think they have the best and most innovative product on the market. If their quality is up to standard, they will give BMW and Mercedes strong competition in the luxury sport sedan market.

#15 · (Edited)
It's a car for someone very wealthy who can afford another nice car if they want to actually go somewhere in the car. No way can I justify paying BMW 550 price for a car that is effectively a commuter car. Who knows the future of Tesla. If it weren't for government subsidies the company would not exist. To me, paying the cost of entry for this car would be no different than investing the same amount of money in a start up company. Be prepared to take a huge loss on your investment. If Tesla goes under you'll have a very nice museum price. This is not to rain on anyone's parade who buys one. The people who buy it likely understand and can afford the risks involved.

BTW, they will not give anyone a run for their money anytime soon. Its one thing to sell a very limited number of novelty cars - no matter how good they are. But the market as it is today is extremely limited for the car. I get that there are long term issues that can change the landscape for this type of car, but not quickly. We also don't know the downsides if/when electric cars sell in the millions a year.

#17 ·
I remember when the same things you're saying about Tesla were being said about Apple, and we know the rest of the story there. I've always pulled for the underdog, so I see a success story in the making with Tesla. As for Tesla buyers, I think they are savvy car enthusiasts rather than wealthy toy-buyers. Anyway, I'm going to be purchasing some Tesla stock!

#19 ·
I'm going to try to hit a number of the comments here, so please forgive me if it seems I'm rambling.

Tesla is a small startup company that just won Motor Trends car of the year award. As much as the larger car companies would love to keep them out of the press, they are getting lots of publicity. As a small, innovative company, they are relying on wealthy first-adopters and government loan programs to fund the technology necessary to bring these types of vehicles to the mainstream masses. I believe their plan is a $30k car in 2016.

The batteries are just like the ones in your cell phone or laptop, except with a huge system for maintaining temperature and charging integrity. As with all lithium-ion batteries, you can charge them up to half power in just a few minutes. A full charge takes much longer. The last 10% usually takes as long as the first 90%. I believe they claim a 4 hour total charge time with a 50amp 240volt charger.

Charging stations are showing up outside restaurants, movie theaters, and shopping centers, as well as office buildings. If you're making a 600 mile long journey, won't you stop to eat somewhere along the way?

And is everyone here single? As a married man, I'm half of a two-car family. If an electric car won't work for the trip, we can take the wife's car.

Personally, I really want a Model S. I've wanted one for a while. Even before they went on sale. But I didn't put my money down in time to take delivery before my old car needed to be replaced, so I picked up a used 760Li. You can probably tell, since I opted for a V12, that the economy of an electric car is not the driving factor for me. I do plan to sell it and get a Tesla in the next 18 to 24 months. I will probably miss some of the 760's features, but the Tesla is just a cool car for so many reasons. I mean, it's practically an M5 that costs less than $10 to fill up. While the batteries are imported, the technology to make everything work and the whole rest of the car is fabricated in the USA. I could keep going, but lets just say there are a multitude of reasons why a Tesla will be my next car.

#21 · (Edited)
People always miss reality when it comes to electric cars. Any perceived fuel savings is offset by the price premium of the car and the replacement of battery packs after 5-10 years at a cost of $30k or more according to Tesla. What will that due for resale on a 5 year old tesla that may need $30k in batteries?

Are they cool? Yes
Do they save you money? Absolutely not.

Also the Tesla gets "up to" 300 miles on a charge when new. Expect 150 miles or less after a couple years. So be sure to read the warranty carefully.

Tesla was considering separating the car and battery warranty. You know what that means.

#29 ·
People always miss reality when it comes to electric cars. Any perceived fuel savings is offset by the price premium of the car and the replacement of battery packs after 5-10 years at a cost of $30k or more according to Tesla. What will that due for resale on a 5 year old tesla that may need $30k in batteries?

Are they cool? Yes
Do they save you money? Absolutely not.

Also the Tesla gets "up to" 300 miles on a charge when new. Expect 150 miles or less after a couple years. So be sure to read the warranty carefully.

Tesla was considering separating the car and battery warranty. You know what that means.
You are right, people do miss reality. They constantly try and find the financial argument in buying an electric car. There is no financial advantage, just like how cars were not affordable when they first came out, or plasma TVs, or cell phones. If you wait for them to be financially better before making them, you will wait forever. It takes economies of scale, real world experience and refinement for the technology to overcome. But from what I have seen the S actually is a BETTER care than its petrol competition. And at $100k, no one is trying to see which car will be more economical over the long run....

#24 · (Edited)
Multiple automotive mags have reported 300 plus mile range with a heavy right foot.

This would work for me around Houston. I would never drive it out of it's range. When I lived in VA and made trips up to PA and NY, I might have some range anxiety as those trips were just under 300 miles each, and we used to take either one of our cars. But for the way we live now, it could easily fit into our lifestyle.

Again, if I could lease for 3 years, I'd be on the waiting list and the 535 would be at CarMax.

#25 · (Edited)
Multiple automotive mags have reported 300 plus mile range with a heavy right foot.

This would work for me around Houston. I would never drive it out of it's range. When I lived in VA and made trips up to PA and NY, I might have some range anxiety as those trips were just under 300 miles each, and we used to take either one of our cars. But for the way we live now, it could easily fit into our lifestyle.

Again, if I could lease for 3 years, I'd be on the waiting list and the 535 would be at CarMax.
MotorTrend tested the Model S with some interesting results with respect to performance, range, comfort, and comparative costs.: 2012 Tesla Model S Test and Range Verification

I think this car would be a great car for its intended audience. The exterior has me a bit ambivalent though, in my eyes it looks like a cross between a Maserati Quattroporte and a Kia Optima. Anyway, it's not for me since I drive more than 250 miles probably 2-3 times per month.

#26 ·
#27 · (Edited)
It's really a gorgeous car and they blend in that hatchback seamlessly. Very similar to the new Jaguars. Am I a buyer at nearly $90k for the loaded 85kw version? No, but if they sell enough of these and can remain financially viable and can get some other more mass produced versions out (with Toyota) there is no reason they shouldn't still be around in 20 years and competing in segments below $40k. It very well could be that Tesla's real long term plan is to basically become self supporting and then just become a division in a large carmakers portfolio. One of the main hindrances at massive short term growth to normal buyers (outside of people with F-you money who buy 4 cars at a time and rarely keep them past 3 years), will be our sh**ty infrastructure (electrical or otherwise) outside of well-heeled areas. Normal folks will also need these cars to run with little maintenance involved for 5+ years.

#28 · (Edited)
I'm no tree hugger or new law pusher but I would vote for a federal law stating that every taxi (Leaf ) and town car ( Tesla S and X ) in the nation has to be an electric. After 10h at 30mph or 5h at 60 mph the driver needs an hours break so re-fueling should not be an issue. This could also make gas cheaper for us who treasure the noise of a highly tuned combustion engine.

#32 ·
Here in Silicon Valley there are a lot of workplaces with charging stations. That may not be something we see across the country, but it's not uncommon here in NorCal and it makes the car so much more viable for those that can take advantage. Either way, Tesla has done an astonishing job with the Model S. It is without doubt the most complete, most capable and most game changing car in its class to date. This is a car designed and built right here in the Bay Area. The US industry had its ass handed to it by more innovative competition, right here is something that's leagues ahead of anything class-comparable from Germany.

#33 ·
I test drove a Tesla Model S today.

I put down 2 deposits - one for the Model S and one for the Model X.
Congrats!

The Telsa S appears to be a great car. With the battery placed low on the chassis the center of gravity provides great handling. Torque is instant. Technology is cool. There is a lot to like about this car.

Would I buy one now - No. I'm not an overly early adopter. I'll wait until the kinks have been worked out, charging is improved, and prices come down. I don't think that's too far in the future.

As of today, IMO Telsa S makes a great second car (if you are single) or third car (if you are married) for someone who can afford $100K for a second or third car. As a second or third car, who cares if the range is "only" 300 miles - you have other cars in the fleet for that.:thumbup:

#35 ·
I hear ya...my DD once was an '08 M6 convertible.

#40 ·
I really feel good when I think about the Tesla products.

They are american, and as technic pointed out, they dont depend on oil countries, which is a great thing.

they offer extra passenger seating in the trunk/storage area under hood which has hardly impressed any.

Instead If they had a huge battery pack under the hood and raise the range to some 600 - 700 miles... that would silence the critics harping on the 300 mile range. :)

#42 ·
I really feel good when I think about the Tesla products.

They are american, and as technic pointed out, they dont depend on oil countries, which is a great thing.

they offer extra passenger seating in the trunk/storage area under hood which has hardly impressed any.

Instead If they had a huge battery pack under the hood and raise the range to some 600 - 700 miles... that would silence the critics harping on the 300 mile range. :)
The other thing that the Tesla experience reminded me of was the first iPhone (which I bought on day 1). Everyone said Apple would fail, but Apple showed that Silicon Valley can take on an old tired industry and revolutionalize it. And that is what Tesla has done here - they have brought the ideas and enterprise of Slicon Valley to revolutionaries a product which has only evolved incrementally for the last several decades.

#41 ·
America is a net exporter of oil.

#43 · (Edited)
That is news to me. and I am not kidding. That's how ignorant I am. :(

But still, if this thing really goes big, (like Apple/Microsoft/Google) to an extent where Tesla offers cars that would cater to more sections of society around the world and not just hollywood celebrities - that will be good for america AND world in general.

because the oil countries will suddenly find a hole in their trump card.

#45 · (Edited)
BTW I drove back home for the holidays today. 690 miles. The M5 is a fantastic machine, especially the Stealth model.

The power, the handling, the comfort, the sheer sense of connectedness.

So with all this talk of the Tesla don't get the wrong impression - The Tesla can't hold a candle to the M5.

#47 · (Edited)
Tesla S drove by me on the freeway today, the first I've seen. Was white. Honestly, I was disappointed. I thought it didn't look as good in person as it does in pictures. Had a bit of a Hyundai feel to it.

It "sounded" good though ;-)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.